TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: winter warming
Mickey bitsko Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:36 am

getting ready for fall/winter duck hunting in my baja, so, engine completely exposed, generally in the 32*-45*+
in winter , coughs, sputters ,backfires for many minutes, i don't care for that.
99% of research is how to keep them cool..not my problem.
most input from samba for 32*+ is start engine make sure you have oil pressure and go.
not that i disagree with this method just wondering if other members
have a different method?

Axitech Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:52 pm

I’ve run 700+ mile weekend Philly to Pittsburgh and back in the SandRail when it cold, really cold. Like highs of 25f. I run 5w30 in winter. Start and go.
Running dual IDF 40’s . Never an issue.

Axitech Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:55 pm

I’ve run 700+ mile weekend Philly to Pittsburgh and back in the SandRail when it cold, really cold. Like highs of 25f. I run 5w30 in winter. Start and go.
Running dual IDF 40’s . Never an issue.

earthquake Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:27 pm

Any body ever try one of these?

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/heaters242500.php?clickkey=3062919

eQ

Busstom Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:07 am

Usually the first question is, do you have a functioning thermostat/flap arrangement on your engine? That speeds the warm-up process for the engine. If not, they're highly recommended.

earthquake wrote: Any body ever try one of these?

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/heaters242500.php?clickkey=3062919

Thanks for the link, I might be quite interested in using one of these in my Bus.

I'm not so sure the OP has an issue keeping the inside warm, though. :wink:

cbeck Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:00 am

The smallest heater in that link will draw 30 amps. make sure your electrical system is up to the task. Watts÷volts=amps.

Mickey bitsko Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:32 am

Busstop, That is a very good question. bug relatively new to me have not had the engine out or looked beyond heater boxes.
Engine rebuilt by po <5k on it but have no idea if it was put back together correctly.
iirc rebuilder was GEX? something like that .

thanks

Stauffenberg Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:58 pm

Well hopefully its not GEX :shock: they are known for being bad and cheaply thrown together. I ran a 1600 DP in my first super here in Colorado and I didn't have any of the sputtering problems you are referring to just slow starts. It even started when it got down to -15F back in 2011. Have you checked that the choke is working properly and all the thermostat pieces are in place? Also that your heat rise tubes aren't clogged?

Matt Wilson Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:44 pm

As a Colorado-native, I didn't know there were ducks in Colorado (or water for that matter :))

Sounds like you need to just get the good ol' electric choke working. A single pedal press, sets the choke and squirts a little fuel, and turn the key. It should fire right up, especially cold. People often forget the convenience of the stock setup.

Starting these engines cold (with stock setup) is the easy part, starting them when they are hot, can sometimes be a challenge.

You could throw on a stock style air cleaner with warm air pickup tube to help avoid icing too - even if it's just for winter use.

Busstom Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:33 pm

Mickey b,

Here's a good read, and there's a guy here who makes everything you need (he started this thread). There are many images and diagrams to aid you. Bottom line, there should be a small bellows under cylinders 1-2 and it links up to a sheetmetal flap system with linkage across the base of the fan shroud (the linkage is only visible on the farside of the shroud, which some people call the back, but it's really the front).

Get that and a choke sorted and you'll be dialed.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705328&highlight=thermostat

dustymojave Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:57 pm

Having had a lot of trouble with the metal bellows and linkage to the flaps in the bottom of the fan shroud, I long ago converted the control of the flaps to manual using the original choke cable for my '58 Bug. You can get a Dorman manual choke cable and knob. I mounted mine with a piece of 1/8" x 1" aluminum strap bent 90° screwed to the top of the tunnel behind the parking brake with self drilling/self tapping screws. I passed it through the back of the pan with the battery positive cable and put another bracket using the lift hole on the top of the case so it pulled laterally on the flat link strap of the shroud flaps. Since I have an oil temp gauge, I can use that to decide when the engine is warm enough to open those flaps. It's typically about as long as you would keep a manual choke on. I've started my Baja in temps as low as -6°F here in the Mojave desert. The engine ran fine. The trans had 85-140 oil in it which had the car held in a max of 3rd gear for over 3 miles before it warmed up enough to get it in 4th gear. Quickly changed that to straight 90 weight and had no more trouble in that regard.

Those factory bellows are mounted where they're subject to damage in an offroad car.

But I would suggest looking into carb troubles and possibly carb/manifold icing. Do you have manifold heating? Might need a heat wire wrap on the manifold. By searching, you will find lots of discussion of carb icing issues here in the offroad forum and elsewhere in Samba.

Remember that VW Bugs were from Germany, where frigid winters are normal.

Busstom Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:28 pm

Always solid advice ^^^

Mickey bitsko Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:47 pm

thanks guys , all real fine suggestions. i have much to research.

Mikedrevguy Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:07 pm

Mickey bitsko wrote: getting ready for fall/winter duck hunting in my baja, so, engine completely exposed, generally in the 32*-45*+
in winter , coughs, sputters ,backfires for many minutes, i don't care for that.
99% of research is how to keep them cool..not my problem.
most input from samba for 32*+ is start engine make sure you have oil pressure and go.
not that i disagree with this method just wondering if other members
have a different method?

What’s you engine configuration?
Dual carbs? Single?

Mickey bitsko Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:57 pm

stock dp 1600 single weber
nothing special

petrol punk Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:40 pm

Is your manifold pre-heat clogged? If you have a stock motor with working manifold heat and choke it should run normally fairly quickly