TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Any good news out there? Let's start. Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
LAGrunthaner Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:20 am

Love this article of how a guy dealt with a kid repeatedly playing in his driveway:
https://www.motorious.com/articles/news/guy-catche...qgmofE7h1w

Raymond73 Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:55 am

I had this show up on my YouTube recommendations. It's good to see kids on their bikes again and neighbors being neighborly.

Zundfolge1432 Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:29 am

I liked that article, itís a positive when thereís so much negative all around us. Remembering back to when we had a similar thing happen. The house we bought came with a treehouse for kids. We looked out to see a small boy peeing from the treehouse. We said nothing but later I did remove the ladder going up thinking I might be held liable if he fell from up there. Kudos to you for posting a positive thing here where usually the cranky old farts turn everything to a rant😀

We got some new neighbors here recently. The kids came over and introduced themselves.

Marcdeb Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:33 am

Zundfolge1432 wrote: Kudos to you for posting a positive thing here where usually the cranky old farts turn everything to a rant😀

Wow, I thought this was started to post "Positive things" :-k

Zundfolge1432 Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:35 am

^^^^im sure youíve got something positive to add, try. Iím going to turn this off and go drive my VW bug, now thatís always a positive :D

typ914 Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:51 pm

This is a great story. I hope no one comes along and ruins it for everybody.
My first house came with a basketball goal in the driveway. I let the neihborhood kids use it. First few years were fine, friendly and respectable kids. Then other kids came along leaving their trash in my yard. Put out a trash can for them, apparently they didn't know what it was as trash was still left in the yard. Finally had to remove basket ball goal. I hated doing it.

nsracing Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:46 am

Yea, I saw that YT vid = so precious. I don't mind it at all when kids come up and ride the driveway. I used to feed the little kids in the neighborhood. Now they are all grown and majority moved out of the area.

I just got a new neighbor and they have little kids. Maybe military - have not had the chance to meet them.

We do need something positive this time of turmoil. If the rain will just let up this week I am golden. I have to catch up w/ yard work.

Zundfolge1432 Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:10 am

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/

Look here

orangebug60guy Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:28 am

Bad news: sold my bus

Great News: I bought my first house! The good out weighs the bad here folks.

I've been a member here for a long time. Since at least 2006. Back when the Rants were the RANTS. :lol: Had my bus for 15 years. I would read about people just washing their hands of projects and vehicles. It was a good 15 year hobby. I have met incredible people and made so many friends in the vw community. But you know what, it was time to liquidate and move on, for me it is for positive reasons. Making my life better. So that I can make choices for myself. I have no regrets and the bus + parts stash paid for it. Some people might not agree. VWs will always hold memories for me. I'm STILL friends with the people from the VW community. That's the good part, even if you don't have vws you're still friends with people. Just make the opportunity for yourself. I did, and it worked for me.

In the end my good news is that I was able to buy a house in a pandemic. I still read/lurk here on the samba. 8)

Thanks everyone!

finster Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:37 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54004695

tony stark...?

Zundfolge1432 Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:58 am

finster wrote: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54004695

tony stark...?

This is your idea of good news??????? Ok

Chickensoup Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:28 pm

Good News- talked to an old friend today. cheered him up because he sounded depressed af.

KTPhil Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:56 pm

finster wrote: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54004695

tony stark...?

Answers the old question...

Zundfolge1432 Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:41 pm

More good news

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/05...266563002/

obus Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:57 pm

orangebug60guy wrote: Bad news: sold my bus

I've been a member here for a long time. Since at least 2006. Back when the Rants were the RANTS. :lol: Had my bus for 15 years. I would read about people just washing their hands of projects and vehicles. It was a good 15 year hobby. I have met incredible people and made so many friends in the vw community. But you know what, it was time to liquidate and move on, for me it is for positive reasons. Making my life better. So that I can make choices for myself. I have no regrets and the bus + parts stash paid for it. Some people might not agree. VWs will always hold memories for me. I'm STILL friends with the people from the VW community. That's the good part, even if you don't have vws you're still friends with people. Just make the opportunity for yourself. I did, and it worked for me.

In the end my good news is that I was able to buy a house in a pandemic. I still read/lurk here on the samba. 8)

Thanks everyone!

You will be back on here i hope with another VW at some point, no? So its a "see you later" not a "good bye"

LAGrunthaner Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:32 am

Chickensoup, I love that you cheered up an old friend who needed it. You made my day 8)

Chickensoup wrote: Good News- talked to an old friend today. cheered him up because he sounded depressed af.

Yup great site Zundfolge1432.

Zundfolge1432 wrote: https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/

Look here

Congratulations orangebug60guy on your first home. BTW while looking for a pic of your bus I ended up reading your posts this morning and learned a bit from them for future work on my bus. You came a long way in your VW knowledge and you are not afraid of hard work, we teachers admire that :wink: Maybe in the future you will get back into the bus/bug hobby again so you don't put that experience to waste. Until then you'll enjoy tackling work on your new house. My in-laws children were in Sagamore Beach but now in RI, we are still in NJ/NYC area. Have a good school year!

orangebug60guy wrote: Bad news: sold my bus

Thanks everyone!

kingkarmann Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:27 am

I always liked listening to Walter Cronkite newscasts. His way of news delivery and cadence was oddly reassuring even when news what at it's worst.

There is much to be positive about. We just have to readjust our newsfeeds and social media inputs to see it.

Craig Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:52 am

The book of photography by 12 y.o. Anthony Schmidt, Small Cars, Big Inspiration was gifted to me anonymously.
You have seen his work before.
Thanks, Linda.

https://blog.fractureme.com/customer-inspiration/cars-inspiration-anthony-schmidt/

LAGrunthaner Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:55 pm

Craig wow what an amazing kid! Thanks for posting, I've got to invest in this kid he is awesome.

Craig wrote: The book of photography by 12 y.o. Anthony Schmidt, Small Cars, Big Inspiration was gifted to me anonymously.
You have seen his work before.
Thanks, Linda.

https://blog.fractureme.com/customer-inspiration/cars-inspiration-anthony-schmidt/

bigdog1962 Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:28 am

Bad news: my 7 pin connector wasn't charging my camper battery. I'm a weekend camper and usually don't go very far.

Good news: I found the blown fuse. Then decided to take a multimeter just for fun to check the trailer plug.

Bad news: still no power to the pin that's supposed to charge the camper battery.

Good news: Chevrolet never connected the wire - it was wrapped up in electrical tape and hidden within the engine compartment. I found it, connected it (2 mins max) and now have power to the charging pin.

Why wouldn't they connect it on an Avalanche with a tow package? I have since heard of other campers having the same problem. I understand the newer model vehicles come with it connected but for the life of me, I don't know why they wouldn't have connected it in the past.