TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: CorvairÖ love or hate? Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Stockholm VW Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:56 pm

Years ago I had a mint 62 Corvair Monza. What a car!!!!
Aircooled boxer 6 in the rear. 4 on the floor. Buckets and an ultra light steering. You think the bugís handling is sketchy at the limit? Try a Monza. 😎
What are your thoughts? Should they be allowed in here?

oprn Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:41 pm

I had a '65 Corsa turbo. Two door hard top, buckets, 4 speed, telescopic steering wheel, all the gauges. Last year for the turbo engine, first year for the new body style and the 4 joint rear suspension. Beautiful car! Handled like a dream. Still kicking my asp for selling it but hard times tend to dictate... and it was a toy.

mukluk Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:21 pm

Neat cars but they aren't a VW, so they belong in the Off Topic section.

vwracerdave Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:50 pm

No, they don't belong here on a VW page. They have their own forum.

Zundfolge1432 Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:15 am

Stockholm VW wrote: Years ago I had a mint 62 Corvair Monza. What a car!!!!
Aircooled boxer 6 in the rear. 4 on the floor. Buckets and an ultra light steering. You think the bugís handling is sketchy at the limit? Try a Monza. 😎
What are your thoughts? Should they be allowed in here?

You arenít the first one to post Corvair and this is off topic. Do a search for Corvair. My dad had a 63 Monza 500, red with black interior bucket seats. That car ran great in stock form would burn rubber off the line and catch again going into 2nd. It was a 4 speed. Because of the unique design of cooling fan the belt would jump off if driver got rpm too high fast. I can still hear that flat 6 sound, itís beautiful.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=40

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=653110

oprn Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:43 am

My first reaction was "Heck Yes!" but then on second thought - us other air cooled guys (motorcycles and model airplanes) might want some space here too...

Zundfolge1432 Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:06 am

Define off topic then there will be no more grey area. Seems like it gets made up by those with power to delete or lock subjects they donít like. Hey itís your site you can do whatever. Several years ago One of the two political factions which are always at one anotherís ass just shut off the power and killed the microphones when something they didnít want to hear was being said. However itís a fine line between order and chaos. Recently a certain few came here just to troll and be assholes.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=276153

mukluk Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:29 am

mukluk wrote: Neat cars but they aren't a VW, so they belong in the Off Topic section.
For anybody scratching their head, this thread was originally posted in a VW section of the forum.

Zundfolge1432 Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:51 am

Now itís in the right place. There was another fellow here doing a Corvair. His user name was &Dan. And then he was gone I liked his posts, he built a big V8 in the kitchen. I like that kind of off topic thing😀 probably not many here even familiar with Corvairs but they ran great, I can just imagine how much fun a Corvair powered bus or bug would be. Odd trivia but the Corvair engine was based on a scaled down tank engine and it rotates counterclockwise running. :idea:

https://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9757

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=662062&highlight=dan

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8711832&highlight=#8711832

mark tucker Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:22 am

eye wuz looken at one and talking to the owner on saturday... is said it runs great, only takes about 30 seconds to get to 60mph, has a few oil leaking spots....yup it wuz somethen.

EverettB Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:39 am

mukluk wrote: mukluk wrote: Neat cars but they aren't a VW, so they belong in the Off Topic section.
For anybody scratching their head, this thread was originally posted in a VW section of the forum.
Yes, I moved it and should have posted something like "Moved"
I usually do that to prevent confusion so I take all the blame here. :)

Zundfolge1432 Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:42 am

mark tucker wrote: eye wuz looken at one and talking to the owner on saturday... is said it runs great, only takes about 30 seconds to get to 60mph, has a few oil leaking spots....yup it wuz somethen.

^^^^^ this is an example of eating paint chips as a kid^^^^^^^

KTPhil Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:47 am

I love the Corvair. Of course, it's design heavily borrowed from Porsche and VW, but then remember this was the conservative GM we are talking about. I applaud anyone who pushed GM to move outside their comfort zone. If only there were more that that in the terrible late '70s and early '80s... maybe they wouldn't have had their clocks cleaned in the marketplace.

Look at the few bright points, like the Corvair, the EV-1, and Saturn.

All were WAY out of the norm for GM. In fact, good for GM to wise up and break Saturn into its own division to keep it from being "GM-ized" and killed off. Of course, once it came back under GM it did just that.

All three started as unofficial projects and had someone behind them who knew how to nurture the projects far enough to stay under GM's conservative radar to keep them alive until even GM had to pursue them further.

Compare the Corvair to the other subcompacts of the day, and you see how far ahead it was, and how much farther the design platform could have been taken.

Damn Ralph Nader!

Volktales Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:37 pm

I have been actively looking for a Corvair for well over a year now. Very few in my area, and with what is going on in the world, cars outside my country are out of the question. I am sure something will come my way eventually...

Abscate Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:42 am

Zundfolge1432 wrote: mark tucker wrote: eye wuz looken at one and talking to the owner on saturday... is said it runs great, only takes about 30 seconds to get to 60mph, has a few oil leaking spots....yup it wuz somethen.

^^^^^ this is an example of eating paint chips as a kid^^^^^^^
Itís the EMP from passing electric cars.

mark tucker Tue Aug 11, 2020 2:45 pm

just trying to keep you guys sharp!!!

688GUY Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:29 am

My dad had a Corvair around '68, he traded a long haired daushound for it, but ended up pushing it off a cliff because the fan belts kept coming off, LOL!

andk5591 Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:49 am

Love 65 and up. I think the body is one of the most beautiful that GM did. And I have seriously pondered buying one, BUT with 5 VWs on the road and 2 projects, I know what would happen if I got one..or two...or three...LOL

Zundfolge1432 Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:20 am

688GUY wrote: My dad had a Corvair around '68, he traded a long haired daushound for it, but ended up pushing it off a cliff because the fan belts kept coming off, LOL!

https://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11865

Chickensoup Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:58 pm

mark tucker wrote: just trying to keep you guys sharp!!!

NEver have i ever thought the day would come when Mr. Tucker would type a germaticaliliy correct sentence :wink: im proud of you sir and commend you for it :D welcome to the normal people group. we wont judge you on your typing ability any more lol.