TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: The 21 and under club Page: 1, 2  Next
Ceckert64 Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:11 pm

In the STF thread, the conversation started on how the younger generation (my generation) is just not into cars as much and just generally donít have a clue about these old VWs. So, I thought itíd be interesting to get a thread going and have the next generation here contribute and ďjoinĒ the thread. Iím kinda of curious who else here is part of the next gen in the VW culture. So if you want to say how you got into VWs, etc post it up. Another point of this thread is letís keep the Samba alive and not let it die out like STF. Also, they have all their beer threads that we canít necessarily join in :wink: This can also just be a general topic on the next generation in cars.

My story is I got my first VW 5 years ago when I was 11, I had though Herbie in the movies was cool, so then I got my 64, and really fell in love with them, now I also have my Squareback and possibly a bus soon and officially obsessed :D

[email protected] Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:08 pm

there have been threads like this in the past...

although i'm not your generation physically, I guess I could be mentally.

I think your generation suffers from lack of funds and lack of space, compounded by the fact you can have a beater with a/c that will do 130 for 2k. the cost of admission is high on these...

it would be interesting to see some of the replies here.

67ctbug Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:49 pm

I just turned 18. I got my beetle after I sold my '68 Plymouth because it was a real beater. That was a parts car basically. Had 2 '71 buses, both sold, have a '74 bus now that's in the line up to get done after I put the bug together and am looking at another '69 Plymouth right now. I like Volkswagen's 'cause my dad had one. And my step dad had tons. The older cars are simpler, you can actually figure stuff out on them. I'm an autobody guy and working on old stuff at the shop is so much better than new stuff. We had a '58 Olds come in for a paint job. One of the guys found a high spot on the trunk lid so he broke out his hammer and files. No more high spot. Try that on a 2019 accord :lol:

Ceckert64 Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:49 am

[email protected] wrote: there have been threads like this in the past...

although i'm not your generation physically, I guess I could be mentally.

I think your generation suffers from lack of funds and lack of space, compounded by the fact you can have a beater with a/c that will do 130 for 2k. the cost of admission is high on these...

it would be interesting to see some of the replies here. :lol:
Yeah, funding can be tricky, I have made more than enough buying and selling VW parts to pay for my Squareback and some for my bug, and the Samba is a great place for that. I have found going to antique fest where there are tons of American car guys that donít give a rip about VWs but they may have a few parts and you can get a deal on them, one parts bundle I paid $10 for I made $800 on :D Really, you can get a decently nice car for cheap, I have a friend that paid 4K for a 2011 BMW 128i that had high mileage but still looked like new with 200+ hp, so why pay 4K for a slow project car. They can be pricey if you do them right with new interior, paint, fully rebuilt motor, etc. My 2k beater is my Squareback :lol: but, it has a ratty headliner, disintegrating seats, original carpet, original paint, but, itís fun no doubt! Parts prices can be crazy for sure... Space can be a challenge for sure, I have too many parts :lol:
67ctbug wrote: I just turned 18. I got my beetle after I sold my '68 Plymouth because it was a real beater. That was a parts car basically. Had 2 '71 buses, both sold, have a '74 bus now that's in the line up to get done after I put the bug together and am looking at another '69 Plymouth right now. I like Volkswagen's 'cause my dad had one. And my step dad had tons. The older cars are simpler, you can actually figure stuff out on them. I'm an autobody guy and working on old stuff at the shop is so much better than new stuff. We had a '58 Olds come in for a paint job. One of the guys found a high spot on the trunk lid so he broke out his hammer and files. No more high spot. Try that on a 2019 accord :lol:
Nice! Iíve looked a bit at your beetle thread, it looking good! Do you have a thread on your bus? I might look at it! Thatís why I like them, my thought is; they will break down but you can normally fix it in a few minutes and be going again, a new car, probably wonít break down but there is no way you can fix it road side or even yourself at home. Also with these cars all the systems are so much lighter and easier to remove and you donít have to have a lift to do a repair. If your good at doing rust repairs on these old cars and donít mind it or like it, you can make a lot or save lots of them. Body work on new cars is horrible, the metal is paper thin, and really hard to weld on to do rust repair. The metal on the older cars is just so much better.

Tram Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:34 pm

Eckert, sounds like you are doing it the right way. Good on ya.

