TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Help identify this front beam
custom500 Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:10 pm

okay this beam is in a buggy it has a tube measurement from top of tube to lower bottom of tube to be about 10" i am told it is a 68 bus but the spindles only have 3 bolt hole not 4 and all the ball joints point down i am looking to put front disc brakes on this but i need to know exactly what it is

16CVs Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:26 pm

Looks like it might be from a Corvair or a Mustang II. You might want to ask in the Air Cooled bug Forum.
We here only identify with Vanagons.

Stacy

mackaymanx Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:02 pm

Looks to be from a bay window kombi not Vanagon

jsturtlebuggy Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:10 pm

The beam is from a 1968 and later VW Bus. It has been modified with the steering knuckles cut off the bottom and welded higher up on the spindles. The stock suspension stops have been cut off.
Interesting rack and pinion steering with power steering unit.
The wide 5 (205mm) wheel bolt pattern was use from 1968 to 1970. 1971 and later Buses use a smaller size bolt pattern and did come stock with disc brakes.

Very interesting seeing what someone has done with installing Bus front suspension on a buggy.
I have to ask how does it ride?

16CVs Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:17 pm

Are you sure it's not from a Corvair ?

Stacy

mukluk Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:31 pm

16CVs wrote: Are you sure it's not from a Corvair ?

Stacy
Pretty safe to say it's not a Corvair front end.
https://assets.hemmings.com/story_image/623476-1000-0.jpg?rev=3

busdaddy Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:34 pm

WoW! :shock:

Looks like it was once a bay bus beam from here.

jeffrey8164 Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:44 pm

jsturtlebuggy wrote: It has been modified with...
Very interesting seeing what someone has done with installing Bus front suspension on a buggy.
I have to ask how does it ride?

I've seen a few wild ones over the years. Seems with a tape measure and a level, certain people can make amazing things happen.

Those spindles have a VW marking on them so I would try to find out what those are and plan accordingly. They've already been cut and welded so welding some caliper brackets onto them seems to be do-able, but I really don't know what I'm talking about. Things do have to be plumb so that would point to a fixture for machining a mounting surface.

Maybe the wheel bearings have a number on them you can reference to the drum. That would be a start but I'm afraid the long answer is that this is completely custom and the so will the disc brake solution be.

custom500 Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:06 pm

okay i have a odd duck,, so forgive me all but this is my first ordeal in this realm but are the spindles from the bus or are they 68 beetle if i knew what the spindles are for i can order a brake kit for the spindles and the reason i ask is i have seen pictures of bus spindles and from what i have seen is they have 4 bolt hole two on top and two near the bottom, these have 3 holes what bus had the 3 hole spindle or did they just move the steering arm or are these spindles modified beetle,, the steering works really well i can spin the wheel with my finger seems to work well

custom500 Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:19 pm

i did just find a set of these spindles on ebay and yes i can see where mine have been cut and rewelded and the spindles on ebay came off of a 1973 bus but they give the modle

jsturtlebuggy Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:42 pm

Looking closer at the spindles, the two bolt holes in the rear look like they are the caliper mounting holes for a disc brakes. They should measure 12mm that the size of the bolt that would hold a caliper to spindle.
Empi does make a disc brake kit for the 1968-1970 Bus. It made to use the early spindles that do not have a caliper mount on them.
The kit #22-2940 and is the wide 5 bolt pattern for the wheel. I do not see any replacement parts it just list the complete kits.
Empi also has wheel adapter to go from the later 5 on 112mm wheel bolt pattern to the early wide 5 #9482
Wolfgang International in Redding, CA also sells the wheel adapters
www.wolfgangint.com

custom500 Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:54 am

as i look at that kit i notice the caliper mount brackets has 4 bolt holes and these spindles has 3 bolt holes does that matter that is what's confusing me as they are at it looks like 11 and 2 o'clock on top and 7 and 5 on the bottom and these spindles the holes are at 2, 4, and 9 o'clock

jsturtlebuggy Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:24 am

I thing your spindles are of the 1971 and later Bus that came from the factory with disc brakes is why you are seeing less bolt holes.
Disc brake spindles only had a splash shield bolted on spindle using small bolts and use the two 12mm bolts holes to mount a caliper to.
Someone used 1970 and earlier cut down brake drums for the wide 5 wheel bolt (5 on 205mm)pattern and installed them on later spindles.
The availability of aftermarket wheels for the later Bus wheel bolt pattern of 5 on a 112mm is very limited. It one of the reasons that wheel adapters are made for them.

custom500 Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:13 am

i believe you may be correct but what bus model i took the hub off and measured where the inner bearing goes it is 1.250 and you beter see where someone moved the steering arm to the top and this spindle has in fact two 12mm bolt holes the other hole i was counting is for a dust shield i believe here are a addition 3 and they are approx 8mm hear is a clear picture

jsturtlebuggy Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:41 pm

The information I find is the wheel bearings, both inner and outer fit from 1964 to 1979 Buses.
The grease seals fit from 1968 to 1979
You may want to ask the moderators to move your thread to he HBB Off Road section since your buggy is used off road. You may have other people that look at that section that have more information and can also help you out.

And welcome to the Samba, it is a great place for information.

custom500 Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:45 pm

i found out minutes ago jbugs can get all the factory parts it is a 73 bus spindle and uses the 5x112 hub thank you all for your time and assistance

jsturtlebuggy Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:23 am

Good to hear you found the parts you needs.