TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: NJ no power canít find 5mm id fuel line for genny Page: 1, 2  Next
LAGrunthaner Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:47 am

My generator needs a gas fuel line Iím in NJ and have had no electricity since storm Iasis. My genny is a King Canada 5625w and their phone goes directly to voice. I have driven to 6 stores for 5mm id gas hose and half the traffic lights are out so longer driving and all I can find is 1/8Ē id. Iím trying to troubleshoot other options and you guys and gals are awesome troubleshooter, so tips please.

Btw, I bought the genny new for storm Sandy and used it for 30 min then power came on. I was running it once or twice a year then let that lapse for 2 years. I drained the gas added fresh and before the hose cracked I was unable to get her to run although ran with starting fluid so I suspect a block. I think once I replace all the hoses Iíll have a better chance.

Please send a reply with link for 5mm id gas hose I can buy. Unless other tips. Please no rude comments Iím stressed enough, my vacation to finish my bus without power is very disappointing. Iím not complaining others have it worse with medical needs. I just need that hose.
Thank you Linda

Only have phone internet.

LAGrunthaner Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:24 am

Update:

Found and ordered parts fuel lines filters and spark plug through:
Www.generatorguru.com

Iíll keep you posted as i need to investigate the blockage.

Cusser Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:50 am

Wow - 4635 posts from you yet you don't know a supplier for fuel line???

I'm sadly surprised.

Erik G Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:30 am

use whatever you can find right now and good hose clamps. use the right stuff later

EverettB Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:43 am

You can use 1/4" line for now if you want to get going, you just have to clamp it down a bit more.

I used some from the local car parts place for a while on my Bus until I ordered proper modern-fuel rated 5mm lines from BelMetric

zozo Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:13 am

Rated for ethanol, high pressure, and braided.

https://www.belmetric.com/multifuel-hoseethanol-ap...9t4fiv15r5

raygreenwood Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:03 pm

if its not fuel injected...meaning no high pressure fuel....you can simply go to a lawnmower shop and buy some of that clear reddish urethane based fuel line. It will work fine. Ray

[email protected] Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:46 pm

here's a tip for you...

I do a lot more small engine stuff than I care to admit. customer brought me a genset the would intermittently die.

of course, I couldn't get it to die. here's the kicker...it would die then immediately restart.

after shot-gunning a low oil switch (with customers permission) and showing him how to defeat it, it would still do it.

finally, I got it to act up. now that I could confirm I wasn't losing spark, I moved to the fuel system...which FWIW I had maintained yearly for about 6 years.

every 2-3 years he insisted on new fuel lines...no biggie. pulled carb...pretty mint, some super fine silt...but not enough for concern.

put it back together....same deal but seemed repeatable...every 20 mins it would die, then immediately restart.

long story longer, turns out there was a teeny tiny rubber crumb INSIDE the fuel inlet on the carb. how I missed it, I will never know, so make sure it isn't blocked by a tiny chunk on the inlet side. take the needle out and blow backwards.

ace hardware has (usually) a whole row of fuel line.

Manfred58sc Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:04 pm

I've chased the same madness, the damn line rots from the inside and sends tiny slivers around the needle and seat. Looks fine from the outside. the 1/4' line ( I like the gates barricade ) is good for a year with positive tightening clamps.

mukluk Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:34 pm

Surprised nobody mentioned it yet, but the stock fuel line on our carburetted VWs is 5mm. You could use a bit of spare VW fuel hose that most of us keep on hand or borrow a section from a car so you can troubleshoot.

mark tucker Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:34 am

1/4" OR 3/16 IT WONT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE. DONT FORGET FILTERS.

[email protected] Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:45 pm

Manfred58sc wrote: I've chased the same madness, the damn line rots from the inside and sends tiny slivers around the needle and seat. Looks fine from the outside. the 1/4' line ( I like the gates barricade ) is good for a year with positive tightening clamps.

i'll be honest...I was getting MAD :lol:

just glad I found it. from that point forward every carb gets a yearly bowl pull and blow back. what really had me was it was downstream of the filter, which was new.

cdennisg Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:57 pm

mukluk wrote: Surprised nobody mentioned it yet, but the stock fuel line on our carburetted VWs is 5mm. You could use a bit of spare VW fuel hose that most of us keep on hand or borrow a section from a car so you can troubleshoot.

