TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1.6 Diesel Non Turbo Thermostat
vonauspuff Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:26 pm

Hello All,

Just picked up our freshly imported 1990 Doka Syncro. It has a factory 1.6 non turbo diesel, which I have zero knowledge of. It blew the plastic coolant hose junction/tower that sits on top of the engine two hours onto a three hour drive home. I have that and the two temp sensors on order.
Since it overheated I'm going to replace the thermostat. I've been searching all day but can't narrow it down. Can anyone tell me the part number for the correct thermostat and thermostat housing? Also, I understand the engine code for the 1.6 TD is JX. What is the code for the 1.6 non turbo?
Thanks

sphet Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:17 pm

vonauspuff wrote: Hello All,

Just picked up our freshly imported 1990 Doka Syncro. It has a factory 1.6 non turbo diesel, which I have zero knowledge of. It blew the plastic coolant hose junction/tower that sits on top of the engine two hours onto a three hour drive home. I have that and the two temp sensors on order.
Since it overheated I'm going to replace the thermostat. I've been searching all day but can't narrow it down. Can anyone tell me the part number for the correct thermostat and thermostat housing? Also, I understand the engine code for the 1.6 TD is JX. What is the code for the 1.6 non turbo?
Thanks

If it is a 1.6na the engine code is CS. Thatís what my 1982 diesel is. However, Iím surprised a 1990 is an NA. Sure it is 1.6?

Thermostat: https://www.vancafe.com/056121113D-p/056121113d.htm
Housing seems harder to source. Maybe NLA?

ALIKA T3 Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:41 am

The Syncro never came with NA diesel, just the JX Turbo diesel.

You won't find the plastic flanges at the US retailers, they only came in the T3 about 1985-86. You can upgrade them to aluminum though with the corresponding senders, just don't use the ground wire, not needed on metallic flanges.

The part number is on the flange, if you're looking online, you can use JX as an engine code for the plastic flanges. Use 1.6D CS 1982 for example if you want the aluminum stuff.

old_man Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:13 am

I think the part you are talking about is 030 121 121 B. Avalable at Rock Auto.
Thermostat I think 056 121 113 A with AC or 044 121 113 without AC. A bunch of other part numbers will probably work for that as well. Lots of thermostats will fit in there.

This is a useful place to pull part numbers from

vonauspuff Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:12 am

Thanks All,

I guess I was asking the wrong question. I should of been asking "What engine do I have?" When I first saw the ad, it stated the Doka has a 1.6 Diesel non turbo. Being the Diesel rookie that I am, I rolled with it. This is the reason I could not narrow down part numbers. Last night I asked the seller, who was the middle man, what powers this Doka? The reply this morning, it has a 1Y 1900 Diesel out of a Golf 3, BINGO! The stars are aligned and and my sleepless night is long forgotten. Thanks to all who replied for the knowledge.

MarkWard Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:35 am

A picture is worth a thousand words.