TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Does anyone recognize these arms, Bus?
PUMAGUY Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:50 am

Hi, my 64 Baja has a different triangular pattern than the 66 Beetle swing axle I picked up. I think it was possibly was from a Bus ? There are also mounts for a traction type bar to eliminate wheel hop? I was thinking of just drilling a hole where it needs in the arm to mount the beetle bearing holder/shock mount? Its not that far off and it's only the one bolt.

Dale M. Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:31 am

Basically your spring plates are hacked.... What you do is dependent on what replacement configuration you intend to use.... It appears it may have at some point has a bus trans-axle with gear reduction boxes, BUT if you are going to to use standard type 1 swing axle I would dump the crap and just get proper replacement spring plates....

Dale

PUMAGUY Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:55 am

I didn't think that it could be the reduction gearbox bolt pattern. Nor did I think of replacing the spring plates. Thank you !!!!

Dale M. Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:59 am

Picture of gear reduction unit from "gallery"...

Dale

PUMAGUY Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:19 pm

Thanks, that is the triangle pattern I have. Makes me wonder if the swing arms are going to be too wide for the stock 66 Beetle trans and swing axle's? I'm going to have to hang the transmission and see how everything lines up. Thanks again, Tony

Dale M. Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:50 pm

Think you will find with stock 64 spring plates everything will be OK...

I case you don't have any...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1844649

Dale

PUMAGUY Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:25 am

Thanks again !!

weasel_ugs Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:04 pm

Nice, a fellow baja convertible owner! Even the same color! I have never seen suicide doors on a convertible, thats cool.

PUMAGUY Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:39 pm

rkwfxd Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:32 am

I have a 64 baja. Looks like a previous owner cut your stock spring plate and then bolted a second one to it on the outside and at a downward angle to give it some lift + lengthen the wheelbase a bit.

dustymojave Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:39 pm

Poor man's AtomWerks spring plates!