TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1982 1.9L Diesel Vanagon Build
perderbear Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:43 pm

Hello there,

I recently bought a nice 1982 1.9L Diesel Vanagon, and am starting to get to work on it. I fixed most of what was broken in the engine compartment and the linkeage in–, as well as the unbelievably squeaky- stick shifting system. So now it's time to get more into interiors and exteriors, though it is the first van i'm trying to build, so i don't have too much experience at it. Perhaps one could give me some advice on how to proceed with the interiors as well as exterior (paint and body filler) now that it is completely gutted and that I got most of the rust away on the outside.

I would love some advice on the procedure and products useful for things such as:

1. insulation, so what kind I should use.
2. Paint, how to paint it, so what kind of paint, primers and so on.
3. Layout of interiors
4. Cabinetry, Panels, flooring and so on, so what kind of material you might have experience with and could recommend, and what kind of layout you would use.
5. Wiring, some tricks and tips perhaps
6. and Most importantly, how I should proceed. I kind of find myself doing a bit of this and that all the time and just can't find a proper structure to follow. I would love to hear what you all did or would do in a step to step guide from gutted to finish.

This is where it's at:

Would love any advice!

Thank you! :D

Gnarlodious Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:45 pm

That black tarpaper will come off leaving a nice painted surface. First use a heat gun and putty knife to lift it off. Then spray the surface with WD40, its an excellent solvent, and let it sit for a while. Use elbow grease and old tee shirts to work off the gooey black tar. Continue until you get all the layers off. Lastly, use spray can ether (diesel engine starter) to loosen up the last layer of glue and the WD40, continuing until its all off. I recommend the expensive ether (Valvoline, Prestone etc) because the cheap stuff has some nasty hydrocarbons in it. USE ADEQUATE VENTILATION! NO FIRES!

As for the yellow interior glue, its best sandpapered off from what I can tell, but then you will have to paint which is what I did (my interior is bare painted metal). I had success 20 years ago when I first built my interior by using methylene chloride to get the glue off, but be warned. First of all it is a toxic inhalant, much worse than ether. Second, it is hard to obtain. Third, if that yellow carpet glue is dried and sun-baked on it won’t work. But if it was covered until now it might work.

perderbear Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:47 pm

Wow, that is one hell of a job to get that rubber off..

This is the current work in progress.

using a hard putty knife and hammer to get the thick stuff off, tomorrow i'll continue with WD40 as you mentioned!

Thank you!