dustymojave Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:21 pm

Mickey bitsko wrote: would like to know more on these wraps you speak of,
link or name of product?

being on a fixed income, i'm a geezer, i don't have the luxury of
an extra vehicle , any 'extra' cash i rat hole i spend on the bug
which to me IS a luxury.

looking in to pop outs as i type

thanx again

Pop-out rear 1/4 windows are not an original equipment item. They were, IIRC, a dealer add-on. They were never very good for a car used hard offroad, as hinges and pop-out mechanism both suffer from vertical shaking. But they're FINE for mild offroad use.

I too am a retarded geezer (oops...should not use the 'R' word...I meant "Retired").

I have a couple if types of wraps. Some are made of what looks like a bandanna but it has pellets inside that absorb water and hold it in for a long time. You wrap it around your head or neck and it does a lot to keep you cool. When it gets warm, you just plunk it into cool or cold water to refresh it. The other style is a material like artificial chamois that is hard when dry, but when soaked becomes soft and also wraps around head or neck to cool you. Since I was a kid I've used regular bandannas much the same. They don't last as long before they need to be refreshed. The labels are long gone from mine, so I can't give you the brand names offhand. Should be easy to google.

Mickey bitsko Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:23 pm

ok. good news for me, found both pop outs locally in NM
need to replace the rubber and put em' in. that's a start.

Wulfthang Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:44 pm

dustymojave wrote: Mickey bitsko wrote: would like to know more on these wraps you speak of,
link or name of product?

being on a fixed income, i'm a geezer, i don't have the luxury of
an extra vehicle , any 'extra' cash i rat hole i spend on the bug
which to me IS a luxury.

looking in to pop outs as i type

thanx again

Pop-out rear 1/4 windows are not an original equipment item. They were, IIRC, a dealer add-on. They were never very good for a car used hard offroad, as hinges and pop-out mechanism both suffer from vertical shaking. But they're FINE for mild offroad use.

I too am a retarded geezer (oops...should not use the 'R' word...I meant "Retired").

I have a couple if types of wraps. Some are made of what looks like a bandanna but it has pellets inside that absorb water and hold it in for a long time. You wrap it around your head or neck and it does a lot to keep you cool. When it gets warm, you just plunk it into cool or cold water to refresh it. The other style is a material like artificial chamois that is hard when dry, but when soaked becomes soft and also wraps around head or neck to cool you. Since I was a kid I've used regular bandannas much the same. They don't last as long before they need to be refreshed. The labels are long gone from mine, so I can't give you the brand names offhand. Should be easy to google.

Mine are the chamois type and they work pretty good. We just did a long trip last month to an old mining area in Southern Arizona and it was HOT! I had the chamois cooler towel thingy wrapped around my neck and tucked under my shirt. Just for giggles, I ran a while without it just to see what the difference was. It was a huge difference!