TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: Any good news out there? Let's start. Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
calvinater Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:27 pm

Late summer in New England , Nice. :bug_blue: :vw: :ghia_green:

finster Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:33 pm

this is nice...a talented kid, a famous musician and a bit of to and 'fro :wink:
https://uk.yahoo.com/news/dave-grohl-writes-supergirl-theme-172334841.html

raygreenwood Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:10 pm

KTPhil wrote: finster wrote: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-54004695

tony stark...?

Answers the old question...




Yes!.....I see this as good news too! Why?

1. Finally....operating jetpacks! Yeah yeah....there have been MANY experiments.....over the decades......but those just jumped around and get like a minute of barely controlled flight.

This guy was at 3000 feet. Damn!

2. Its innovation. Thats always good....whether private individuals or companies.

3. It is someone spending money to build something NEW and having the large balls to test it.

All good news!

The only bad possible news........there is probably an air traffic control obstruction charge, or an unlicensed flight charge or some stupid charge when they catch him.

Ray

busdaddy Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:25 pm

raygreenwood wrote:
The only bad possible news........there is probably an air traffic control obstruction charge, or an unlicensed flight charge or some stupid charge when they catch him.

Ray
Why is that bad?, sounds good to me, the air is crowded enough already, add a few jackasses flying around in the way of others and it'll get crazy fast, just like those clowns flying consumer drones in amongst fire bombers. Stupid should hurt, or be expensive.
The tech is good, but figure out how to get everyone to follow the rules so we can all get along.

Abscate Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:55 pm

Flying unlicensed in LAX airspace?

Jail time.

Abscate Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:57 pm

Mark Tucker posted in the Samba and turned an absolute crappy day for everything into the best laughter of the week.

Zundfolge1432 Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:41 pm

busdaddy wrote: raygreenwood wrote:
The only bad possible news........there is probably an air traffic control obstruction charge, or an unlicensed flight charge or some stupid charge when they catch him.

Ray
Why is that bad?, sounds good to me, the air is crowded enough already, add a few jackasses flying around in the way of others and it'll get crazy fast, just like those clowns flying consumer drones in amongst fire bombers. Stupid should hurt, or be expensive.
The tech is good, but figure out how to get everyone to follow the rules so we can all get along.

If they operated using RVSM and TCAS it would be ok.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reduced_vertical_separation_minima

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_collision_avoidance_system

Pruneman99 Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:31 pm

Zundfolge1432 wrote: busdaddy wrote: raygreenwood wrote:
The only bad possible news........there is probably an air traffic control obstruction charge, or an unlicensed flight charge or some stupid charge when they catch him.

Ray
Why is that bad?, sounds good to me, the air is crowded enough already, add a few jackasses flying around in the way of others and it'll get crazy fast, just like those clowns flying consumer drones in amongst fire bombers. Stupid should hurt, or be expensive.
The tech is good, but figure out how to get everyone to follow the rules so we can all get along.

If they operated using RVSM and TCAS it would be ok.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reduced_vertical_separation_minima

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_collision_avoidance_system

Yeah I'm going to say no. I've been an air traffic controller for 10 years so I kinda have it figured out mostly lol

You can't be in class "B" airspace and not be talking to ATC without a working transponder.

TCAS is a tool for pilots and added safety. It does not reduce minimum standard IFR separation.

If it was actually a guy flying a jetpack at that altitude, that is one rich tinkerer. There is only a few organizations that are capable of building such a machine. And the only commercial outfit does not sell to the pubic. They have a few units that MIGHT be capable of such a flight, and they are all accounted for.

Now, I'll tell you what I think it was.. I can almost bet it was a drone with some sort of blow up doll attached. It would be light, capable of sustained flight, be VERY convincing to pilots traveling 200kts, and within the price range of a bunch of idiots.

I HATE drones. And laser pointers. It's a nightmare for us. And a felony when the authorities finally catch the geniuses that think it's funny messing with aircraft on final approach or climb out.

Zundfolge1432 Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:43 pm

10 whole years wow, we were installing tcas back in the early 90s. Yea we got it all figured out. 😀

Pruneman99 Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:50 pm

Zundfolge1432 wrote: 10 whole years wow, we were installing tcas back in the early 90s. Yea we got it all figured out. 😀

Lol I said MOSTLY.

IDK if TCAS would even pick up a guy in a jetpack. You think? Maybe. Probably not the one you installed in the 90's anyway :lol:

Zundfolge1432 Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:55 pm

What I’m thinking is the jet pack guy should have a transponder and full array of avionics including weather radar for his protection. :D

raygreenwood Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:02 pm

busdaddy wrote: raygreenwood wrote:
The only bad possible news........there is probably an air traffic control obstruction charge, or an unlicensed flight charge or some stupid charge when they catch him.

Ray
Why is that bad?, sounds good to me, the air is crowded enough already, add a few jackasses flying around in the way of others and it'll get crazy fast, just like those clowns flying consumer drones in amongst fire bombers. Stupid should hurt, or be expensive.
The tech is good, but figure out how to get everyone to follow the rules so we can all get along.

Yes....I actually agree.....

The problem is that really there is only one place....and one day per year allowed for this type of stuff. Thats one reason why so little is tested. Its the same place and day the high altitude amateur rockets are tested.

In fact...its the same place I saw the last jet pack tested in a video.

If you want innovation...you need infrastructure where people can work on it (more than just one day in one place a year).....that was my point. I love the tech...but hate that it may be stifled ....but we do have to follow the rules for safety.

