TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Off topic, but I hate this damn virus
Multi69s Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:34 am

Some of you know this, but I have been teaching at a community college for 20 years. I teach Electronics, CAD (computer aided drafting), and CAM (computer aided manufacturing). Everything is online now, but all of my classes were half lab exercises. Plus right before the virus hit, we went to a 9 week schedule. That means I am teaching via Zoom for 3 to 4 hours at a time. I thought my back was bad from being on my feet all day, but siting is just as bad.

For those of you that have lost your jobs, I am truly sorry. I just need to let off some steam.

Mal evolent Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:54 am

I just found a web site that listed 98 persistent symptoms of corona virus. apparently I have had it since 1954. it isn't get it, get over it, move on. I am already in Life 2.0 with a heart condition ( no beef. no booze. no bacon. no ice cream. no potato chips. at a 4th of July picnic, I can eat the beans. just the beans ) Corona would degrade the rest of my life even more.

one local restaurant is surviving with takeout orders, but they only keep 2 cooks and 4 waitresses working. the reliable ones who can train new people. we need a new governor.

jspbtown Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:08 am

I agree...I sympathize with those who have lost jobs...and there are LOTS of you.

My son moved back in when they shut Boston down and has been working remotely in my office. I am set up in my dining room. I haven't had the time (or ambition) to buy a decent chair yet so my back is killing me sitting at a old dining room chair for 8+ hours a day.

I find a nice 1/2 hour walk outside around lunch on the rail trail helps a lot.

Q-Dog Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:48 am

The museum where I volunteer has shut down completely ... entire staff fired. Since I am sort of retired, it hasn't affected me much otherwise.

People around here are pretty much going about their normal business, except for the ones who are sick or dying from the virus. Local news had a story about a woman who spent over two weeks in a coma on a ventilator. $1.2 million bill from the hospital. Insurance paid $1200. :wink: But I think she still has a job, so she should be fine, right?

I was sick a week ago ... vomiting, diarrhea, fever ... fine now. No idea if I had it. Went t the grocery 2 days before that bit of fun started. Not sick enough for a hospital visit. No symptoms now. Who knows.

The uncertainty is the worst part.

Erik G Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:10 am

I'm sure this will get locked, but

Quote: I hate this damn virus

YES

Quote: I haven't had the time (or ambition) to buy a decent chair yet

see if you have a used office furniture store near you. at the start of this crap I went to mine and got a fantastic deal on a desk and a chair, probably $500 new I got them for $50 and they are qood quality not ikea type

Quote: nice 1/2 hour walk outside

makes all the difference... wish it wasn't so damn hot...

Quote: we need a new governor

yep!

Quote: The uncertainty is the worst part

yep!

I wish you all well and hope we get out of this soon and for the better

crukab Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:20 am

Here I sit on a Wednesday a.m. @ home, I should be up to my arm pits in Chickens, cutting them up for entrees @ the market I work/worked at.
15-18 hours average per week at this point, since we can't do the "Hot Case" foods that I do, as in we have a case of 8 kinds of hot foods that I make, people come up, look, ask for whatever, the deli people put in dishes, weigh & price it. Now we are not allowed to do that style of food, now we pre package cooked, cold meals, that get bought from "grab & go" coolers, so w/ out that eye appeal, food sales have dropped hard, our transfers from meat/ fish department keep coming, but people are not buying, so we throw out hundreds of $$ of product, this is not the way to run a bizzz......
I don't mind being home, but I'd rather be working.

I agree w/ Eric, this thread will get locked..... :(

typ914 Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:15 am

I feel everybodies pain. However being in construction and deemed "essential" I havn't stopped working yet. I could be working 7 days a week 12 to 18 hour days. Building boom here in hotlanta.

VWsArent4Hippies Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:29 am

Have you tried a standing desk set up? 3-4 hrs of that is nothing if you're already used to being on your feet all day. I work from home a lot and find myself standing more than sitting.

Q-Dog Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:02 pm

typ914 wrote: I feel everybodies pain. However being in construction and deemed "essential" I havn't stopped working yet. I could be working 7 days a week 12 to 18 hour days. Building boom here in hotlanta.

I guess that explains a lot. Been trying to get a slab poured under my outdoor shed/storage. would like to eventually put up walls and make enclosed storage.

Hard to get anyone to even look at it. Had someone come out to measure, and after a month, still no quote. Finally got a quote from a different person yesterday. Now I need to move 20 years of accumulated parts and projects.

Zundfolge1432 Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:32 pm

Q-Dog wrote:
I was sick a week ago ... vomiting, diarrhea, fever ... fine now. No idea if I had it. Went t the grocery 2 days before that bit of fun started. Not sick enough for a hospital visit. No symptoms now. Who knows.

The uncertainty is the worst part.

About a month ago I got tested for antibodies which would show I’d had it and didn’t know. Results in two days negative.

Monday I had a post op visit at hospital for upper and lower GI endoscopy
Which was done today at 730am. Nasal swab test done at hospital. Results same day. Negative COVID. Uncertainty doesn’t have to be a factor. What seems to be fucked up here is whether a person has insurance, it shouldn’t be like that. I started the first COVID thread here back around March and it went sideways fast with trolling and mostly political BS that kept Everett Busy. 170k dead people but I bet the real number in much higher. Some things are within my control like choosing not to attend super spreader events like car shows or what those knuckleheads (pun intended) did at Sturgis. Life goes on until it doesn’t, Proceed with caution :D

Zundfolge1432 Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:45 pm

Q-Dog wrote: typ914 wrote: I feel everybodies pain. However being in construction and deemed "essential" I havn't stopped working yet. I could be working 7 days a week 12 to 18 hour days. Building boom here in hotlanta.

I guess that explains a lot. Been trying to get a slab poured under my outdoor shed/storage. would like to eventually put up walls and make enclosed storage.

Hard to get anyone to even look at it. Had someone come out to measure, and after a month, still no quote. Finally got a quote from a different person yesterday. Now I need to move 20 years of accumulated parts and projects.

Things are odd now. Yesterday I went with a neighbor to salvage yard. We pull up and notice doors all locked and a number to call. They tell us that because of COVID we need to make an appointment and come back later. Fuck that we went on down to LKQ and got what we needed while doing the mask and distancing things. Some people have gone way overboard on staying safe.

Splitdog Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:46 pm

Covid is no hoax, but I'm sure we're being lied to. It's become sooo political. I'm sure the numbers are lower as well.