TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: transmissions questions
Toaster_Radio Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:38 am

hello , i have couple questions about vw type1 transaxles. sorry in advance for posting in two subforums.

first let me tell you what is going on , i have a swingaxle that came with a baja that i knew going into this the trans leaked an reverse popped out somtimes. i had some past experiance an thought ill start off with new Shift Coupler, Rod Bushing an empi shifter then try adjusting an see what it does after. those helped but didnt fixit

seems to me that it will pop out an then i can put it back into reverse an if i hold onto the shifter it will stay in reverse. basically it works but pops out somtimes.

i havnt done anything to the trans other then drain it an refill so it still leaks around the nose cone an out one of the axle tubes near the brakes. id like to try an repair it but im not sure if i can adjust or check anything else . inside nose cone ?

recently i read a thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=739451 that sounds like i could replace the reverse gear after removing the side plates and diffrential , this is somthing id like to do if i can but not sure what other stuff id need such as tools ?

also i was given a irs transmission thats in unknown shape guy said it came from a working car but he didnt need it and im not sure allthough it looks clean an nice , are there any internal differences between irs an swing axle ? basically could i swap parts between the two ? like for instance swap side plates an diffrential ? convert it over basically ?

jsturtlebuggy Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:22 am

If your transaxle is popping out of reverse gear, it going to be inside of transmission part of the transaxle. Removing the side covers is not where you can fix any thing that causing your problem.
If you want to try and fix it yourself, you need to read the different threads on here and the factory manuals to see if your mechanical skills are there.
There are several people that post about transaxles that build them for a living here on the Samba. They have many years of experience on what different parts are interchangeable amount the different years transaxles.

Scott SD Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:28 pm

VW continually changed the design over the years. Late IRS has the best design. You can mix and match stock VW parts to make a strong trans. For what you want to do, it is best to take both transmissions to a trans shop. Just buying the tools for tear down and assembly is expensive.