Here is what I am talking about....a jetpack....and the rocket launch is killer too....set a record back in 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg0FfxHPGXs

Ray

Pruneman99 Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:04 pm

Zundfolge1432 wrote: What I’m thinking is the jet pack guy should have a transponder and full array of avionics including weather radar for his protection. :D

I can't even get the hot air balloons that insist launching just outside out class C and right next to our final approach fix to carry a transponder. At least they started using a radio.. I guess all the 767's blowing past them every morning scared them enough for that.

Good times.

Abscate Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:09 am

As a frequent flyer I thank you guys and gals for all you do. The pilots get all the “ hero accolades” but ATC keeps us safe.

Listening to ATC on Cactus 1549 was just amazing.

Pruneman99 Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:29 am

Abscate wrote: As a frequent flyer I thank you guys and gals for all you do. The pilots get all the “ hero accolades” but ATC keeps us safe.

Listening to ATC on Cactus 1549 was just amazing.

Thanks, appreciate that. Sometimes the frequencies get pretty chaotic. What's interesting is that most recordings ppl hear have been cleaned up by only playing on transmission at a time (one pilot, or ATC). IRL, many times multiple people key up at the same time and things get garbled. So keeping it all straight gets to be a challenge when multiple pilots need instructions at the same time. We just have to prioritize and clean up the most pressing conflicts first. Add one inexperienced pilot into the mix, or a missed transmission in there and things can get pretty ugly, fast.

I loved the transcripts of the jetpack encounters. The controller didn't even miss a beat. He just started calling out the "traffic" to the next aircraft in line.

KTPhil Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:57 am

Pruneman99 wrote: I HATE drones. And laser pointers. It's a nightmare for us. And a felony when the authorities finally catch the geniuses that think it's funny messing with aircraft on final approach or climb out.

Right on! Laser pointers may as well be SAMs to pilots who can lose control from the temporary blindness that results.

And drones... confiscate them all, mandatory buyback... if it isn't registered with a transponder and strobe then it is a felony. No strobe? Make it legal to shoot down.

Between privacy, snooping creeps, danger to pilots... no good reason for unlicensed drones. Sorry to spoil some fun for a few, but lives and privacy matter.

I had some teens flying one over my backyard with my kids swimming. I got my shotgun out, and also my camera, and with pics got clothing and license number information and called the sheriff.

Oops, sorry, this was supposed to be a "good news" thread! :oops:

Abscate Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:10 pm

Pruneman99 wrote: Abscate wrote: As a frequent flyer I thank you guys and gals for all you do. The pilots get all the “ hero accolades” but ATC keeps us safe.

Listening to ATC on Cactus 1549 was just amazing.

Thanks, appreciate that. Sometimes the frequencies get pretty chaotic. What's interesting is that most recordings ppl hear have been cleaned up by only playing on transmission at a time (one pilot, or ATC). IRL, many times multiple people key up at the same time and things get garbled. So keeping it all straight gets to be a challenge when multiple pilots need instructions at the same time. We just have to prioritize and clean up the most pressing conflicts first. Add one inexperienced pilot into the mix, or a missed transmission in there and things can get pretty ugly, fast.

I loved the transcripts of the jetpack encounters. The controller didn't even miss a beat. He just started calling out the "traffic" to the next aircraft in line.

Ive flown into BOS airspace and learned quickly you get one pass at ATC control, if you mess up you are quickly re-routed somewhere else like BED until you 'grow up'

Understandable.

When you realize that the real guys are sterile cockpit and meanwhile all the commercial aviation are chatting up while the wheels are down, it makes you wonder.

Pruneman99 Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:25 pm

Commercial aircraft are usually pretty easy. They expect certain instructions at different phases of flight. We can get them lined up pretty quick, and speed adjust them to follow the traffic. They just want to hit the approach, land, and get off the active. Most of the control is routine. The aircraft speeds are very consistent through the approach.

Never have I had a United pilot ask to beat up the patten. :lol:

Most pilots that fly their own airframe are very good. They take instructions quickly, and understand what they need to do.

Student pilots can be.... Interesting. But hey, everyone needs to start somewhere.

The WORST pilots fly for charter companies and can be divas. They think they should be first, and expect ATC do go out of their way to accommodate them. Many, many times I've had charter 560's or LJ pilots file an IFR flight plan that consisted of the departure airport, and the destination airport. No SID, no routing, nothing. They take off VFR and call us up and want IFR clearance. I'll ask what routing they want and they say whatever you give me.. So Im supposed to create a flight plan over the line on the fly, but you didn't bother to file anything on the ground?? Yeah right. I'll fix plans that won't work if they tried to file something, anything. But if I see something pop out of the machine with a departure airport and a destination airport at FL320, I'm not fixing a thing. Good luck!

iowegian Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:49 pm

Pruneman99 wrote:

Now, I'll tell you what I think it was.. I can almost bet it was a drone with some sort of blow up doll attached. It would be light, capable of sustained flight, be VERY convincing to pilots
Perhaps it was Otto?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMhYl74vw2c

Pruneman99 Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:29 am

iowegian wrote: Pruneman99 wrote:

Now, I'll tell you what I think it was.. I can almost bet it was a drone with some sort of blow up doll attached. It would be light, capable of sustained flight, be VERY convincing to pilots
Perhaps it was Otto?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMhYl74vw2c

LOL. That's it for sure!



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group