TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Jokon Semaphore Replacements
bigbulli Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:16 pm

Does anyone have a wiring diagram they could share. Mine work OK but the indicator light on the speedo doesn't come on.

TinCanFab Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:15 pm

Have you tried with a regular bulb in the Jokon?

bigbulli Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:57 am

TinCanFab wrote: Have you tried with a regular bulb in the Jokon?

I did think that might be the issue but it wasn't.

There is a power wire and an earth back to the speedo. If I earth the earth wire to the body the light comes on. But I can't figure out the circuit which should only earth when the indicator is on.

Bub Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:18 pm

You want it to flash? Or is that an LED flasher bulb?
Typically you run the circuit through a blinker relay. When you move the switch it completes the circuit (through the flasher) the bulb is always grounded (since the circuit is closed via the switch) and it will flash.
If that bulb is a flasher then forget the blinker relay.

There are a million variations on this depending on hardware, but that's where you start.

If it's just the light in the speedo you want to get working, it probably has to ground through the flasher. Remember that the lower speedo lights have the housing live from the ignition switch (and the bulbs ground at the oil pressure and regulator to light up )And it may not work since that bulb outside is an LED. I got mine to work by adding a wire from each semaphore circuit to the speedo bulb- but put a diode in each wire. The diode keeps the circuits separate/ so current doesn't go back to the other side.

bigbulli Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:58 am

Thanks Bub!

bigbulli Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:40 am

Still looking for a copy of the original paper instructions which came with the Jokon's

ZENVWDRIVER Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:03 pm

… don't want my Jokons to blink - just connected as the semaphores were - real easy...