We see these same nail- biting worries in the Mercedes and Porsche forums also- and in the antique talking machine/ phonograph/ gramophone world. All the old- timers claim that the market is collapsing because supposedly the median age for phono collectors is 60 something, yet on the Talking Machine Forum a lot of collectors put their DOB in their profiles, and their ages show up in the "Congratulations to..." section at the bottom. When I see people in their 20s- 40s- a few times below that, down to 11!- show up down there regularly I just have to shake my head at why the egg spurts claim that all of us "knowledgeable" collectors have one foot in the grave and nobody younger collects anything. Older folks fifty or sixty years ago didn't collect this stuff either- that's why us young punks used to get old 78 RPM jazz and blues records now worth hundreds to thousands a pop at the Goodwill for a nickle or a dime apiece, and we used to find phonographs at the landfill or out at the curb. :roll:

If you're worried about losing knowledge and history- then do everything you can to start preserving it. The key is not accepting common "knowledge" and following the crowd. Anybody can modify- not everyone can conserve. Learn, learn, learn. Become a geek like a sponge. Yes, you can! :D

A great source of knowledge for how these cars originally were are things like old enthusiast magazines where these cars were reviewed. These are usually cheap on eBay. Many times these publications swiftly reveal who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't at car enthusiast cocktail hours.

cbeck Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:05 pm

Kids around here don't play with these little things. My 25-year old has his LS powered, solid axle swapped, 4Runner at my house now. Friends kid has a LS powered, four linked, air shocked, tube frame Sammy. The pic of the twin turbo LS belongs to a nineteen-year-old down the street.



Chickensoup Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:17 pm

How be the rest of my 15yr old homies doin?!

But yeah. You know those times when your grandpa starts going on rants about something you never asked about, and he starts off talking about brake shoes, then raising cattle, then he recalls that time when he chopped up a super rare cord in the 50s and made a hot rod out of it? Even if it sounds boring, you'll regret it one day when the older generation simply isn't there to tell you these things. Those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it! Idk where that quote came from, but I've heard it before. It's hard to learn something If you dont take any interest, or dont apply will power. Hitler never became super powerful and almost took over all of Europe just by sitting on his ass. And Ferdinand porsche didn't create the vw by staring at his phone. Ok, that was a bad analogy but you get the point. Right?

Twin Peaks Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:57 pm

I got my First VW/first car about 5 years ago after completing my drivers exam. It is a 1974 Standard Beetle that was my dad's for a quite sometime. It was a great learning experience of how to work on a car as I wasn't one for mechanic work.

[email protected] wrote: .... I think your generation suffers from lack of funds and lack of space, compounded by the fact you can have a beater with a/c that will do 130 for 2k. the cost of admission is high on these....


I do agree with Skills, it was incredibly difficult to come up with money to get the bigger parts repaired (ex. Floor pans etc) on a part time job and going to High School.


and to spice up the Thread I'll throw a photo of me next to my car from the other day going to work!


67ctbug Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:09 pm

Cut out that van and add some grain, that's an awesome picture!

Ceckert64 Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:55 am

Tram wrote: Eckert, sounds like you are doing it the right way. Good on ya.

We see these same nail- biting worries in the Mercedes and Porsche forums also- and in the antique talking machine/ phonograph/ gramophone world. All the old- timers claim that the market is collapsing because supposedly the median age for phono collectors is 60 something, yet on the Talking Machine Forum a lot of collectors put their DOB in their profiles, and their ages show up in the "Congratulations to..." section at the bottom. When I see people in their 20s- 40s- a few times below that, down to 11!- show up down there regularly I just have to shake my head at why the egg spurts claim that all of us "knowledgeable" collectors have one foot in the grave and nobody younger collects anything. Older folks fifty or sixty years ago didn't collect this stuff either- that's why us young punks used to get old 78 RPM jazz and blues records now worth hundreds to thousands a pop at the Goodwill for a nickle or a dime apiece, and we used to find phonographs at the landfill or out at the curb. :roll:

If you're worried about losing knowledge and history- then do everything you can to start preserving it. The key is not accepting common "knowledge" and following the crowd. Anybody can modify- not everyone can conserve. Learn, learn, learn. Become a geek like a sponge. Yes, you can! :D

A great source of knowledge for how these cars originally were are things like old enthusiast magazines where these cars were reviewed. These are usually cheap on eBay. Many times these publications swiftly reveal who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't at car enthusiast cocktail hours.
Thank you!

