TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Xevin is buying a Van. Now road trip. Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Xevin Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:57 am

Oh boy, what have I just done? Like I need another VW :oops: Somethings gotta go :-k

I get a text from my neighbor. Her dad decided he’s to old to enjoy the Vanagon and was ready to sell. He’s the original owner of this 85 Wolfsburg edition Weekender. It’s been living in Eastern Washington. Never thought I’d own a Vanagon. But this one seemed right. Well taken care of, great family, and pretty nice looking. It’s got a dent in the corner he just put on it a few months ago when getting clutch replaced. My friend who restores split windows buses will sort that out. The price he was asking seemed more then fair and my Van buddys encouraged me to buy it NOW. So I took the plunge in to the “Water Cooled” pool. Picking up Labor Day weekend. I told owner he’s welcome to drive it when he visits his kids. See you on the road.

Ouch

MarkWard Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:11 am

Once you've driven cross country in a vanagon, you won't miss the Type 2 at all. Our 68 is a distant memory.

Slimvest Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:13 am

Very nice! Unadvertised buys are the best. Not often you see those "corduroy" seats in such good shape.

Abscate Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:42 am

It’s the biggest jump in quality in the entire VW Bus line from T1 to T7

Power, handling, climate, longevity

Everything went up substantially

Congrats and see you in the road

vino de vano Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:49 am

Prepare to be amazed. Congrats nice busses.

Yellow Rabbit Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:03 am

Sometimes I miss my Wolfsburg Edition. I swear it had more storage than my full Westy. Nice find! I’ve never seen those seat so nice. Love it!

I’d leave the dent. That way you won’t feel so bad when you add the next one.

Xevin Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:16 am

Yellow Rabbit wrote: Sometimes I miss my Wolfsburg Edition. I swear it had more storage than my full Westy. Nice find! I’ve never seen those seat so nice. Love it!

I’d leave the dent. That way you won’t feel so bad when you add the next one.

That thought has crossed my mind. Especially after I run it through “The Pit” at NW Mogfest :shock: :lol: Just kidding. Now I’ll just blend in 8)

Thanks for the warm welcome all. I’m very excited

Ahwahnee Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:22 am

Very nice indeed - even a fine looking 3 window tent.

kamzcab86 Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:00 pm

Xevin wrote: So I took the plunge in to the “Water Cooled” pool.

Welcome to the dark side. :twisted: :D

Xevin Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:17 pm

kamzcab86 wrote: Xevin wrote: So I took the plunge in to the “Water Cooled” pool.

Welcome to the dark side. :twisted: :D

I must add to this thread. My wife Xatie is the coolest. She never hesitates to make me happy and keeps me inline when I need it. 26 amazing years. I’m a lucky guy.

dobryan Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:19 pm

Kamz beat me too it.

Welcome to the dark side.

I daily drove a ‘71 for 22 years. Been 21 years in Vanagons. Love the bays but not going back.

borninabus Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:48 pm

i had been a passenger in and driver of buses for my entire life when i first drove a van about 10 years ago. it only took one lap around the block for me to realize that the van was EVERYTHING a bus could never be. literally in a matter of minutes, i was converted and have never looked back. congrats!

the 1.9 is pretty sluggish in westy trim but they are longer lived because they rev a little more freely than the 2.1, IMO. their downfalls being the archaic cooling system and T1 style thrust bearing. not a big fan of the DigiJet, either, but it's basically the same as LJet so you'll know your way around pretty quckly.

enjoy :)

16CVs Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:57 pm

Be sure to uncover your License plate before driving it on the street. That's the most complete Shredaroy interior I have seen for a while.

Stacy

kguarnotta Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:42 am

great looking van, and welcome to watercooled.

I just got here last year after almost 20+ years in the aircooled world. Is it better than aircooled? that may be up for debate. It is fun, I do miss my driving my air-cooleds, but I can only drive one at a time...

Wasted youth Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:45 pm

I think there are several things you will like right away; like two armrests. I feel like the layout is more comfortable than a Baywindow, but I’ve not spent any time in a late Baywindow Westfalia.

You will probably not like how fragile the foil circuit sheet is for the instrument cluster, so be careful with that.

I got a replacement window regulator for our 1981 model off RockAuto, and you might find a few pleasant surprises there when it comes to Vanagons. My clutch slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder for the 1981 also came from RA and they are good.

Pretty sure you will also enjoy the Hall effect pickup instead of points.

I replaced all of the front beam wear parts on the 1987 we have and a few on the 1981. All parts came from VanCafe/RMWest and every part was a good fit.

It will be interesting to see what your future preferences will be!

crukab Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:00 pm

We have had our '91 Van for 22 years. Nuff said.
Nice to see another 1 owner Vanagon surface, love the "less camper shit to haul around EVERY DAY" Weekender model !!

vwwestyman Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:45 am

Nice Van! And cool story.

I've always thought the Weekender setup was probably the best for overall usability of a Van-nothing (bulky cabinets, mostly) to really take up any of the day to day usability and space, along with the most important parts of the camping setup for most of the types of camping I do anyway (the pop top, folding seat).

I suppose one could argue that two yellow baywindow Westys is too many now, but I wouldn't listen to them.

jlrftype7 Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:31 am

vwwestyman wrote:

I suppose one could argue that two yellow baywindow Westys is too many now, but I wouldn't listen to them.
Nah, he’s far from hoarder status... :P :P :wink: :wink:

OB Bus Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:59 pm

We jumped from a 69 Westfaila to a Eurovan. Dark side? Now we are in the darkest.

While we stilll have both one will go soon. 4 cars and 2 drivers is just too much to take care of.

GoWesty has fixes for many of the sinfully bad engineering decisions that VW made on the Vanagon. Including the foil on the instrument panel.

Good luck.

markswagen Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:43 am

dobryan wrote: Kamz beat me too it.

Welcome to the dark side.

I daily drove a ‘71 for 22 years. Been 21 years in Vanagons. Love the bays but not going back.

I'd go back to aircooled in a heartbeat, specifically a split bus, I'll probably never be able to afford another :(
Or another Bay, and put another 911 motor in it, that one was a blast.