TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Struggling on a 74 Ghia - Rebuilding the brakes from the spindle
lizs5150 Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:40 pm

Ok...need some help. I purchased my 74 Ghia and she needs a lot of attention. The good news is I have time and parts! In my first adventure, I removed everything (inner bearing/outer bearing/washer/clamp and rotor) and replaced them with all new items (SKF bearings and brembo rotors. Everything was going great and then i tapped on the cap and now that tapping seems to have loosen the entire ensemble (yeah, it wiggles and is very loose). In the replacement I was very careful in replacing everything as it appeared....it seats well, and rolls fine, but remains loose? The only think I can think of is that the bearings had a casing that wasn't used (not in the original set up nor does it fit over the seals, so it was left out). Open for all suggestions! Thanks in advance for your help.

TDCTDI Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:20 pm

Welcome to The Samba!

There have been some issues with replacement bearings with races that were too large an ID that causes the adjusting nut to bottom on the spindle before the bearings got tight. I replaced a defective set of chinesium bearings with a set of FAG bearings & the problem went away.

lizs5150 Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:45 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I've tried new rotors (Oriley to Brembo), FAGs, SKFs and all have the same feedback. I am stumped....

74 Thing Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:38 am

Post some photos of both the spindle and the rotor.

myghiarocks Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:52 am

The only think I can think of is that the bearings had a casing that wasn't used (not in the original set up nor does it fit over the seals, so it was left out). Open for all suggestions! Thanks in advance for your help

This last line has me confused. The inner races of the new bearings must be installed by you in the new rotors. Did you complete that?
If yes, then I am stumped.

74 Thing Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:27 am

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1605159

You should be able to take the bearings out of your rotor and slide them onto your spindles (both inner and outer). They should fit without any play. If there is play then measure the spindle diameter and see if they are out of spec or you have the wrong bearings.

In the photo you can see the inner bearing on the spindle. The outer bearing came apart with the inner race still on the spindle. You have to dremel cut in and then get it off with a chisel.