I do believe that the next generation will be interested in, but maybe not in as large of number. On the other hand, how many people are still interested in cars from the early 1900s and antique primitives? It could just be that no one wants an old slow car that break down easy, wait :lol: But seriously, now days you canít practically use a Ford Model T on the road or as a daily driver, but cars from the 50s, 60s, 70s can still be a lot of fun to drive and are somewhat practical to drive still, that may be able to keep more interest in them. I think it could go in cycles too. For example Porsche 356 are cool cars, but no one in my generation has one, why? Itís too expensive, maybe when prices go down, more younger people may get them, but for now, the price of entry is way too high. The price of entry for 70s VWs still isnít to horrible but in ten years, it could be lower, could be higher, time will tell.

Iím taking in a lot for knowledge, thatís why Iím here, or else, I would probably still have fuel filters in my engine compartment and have a non running Squareback :wink: people like you Tram have a lot of knowledge to give, the amount of help Iíve gotten on my Squareback fuel injection is amazing, I say a few things, and I get a helpful answer that usually is a solution. The manuals help but they have their limits. Trust me, Iím taking in a lot :D

Interesting, old magazines are cool, even the parts accessory catalogs are cool.

Ceckert64 Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:19 pm

Twin Peaks wrote: I got my First VW/first car about 5 years ago after completing my drivers exam. It is a 1974 Standard Beetle that was my dad's for a quite sometime. It was a great learning experience of how to work on a car as I wasn't one for mechanic work.

[email protected] wrote: .... I think your generation suffers from lack of funds and lack of space, compounded by the fact you can have a beater with a/c that will do 130 for 2k. the cost of admission is high on these....


I do agree with Skills, it was incredibly difficult to come up with money to get the bigger parts repaired (ex. Floor pans etc) on a part time job and going to High School.


and to spice up the Thread I'll throw a photo of me next to my car from the other day going to work!


Nice! I took my VW on my driver test exam, I hit a cone parallel parking :( The guy I had was super nice and calm, he said I was the third stick shift heíd had over the last 20 years of and 5,000 exams :shock: They are so much fun and such a learning experience for sure.

Nice bug! Maybe I will post a picture of me and my car up! My first day of work in my Squareback I left the lights on for the whole day, 7hrs ](*,) Every drive in these cars is an adventure

Chickensoup wrote: How be the rest of my 15yr old homies doin?!

But yeah. You know those times when your grandpa starts going on rants about something you never asked about, and he starts off talking about brake shoes, then raising cattle, then he recalls that time when he chopped up a super rare cord in the 50s and made a hot rod out of it? Even if it sounds boring, you'll regret it one day when the older generation simply isn't there to tell you these things. Those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it! Idk where that quote came from, but I've heard it before. It's hard to learn something If you dont take any interest, or dont apply will power. Hitler never became super powerful and almost took over all of Europe just by sitting on his ass. And Ferdinand porsche didn't create the vw by staring at his phone. Ok, that was a bad analogy but you get the point. Right?
I think your the only 15year old homie now :lol: I aged out a few months ago :wink:

Well, donít we all rant about things no one asked about. The analogy makes sense. Itís interesting to hear family stories, some VW ones. My one grandma told me how her dad bought a VW bus new in the mid to late 50s to deliver oil, and he would pull up to peoples bumpers to scare them since no one was used to cars with flat fronts and it looked like you crashed into them since you were so close. I wish that bus had stayed in the family :( My other grandma used to travel in a bus with her first husband, I think it was split window, and either her grandma or mom had a white beetle she always had wanted. She actually bought a new beetle a few years ago when I got into VWs and I think I partially inspired it :D. I could start a whole new threads of stories of things that people told me about VWs, some good, some making me wince.

Iím happy this thread it taking off!

Zundfolge1432 Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:20 pm

I was 15 once and I remember it well, I blinked and was 25 that was a different stage of life. By 35 I was slowing down some but putting in lots of hours at work trying to get ahead. At 45 I needed reading glasses and I gained some weight. By 55 Iíd had a few medical issues and was slowing down more. Now in my 60s Iím trying to my shit together so I can retire and Iím slowing down more plus the aches and pains have intensified.

Iíve been around car guys and mechanics all my life. One thing Iíve learned. Cast a wide net. VW people are nice, so are the Ford people, the Harley folks. Theyíve all got skills and perspectives you can learn from.

Car guys are same no matter what. There may be generational differences but people all want same things and we have more in common than that which is different. Venture outside little VW world, itís a much bigger place out there.

As for Model T not being a daily driver my father in law along with other guys caravanned about 400 miles driving their Ts to Highland park Michigan to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Ford Motor Company. He was in his mid 70s then and I should have paid more attention to what he was saying. The T is simply more primitive than a VW but there are people so spoiled and soft now they couldnít imagine driving an old bug. I daily drove VWs in the 70s and 80s but Iím a weekend warrior now. 😀. 15 is good, never trust anyone over 30.