This was my very first thought. Just steal it from your VW. If the need is great enough to run your generator, it is likely not the time to take the VW out for a pleasure cruise.

Unless your old VW is your daily. That changes things. But you should have spare fuel line anyway.

[email protected] Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:58 pm

If you can wait a few days go to, McMaster-Carr online, they will have it.

Abscate Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:10 am

Donít judge people from NJ, because they drive upstate and bury the bodies up here.

My worst fuel story is losing power on the Cape and having to sail into a Tidal bay with rocky lee shores , at the limit of my ability

My kicker was fuel starving and it turned out to be an undocumented factory filter under a plastic cover that was 10 years old and plugged.

Undocumented in both the user and factory service manual.

LAGrunthaner Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:17 am

Update, all good good, hoses received in the mail but the other problem was a clogged jet in the carburetor. I was concerned that I would break the carb dismantling it without a diagram until I found a replacement carb online so my fear disappeared knowing worst case is buy an new carb.

The retractable pin in the solenoid was gummed up as well as the hole in the bolt that holds the pin and the bowl. Also when I removed the float the pin and spring were gummed up as well. Cleaned up well and she starts on the first pull I am now ready for the next storm.

The reason why I was unable to use a larger hose and tighten down is because the nipples are very small and fragile and easily broken off with that much tightening.

Unfortunately during the cleaning I burned my eyes with the aerosol parts cleaner as the spray ricocheted and up under my safety glasses and the eye doctor is monitoring it while I use eyedrops. I had my splash proof chemical safety glasses on then swapped for the regular shop safety glasses for just a moment to see better, then it happened. I ran to the sink and flushed for 5 minutes but the MSDS sheet says 15 minutes of flushing, lesson learned. I'll either use the chemical glasses when using aerosols, or turn my head or never use aerosols.

Thanks for all the tips and encouragement you guys are the very best!

Cusser Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:12 am

LAGrunthaner wrote: I ran to the sink and flushed for 5 minutes but the MSDS sheet says 15 minutes of flushing, lesson learned.
As a chemist who worked over 4 decades in a laboratory, I'd say that flushing would be 99% effective at two minutes. MSDS sheets are typically overkill instructions, like 14 minutes or 16 minutes would be no different.

Hope you'll be OK.

LAGrunthaner wrote: I'll either use the chemical glasses when using aerosols, or turn my head or never use aerosols.
Get a pair of safety goggles, they have sides and fit tight.

LAGrunthaner Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:33 pm

Cusser, thanks and good to know. It sure was a learning experience either way and now if my fleet runs poorly I'll clean out the carbs with chem goggles on. One more Dr visit and I'll be good to go.

Cusser wrote: LAGrunthaner wrote: I ran to the sink and flushed for 5 minutes but the MSDS sheet says 15 minutes of flushing, lesson learned.
As a chemist who worked over 4 decades in a laboratory, I'd say that flushing would be 99% effective at two minutes. MSDS sheets are typically overkill instructions, like 14 minutes or 16 minutes would be no different.

Hope you'll be OK.

LAGrunthaner wrote: I'll either use the chemical glasses when using aerosols, or turn my head or never use aerosols.
Get a pair of safety goggles, they have sides and fit tight.

Abscate Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:45 am

Quote: The reason why I was unable to use a larger hose and tighten down is because the nipples are very small and fragile and easily broken off with that much tightening.

One of the reasons I like oetiker clamps so much is that, unlike jubilee Or hose clamps, there is zero net force on the fitting as you tighten. With as screw clamp You have to press to engage the screwdriver and counter force on the other side to achieve this.

Most of the snapped nipples on plastic radiator reservoirs are stressed this way.

johnnyvw164 Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:49 am

I ran into similar problems during Sandy. After that I bought an propane fired genny. A little more work to start in cold weather, but I don't have to worry about the gasoline headaches. I built a small enclosure in my garage to store it that I heat when a winter storm is predicted, which helps make starting easier