TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Barndoor torsion housing and beam dimensions!
sled Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:10 pm

a few questions for anyone who can help me..

I need to know the width of a Barndoor torsion housing, measurement taken from the mounting face of the torsion bar end-caps.

also, if the frame were perfectly level, what angle of inclination are the four end cap bolts? later buses they are leaned back quite a bit, but I think on a Barndoor they are nearly, if not, vertical?

for the beam, are the torsion tubes in the same physical location as on a later bus? I know the mounting method is vastly different, but I am wondering if the tubes exist in the same relative location.

thanks for any help!

Long-roofs Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:35 am

I believe the beam is in the same general area. When attaching shift rod and drag link, both are interchangeable with later Buses.

Not sure on the torsion housing angle, just about vertical sounds correct. I can measure side to side today....probably about 2 1/4" shorter than later Buses?

EmpiGT Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:46 pm

I would measure the length of the trailing arms on the front beams between the different styles to see if the beam tubes are close to same location. Looking at the frame rails I wouldn't think they are close at all, but there are those building barndoor beams using later parts. So they must be close. So the front floor of a barndoor must extend farther towards the rear and make it look closer to the beam making the location look like an optical illusion of the barndoor beam mounts farther forward. If that makes since.

Mr. OGPaint Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:35 pm

Barndoor beam tube spacing and width is identical, as is front trailing arm length. I'm not sure on beam inclination angle