TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: I caught the bug... or Vanagon
Bloomquist Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:42 am

I have been lurking on this website since I got my first VW in 2002. In the meantime I have owned various other VWs and Audis, but I have wanted a Vanagon for quite a few years now.

Yesterday it finally came true. I SCORED (what I believe) an 84 GL with a blown motor and $875 back reg for $1000.

My plan is to sell the blown motor to be rebuilt and buy a rebuilt 1.9 for the time being, later to be swapped with a 1.8T.

Im excited to finally be part of this amazing world and cant wait to share this build.

YosemiteBound Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:50 am

As long as there ain't any gnarly rust on that thing - that's def a score. Welcome to the madness! And don't be so quick to swap out the 1.9 when ya put it in there. It's the best of the lot as far as I'm concerned.

danfromsyr Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:15 pm

nice job, let the coolant madness begin..

I do LIKE LIKE LIKE that 2tone combo.

ALIKA T3 Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:52 am

Oh I've seen it on FB!

Nice !

Looks decent for the price :wink:

tjet Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:00 am

Looks good.

Keep looking in the classified for a "take out" used 1.9 or 2.1 WBX's

joetiger Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:32 am

Congratulations! That's a great color combo.

Bloomquist Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:33 am

tjet wrote: Looks good.

I have seen both 1.9 and 2.1 rebuilt motors here local on CL for 2400 and 2900 respectively. I will have to research fueling changes for the 2.1 if I were to go that route. Is it much?

Russpauly Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:54 am

Bloomquist wrote: tjet wrote: Looks good.

I have seen both 1.9 and 2.1 rebuilt motors here local on CL for 2400 and 2900 respectively. I will have to research fueling changes for the 2.1 if I were to go that route. Is it much?

Where in California are you? Looks like a great buy from the outside. Need more pictures though!

Bloomquist Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:07 am

Russpauly wrote: Bloomquist wrote: tjet wrote: Looks good.

Where in California are you? Looks like a great buy from the outside. Need more pictures though!

I am in San Francisco, purchased it in Santa Rosa.

Ill post more pics! I need to snap some. I currently have it squeezed into my garage so we will see what I can do. But the body is super clean except for one rust spot on the roof that needs to be repaired. It has been garaged so the paint it still pretty decent. Should buff up nicely.

Ahwahnee Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:59 pm

Bloomquist wrote: ...I am in San Francisco...

Be aware you are in an area that has recently seen several Vanagon thefts.

Nothing to lose sleep over but you might consider a secret kill switch or such, particularly if you are not parking in a secure garage.

Bloomquist Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:03 pm

Ahwahnee wrote: Bloomquist wrote: ...I am in San Francisco...

Be aware you are in an area that has recently seen several Vanagon thefts.

Nothing to lose sleep over but you might consider a secret kill switch or such, particularly if you are not parking in a secure garage.

Thanks for the heads up! Currently it is in my garage safe but definitely something to add before getting road ready.

jimf909 Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:21 pm

Nice van! Enjoy.

tjet Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:01 pm

Bloomquist wrote: tjet wrote: Looks good.

Several people here have swapped their 1.9's to 2.1's. It's not too difficult. I wouldn't dismiss a 1.9 though. They are very good engines.

Here's one, but I would look close at it. The backside of the intake valves are visible and will give you a good story. The price is right for a runner though.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2236403

You may need a later harness.

The best thing to do is place a WTB ad for a complete (running, not apart) engine.

The engine in my van is a 2.2 wbx. It only had about 60k miles on it when I picked it up. The owner wanted it gone from his garage so he could install a subaru. I paid $750, and it came with a new clutch

Russpauly Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:31 am

tjet wrote: Bloomquist wrote: tjet wrote: Looks good.

Several people here have swapped their 1.9's to 2.1's. It's not too difficult. I wouldn't dismiss a 1.9 though. They are very good engines.

Here's one, but I would look close at it. The backside of the intake valves are visible and will give you a good story. The price is right for a runner though.

You may need a later harness.

The best thing to do is place a WTB ad for a complete (running, not apart) engine.

The engine in my van is a 2.2 wbx. It only had about 60k miles on it when I picked it up. The owner wanted it gone from his garage so he could install a subaru. I paid $750, and it came with a new clutch

Just about the same price paid for my replacement WBX. Got lucky though being able to get one as quick as we did. But same thing, guy wanted it gone so he could get his Subie motor in.