Chickensoup Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:23 pm

Ceckert64 wrote:
I think your the only 15year old homie now :lol: I aged out a few months ago :wink:

hmmm, well now i suddenly feel alone lol. i'll feel like im part of the mob again in the near future anyways so we arent that far apart :wink: i wonder there are any other dudes under 18 restoring these cars on this site? i guess they must be the shy type or something.
Well, donít we all rant about things no one asked about. The analogy makes sense. Itís interesting to hear family stories, some VW ones. Im still on the hunt for my grandmothers old yellow ghia. i think it was a 68? it was her commuter for work and every day she would drive on top of the hill when she arrived, and when she left work, she would have help from a few co workers to push the car down hill and roll start it cuz her starter was brocken. this was all in CT so im sure its a heeping pile of rust if its still even alive somewhere on this earth. its more likely that it was scraped and turned into a dish washer lol. My one grandma told me how her dad bought a VW bus new in the mid to late 50s to deliver oil, and he would pull up to peoples bumpers to scare them since no one was used to cars with flat fronts and it looked like you crashed into them since you were so close. I wish that bus had stayed in the family :( My other grandma used to travel in a bus with her first husband, I think it was split window, and either her grandma or mom had a white beetle she always had wanted. She actually bought a new beetle a few years ago when I got into VWs and I think I partially inspired it :D. I could start a whole new threads of stories of things that people told me about VWs, some good, some making me wince.

cool stories! do you think/know your grandmas bus was a logo panel van? does she have pictures? its one of those things youve just got to ask about whenever you visit them. you never know, she may pull out a whole box of photos to share with you!
Iím happy this thread it taking off!

Chickensoup Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:32 pm

Zundfolge1432 wrote: I was 15 once and I remember it well, I blinked and was 25 that was a different stage of life. By 35 I was slowing down some but putting in lots of hours at work trying to get ahead. At 45 I needed reading glasses and I gained some weight. By 55 Iíd had a few medical issues and was slowing down more. Now in my 60s Iím trying to my shit together so I can retire and Iím slowing down more plus the aches and pains have intensified.

Iíve been around car guys and mechanics all my life. One thing Iíve learned. Cast a wide net. VW people are nice, so are the Ford people, the Harley folks. Theyíve all got skills and perspectives you can learn from.

Car guys are same no matter what. There may be generational differences but people all want same things and we have more in common than that which is different. Venture outside little VW world, itís a much bigger place out there.

words of wisdom from Zundfolge 8) after seeing so many mechanic eff up their bodies from working on this sort of stuff all day long, ive decided to go the engineering route and spare my back. luckily, my genetics are rock solid. for example, my grandma on my dads side is a a long time meth head, and at age 60 somethings shes still kicking even tho she looks like a damn Q tip w/ warts. my grandpa on my dads side, does more mild drugs but hes actually in good health. hes still stealing phones for a living lol. my mothers side is okish i guess. well see how that plays out. after growing up around so many screw ups in my life i find it easy to do the right thing. just do the opposite of them and youl be aok lol. yeah, theres a long short story of why im practing using CAD and not practicing rebuilding ball joints for a living :wink:

Ceckert64 Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:08 pm

Chickensoup wrote: Ceckert64 wrote:
I think your the only 15year old homie now :lol: I aged out a few months ago :wink:

