TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: fuel fill problem
Vanagon914 Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:24 am

83 2.5 suby swap. I am having a problem when I go to fill up the tank at the pump. The pump clicks and stops immediately after starting maybe 3 seconds of flow.its a new tank with all new seals. I took the evap canister hose off thinking there could be some obstruction creating back pressure and no change. Tried 3 different gas stations. There is no obstruction that I can see in the filler neck. Any ideas?

MarkWard Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:48 pm

Metal or plastic filler neck?

djkeev Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:57 pm

You're not the first.

Follow this link

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6236044#6236044

Scroll down to fuel tank filling issues.

Lots of reading to do!

Dave

dobryan Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:56 pm

Vanagon914 wrote: 83 2.5 suby swap. I am having a problem when I go to fill up the tank at the pump. The pump clicks and stops immediately after starting maybe 3 seconds of flow.its a new tank with all new seals. I took the evap canister hose off thinking there could be some obstruction creating back pressure and no change. Tried 3 different gas stations. There is no obstruction that I can see in the filler neck. Any ideas?

It sounds like you may have an obstruction at the bottom of the fill tube. When the tank level is below the grommet for the fill tube I'd remove the fill tube and check it out.

Corwyn Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:02 pm

I have a '90 Westy and was told there is a little floaty ball in the bottom of the neck - it blocks the neck when the tank is full, causing the 1/2 burp when filling up. Maybe its related . . .