TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: in need of intervention Page: 1, 2  Next
Mickey bitsko Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:49 pm

Help me guys,
i'm having thoughts of selling my 70' baja and buying a geo tracker... i know i know , i feel so dirty. :cry:
we've had great times and there's nothing wrong with her. during these hot summers i long for air conditioning and being able to go at freeway speeds.
when i look at pictures of baja bugs it makes me feel warm all over and they'er so darn much fun and simple.... please help me :agrue:

Wulfthang Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:21 pm

Don't do it!!! It's just wasted money because you know you'll be back and then you'll just have to buy all that stuff again! What you need is more venting and a bigger engine to go faster!

Mickey bitsko Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:35 am

thanx, hmm.. more venting?
there is a fellow enthusiast that designed and built a tilt out windshield on his
63'. i have ask if he could build one for my 70'... $700 installed...ouch!!
i installed rear view mirrors that have a cage around them rendering my wing windows greatly restricting airflow. however the mirrors are staying, so i need a plan 'b'.
i will do some research on more airflow ,
any suggestion where to start?

fortunately the tracker i was considering has been sold.

weasel_ugs Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:26 pm

Go convertible, all the venting you need!

jsturtlebuggy Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:44 pm

You can still find A/C systems for Bugs. I see them pop up here and on Craigslist for sale.

Mickey bitsko Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:30 pm

thought about cutting up the roof , i really don't want to go that way,
i don't want a/c in my bug defeats it's/my purpose. i think my real issue is
towing it on vacation then needing a runaround car on busy freeways it's
not fun .

richardcraineum Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:45 pm

go ahead, trade your bad ass baja for some "GEO" tracker thats probably mostly wore out compared to how your baja has weathered the storms. if your even thinking about trading a baja for a geo you dont deserve to own the baja! go join a geo tracker forum!
waaaa, i want a/c like the other millenials , next ill get a man bun..
you suck!

( hope this helps change your mind, only meant in fun )

Mickey bitsko Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:42 pm

ok, hold the phone, i ain't havin no man bun, fuhget about it ! [-X
i started looking through the 'post your baja' pix and i just can't do it.
this is my 2nd baja, my first was pure love and after i sold it i REALLY had
sellers remorse and i would feel the same way again.
as has been suggested it just need to get more air circulation.
after making my last post i realize that my going to a city and using it as a
get around rig happens SO RARELY it doesn't make sense.

thanx guys.... but i still need to get more air in the cab
need suggestions?

dustymojave Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:35 pm

A '70 Bug has the vent through the front hood, doesn't it? Nope...'71 is 1st year for that...

Hmmm....

When I was in high school in the early 70s, my friend had a '66 bug. He had a little 12V fan under the dash.

Still available.

https://www.zoro.com/roadpro-car-fan-heavy-duty-12v-rp-1179/i/G8897847/

His came with a cigarette lighter plug on the cord, like this one, and the Bug of course didn't have a lighter. So he asked me to help him hook it up. We went to the auto parts store and bought an auxiliary cigarette lighter with a chrome sheet metal bracket. Fastened it under the dash near the steering column and fished the wires through a grommet, IIRC, for the turn indicator wiring. Connected to an existing fuse and grounded to a screw. Put the mount that you could slide the fan into and out of under the ash tray and he used it set on oscillate.

Wulfthang Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:31 pm

Ok it's a Baja Bug so it's supposed to look tough, right? What about small air scoops on the roof? Something like small hood scoops with about a 2" opening? Put mesh on it though. I had a sunroof on a van that I could reverse open so it was like a wide air scoop to blow air down on top of us. There were several of us in the van. A big bee got sucked in and flew in the back. You never heard so much screaming and shouting! They were sacrificing each other back there!

calvinater Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:22 am

Pop out rear side windows.

Mickey bitsko Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:37 am

thanks again for the motivation..and good ideas, Yes my baja does look a little rough and tough like most,
not now nor will it ever be a show bug,
i like the fan under dash idea and i think the hood scoop is a REALLY good idea.
i've closed off the air intake on the hood to protect the wiring and keep any water from getting under the hood,
perhaps two scoops , one on either side of center and down into the cabin under the dash. i'll have to figure out how to block the air in winter

dustymojave Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:20 pm

Bugs from somewhere around 1965 + have a pair of air ducts to provide heat to the back seats. There is a lever between the front seats to control a butterfly flap to shut it off or open it by cable.

Having an air inlet in the front hood (where the 71+ Bugs have the cabin air intake into a small chamber - and maybe the stock air chamber would work for that) into a pair of air ducts with those air control flaps would not be air tight, but would shut off MOST of the air flow through those vents when you DON'T want the air flow. It wouldn't need a scoop on the hood. Just a cut-out opening or a set of drilled or hole-sawed holes with window screen underneath. Then the air chamber would need a drain for rain water that gets in like the stock one has.

The stock air chamber has knobs on the dash to open air control buttterflys. I prefer the idea of levers to control them, because the stock knob deal never seemed to me to work worth what the dog left on the back lawn and most of them I've encountered over the years have been broken.

weasel_ugs Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:40 pm

calvinater wrote: Pop out rear side windows.
This!

Wulfthang Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:48 pm

besides all that, you're in Colorado!!!!! What heat????!!!! It's 106 degrees her4e today but will cool way down this coming week. All the way to 104!

Mickey bitsko Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:09 am

don't know the build date on my bug but i did not get pop outs , i'll check on after market ?

i spend summers on colorado for now and the bug spends the summers in NM where where i spend the winter for now.
in the winter we like to go to tucson rock and gem show towing the bug and exploring southern az.and nm it's not terrible hot but at times in the winter it can get pretty warm.
the remedy that has been suggested many times is air flow, i totally agree just gotta figure out how.

lol.. i know it's hot in az however here in in southern colo. at 7200' and 95*+
the sun will burn your skin in short order, only saving grace is it cools down
at night.
thanx guys

frenchroast Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:54 am

weasel_ugs wrote: calvinater wrote: Pop out rear side windows.
This!
Another vote here for rear pop-out windows. Also - and being serious here - put a medium sized towel on vinyl seats in the summer. You can use it to wipe the fog off the windows in the winter, too. No shame in an inexpensive and reliable appliance car like a Kia for daily duty.

Wulfthang Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:07 am

I just tried out these new things on my last desert run and they worked very well. One is a kind of cool wrap towel (Ebay) that you make wet and then wrap around your head or neck. I tucked it in my shirt and it stayed cool for quite a while. Then just re-wet it. It worked very well and I think it made a difference. The other is a hat that I got for my wife that works on the same principle. You wet it down and it keeps your head cool. They're both made of some kind of material like a chamois and absorb a lot of water.

Mickey bitsko Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:45 am

would like to know more on these wraps you speak of,
link or name of product?

being on a fixed income, i'm a geezer, i don't have the luxury of
an extra vehicle , any 'extra' cash i rat hole i spend on the bug
which to me IS a luxury.

looking in to pop outs as i type

thanx again

Wulfthang Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:34 pm

The ones that I got are called Frog Toggs. They come in different colors and sizes. I got the towel size for about 12 bucks on Fleabay. They hold a lot of water.