TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Not having these a problem??
oxsign Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:07 pm

I’ve noticed my Squareback running pretty hot. To the point the paint bubbles on the front fan housing. So I decided to tear in to it a little to check a few things (oil cooler, seals, “flaps” working, etc) and I noticed that the fan housing does not have the flaps or bar for them. So it’s open all the time. Wasn’t sure if this is normal on some?? I just remember having them on other motors. FYI, the motor is a 1776 that was built less than a year ago. I’ve gone through 2 sets of empi carbs (what a paint these are), timing set, valves, etc. I plan on changing out the oil sending sensor and seals. I’ll change out the plugs (haven’t pulled them yet) and just clean it up some. Last time I drove it, it was a 45min drive and it got hot to the point it would stall at a light, oil light on solid (oil level was/is fine) but would go off when I started moving again.

My concern right now is the flaps that aren’t there.

KTPhil Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:28 pm

I think the lack of flaps isn't causing your overheating. Check for other air leaks and timing.

oxsign Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:40 pm

KTPhil wrote: I think the lack of flaps isn't causing your overheating. Check for other air leaks and timing. ive got every cooling tin for it and I’m going through now tapping it all out so it all fits right/tight. Anything in particular you can recommend? I know this is a topic that’s been beat and I have gone back and read through several of the threads. That’s why I decided to tear it down and go through it.

Jason37 Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:22 pm

Early cars pre - 64 had no flaps in the fan housing.

I would check:

cooling bellows installed properly - you should be able to hear a slight sucking sound at the air intake vents

Timing - to far advanced

post up motor specs and pics of plugs.

KTPhil Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:59 pm

When did you first notice this problem? What did you change just before it started?

Bobnotch Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:38 am

I would make sure that the under cylinder cooling tin is in place, even if it's the square ones, versus the "super cool tins". Also double check your timing, as you don't want too much advance.

Erik G Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:57 am

in your area? no, not really a problem to run without the flaps.

Tram Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:58 am

Bobnotch wrote: I would make sure that the under cylinder cooling tin is in place, even if it's the square ones, versus the "super cool tins". Also double check your timing, as you don't want too much advance.

And- pull your plugs to be sure you are not running super lean! Also- keep in mind that if you have a 1776 with stock cam, you can run the FI with blue tipped (rather than yellow) injectors and it will run great. Consider this plus a 123 ignition for D-jet once you figure out your issue.

Tram Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:19 pm

Also- with the paint blistering on the fan housing- are you certain this isn't more of an exhaust issue? What exhaust are you running, and is the paint on the apron blistering as well?