hmmm, well now i suddenly feel alone lol. i'll feel like im part of the mob again in the near future anyways so we arent that far apart :wink: i wonder there are any other dudes under 18 restoring these cars on this site? i guess they must be the shy type or something. color time! Oh well, like 6 months to wait, then youíll be in the cool kids club :wink: For a moment I thought about making it under 18 but realized it would just be us talking :lol: There is two other kids, one a couple years younger that pulled a split window busses and parts from a family members woods, another is fixing up a Squareback, his dad started it and then gave it to his son which started posting only maybe 4 post lilegg something, maybe I could find it. Then I think there was one guy around 18 with a bug in Indiana, other than that, thatís all Iíve seen. Iím sure thereís others Well, donít we all rant about things no one asked about. The analogy makes sense. Itís interesting to hear family stories, some VW ones. Im still on the hunt for my grandmothers old yellow ghia. i think it was a 68? it was her commuter for work and every day she would drive on top of the hill when she arrived, and when she left work, she would have help from a few co workers to push the car down hill and roll start it cuz her starter was brocken. this was all in CT so im sure its a heeping pile of rust if its still even alive somewhere on this earth. its more likely that it was scraped and turned into a dish washer lol it would be cool if you could find it, yeah, thatís sad reality with most of them. . My one grandma told me how her dad bought a VW bus new in the mid to late 50s to deliver oil, and he would pull up to peoples bumpers to scare them since no one was used to cars with flat fronts and it looked like you crashed into them since you were so close. I wish that bus had stayed in the family :( My other grandma used to travel in a bus with her first husband, I think it was split window, and either her grandma or mom had a white beetle she always had wanted. She actually bought a new beetle a few years ago when I got into VWs and I think I partially inspired it :D. I could start a whole new threads of stories of things that people told me about VWs, some good, some making me wince. cool stories! do you think/know your grandmas bus was a logo panel van? does she have pictures? its one of those things youve just got to ask about whenever you visit them. you never know, she may pull out a whole box of photos to share with you! My grandmas dads bus (great grandpas) I have no clue my grandma isnít sure, Iím guessing panel. Our family went through hundreds of old of pictures about a year ago, but it was mostly looking for pictures of when my mom was growing up and it didnít surface so Iím placing my bet there is not a picture she has of it, any of her other 12 siblings may have it. My other grandma I doubt has a picture since her first husband was abusive so I doubt she kept any memories. I might ask, who know, if they had they would of also told me.
Iím happy this thread it taking off!

Chickensoup wrote: Zundfolge1432 wrote: I was 15 once and I remember it well, I blinked and was 25 that was a different stage of life. By 35 I was slowing down some but putting in lots of hours at work trying to get ahead. At 45 I needed reading glasses and I gained some weight. By 55 Iíd had a few medical issues and was slowing down more. Now in my 60s Iím trying to my shit together so I can retire and Iím slowing down more plus the aches and pains have intensified.

Iíve been around car guys and mechanics all my life. One thing Iíve learned. Cast a wide net. VW people are nice, so are the Ford people, the Harley folks. Theyíve all got skills and perspectives you can learn from.

Car guys are same no matter what. There may be generational differences but people all want same things and we have more in common than that which is different. Venture outside little VW world, itís a much bigger place out there.

words of wisdom from Zundfolge 8) after seeing so many mechanic eff up their bodies from working on this sort of stuff all day long, ive decided to go the engineering route and spare my back. luckily, my genetics are rock solid. for example, my grandma on my dads side is a a long time meth head, and at age 60 somethings shes still kicking even tho she looks like a damn Q tip w/ warts. my grandpa on my dads side, does more mild drugs but hes actually in good health. hes still stealing phones for a living lol. my mothers side is okish i guess. well see how that plays out. after growing up around so many screw ups in my life i find it easy to do the right thing. just do the opposite of them and youl be aok lol. yeah, theres a long short story of why im practing using CAD and not practicing rebuilding ball joints for a living :wink:
I need to talk to more groups, right now Iím more of a ACVW guy and not necessarily a car guy, I know quite a bit about them, not as much in cars in general. Iíve learned a lot from my dad he is a Corvette guy, I think he was thrilled I picked about the slowest car ever out of all the cars :lol:

Yeah, I need to explore the car world more, Iím in my VW world most of the time and can be ignorant to other cars and should learn more about them. You have very good points Zundfolge :wink:

Aiden, Iím thinking of going into engineering too, I enjoy making and designing things. My genetics are questionable, my one grandpa died in his mid 50s, the other in his 70s. From what youíve said, your family is pretty crazy sometimes.

67ctbug Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:47 pm

Ceckert, you got a vin on that ghia? I got a buddy with many....

Zundfolge1432 Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:10 pm

Reassignment of VIN numbers? Cops take a real dim view on that unless they are the ones doing it😀 who knows cops may be lurking around here.

Chickensoup Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:13 pm

67ctbug wrote: Ceckert, you got a vin on that ghia? I got a buddy with many....

That was me sir. If I can get a vin I will pm you it. Thank you very much.

Ceckert64 Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:18 pm

Zundfolge1432 wrote: Reassignment of VIN numbers? Cops take a real dim view on that unless they are the ones doing it😀 who knows cops may be lurking around here.

Wait, you donít take pieces of aluminum and make them into vin plates to have a more desirable car? Kidding :lol:

KTPhil Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:21 am

So, do y'all have to turn in your membership cards when you turn 22?

Ever watched "Soylent Green?" How about "Logan's Run?"

I think I'll go back to listening to Dylan's "Forever Young", or maybe a cover version or 50:
https://secondhandsongs.com/performance/16551



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group