TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Yellowing glue
kuecker2 Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:52 am

I think I have found an effective way to at least lighten the yellowing glue in our vans. tape off the area around it. It is peroxide and has a bleaching effect. Apply fairly liberally. I used a tooth brush to work it in a bit. Let it set for half an hour or so. Don't let it dry. Don;t put plastic over it. Wear gloves. Wipe off with soapy water. This stuff is cheap at sally beauty.

mikemtnbike Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:57 pm

Huh. That looks pretty good Iíll probably try it why not? Might work on the tobacco staining too. Thanks for posting.

IdahoDoug Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:56 pm

I had great luck using SEM vinyl dye spray on my headliner. 5 years ago I masked and sprayed the headliner and it looks brand new. I also picked a much lighter shade than the grey and made it offwhite for a serious increase in the roominess "feel". At night it also takes less lumens to brightly light the interior up.

Doug

Russpauly Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:50 am

IdahoDoug wrote: I had great luck using SEM vinyl dye spray on my headliner. 5 years ago I masked and sprayed the headliner and it looks brand new. I also picked a much lighter shade than the grey and made it offwhite for a serious increase in the roominess "feel". At night it also takes less lumens to brightly light the interior up.

Doug

Hey Doug, looking to do the SEM vinyl dye spray and trying to choose a color. What was the color you ended up using?

dabaron Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:08 pm

Russpauly wrote:

Hey Doug, looking to do the SEM vinyl dye spray and trying to choose a color. What was the color you ended up using?

i used SEM Super White 15103 - its a bit brighter then the OEM two color, but with all the curtains in place, it brightens it up inside.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PL24O4

Russpauly Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:15 pm

I really like the super white but my only fear is that it is too white with the grey interior or if we ended up going with an all black.

IdahoDoug Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:12 pm

I posted the color in my "how to" thread. If you can't find it in the next couple hours, I'll go out to the garage as I think there's a remnant there. And the color would be one I'd unhesitatingly use again. I put some time and thought and samples into my thinking and feel I nailed it.

Russpauly Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:29 pm

IdahoDoug wrote: I posted the color in my "how to" thread. If you can't find it in the next couple hours, I'll go out to the garage as I think there's a remnant there. And the color would be one I'd unhesitatingly use again. I put some time and thought and samples into my thinking and feel I nailed it.

I will look now and report back!

IdahoDoug Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:20 pm

15103 Super White. There were several "brighter" whites than this one.