TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: What r best method bring back, oxidized original paint? 70 BUS
tristanblue Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:45 am

Just picked up this 70 dlx pass bus came from Cali-New Orleans so has seen a lot of hot, dry sun. Mostly all original paint has been sun baked, has that real chalky, dry look and feel but you can see pretty nice patina paint is still there.

What you guys suggest to bring this back and maybe remove some of the rust staining. I have seen some REAL amazing work out there.

Thanks




Mike Fisher Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:52 pm

They get good results sanding Type 3's with 2000 grit & then buffing them to a nice shine!
Get some custom mixed VW paint in spray cans for the bad paint.

tristanblue Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:22 pm

I don't think it need wet sanding nor would i want to take any more paint off it.

I will try over at the Split Forums...they seem to be more into this kinda thing

Zundfolge1432 Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:40 pm

Iíd use this with a good polisher like Rupes


Zundfolge1432 Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:10 pm

tristanblue wrote: I don't think it need wet sanding nor would i want to take any more paint off it.

I will try over at the Split Forums...they seem to be more into this kinda thing

How do you think clear coat gets polished? Yes itís wet sanded using a leveling compound. You have to know what you are doing and when to stop. Iíve even seen this used on black cars to bring back a high gloss and remove scratches in clear.

For more serious scratches you can fill bad area with a paint then polish to level for almost invisible repair.

Correct product like Barneyís, quality buffer like rupes, and technique. If you have that youíd be amazed with results. A proper paint correction as described followed by ceramic coating would yield a high gloss nearly maintenance free shine for years. I enjoyed this so much wife and I went to school for professional detail training. Knowledge is power. Itís not difficult or mysterious. There are some proprietary techniques though. 😀

66fasty Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:23 pm

Check out the Mike Phillips Meguiars #7 method for reviving old single stage paint.

LAGrunthaner Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:35 am

I looked for this and can't find it. Can you post the front of the container Zundfolge1432?

Zundfolge1432 wrote: Iíd use this with a good polisher like Rupes



Zundfolge1432, that is so cool that you and your wife went to detailing school. Love it and if I ever get some time I'll try that too. Which school did you take your classes at?

Zundfolge1432 wrote: tristanblue wrote: I don't think it need wet sanding nor would i want to take any more paint off it.

I will try over at the Split Forums...they seem to be more into this kinda thing

How do you think clear coat gets polished? Yes itís wet sanded using a leveling compound. You have to know what you are doing and when to stop. Iíve even seen this used on black cars to bring back a high gloss and remove scratches in clear.

For more serious scratches you can fill bad area with a paint then polish to level for almost invisible repair.

Correct product like Barneyís, quality buffer like rupes, and technique. If you have that youíd be amazed with results. A proper paint correction as described followed by ceramic coating would yield a high gloss nearly maintenance free shine for years. I enjoyed this so much wife and I went to school for professional detail training. Knowledge is power. Itís not difficult or mysterious. There are some proprietary techniques though. 😀

Erik G Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:43 pm

TR3


Zundfolge1432 Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:29 pm

LAGrunthaner wrote: I looked for this and can't find it. Can you post the front of the container Zundfolge1432?

Zundfolge1432 wrote: Iíd use this with a good polisher like Rupes



Zundfolge1432, that is so cool that you and your wife went to detailing school. Love it and if I ever get some time I'll try that too. Which school did you take your classes at?

Zundfolge1432 wrote: tristanblue wrote: I don't think it need wet sanding nor would i want to take any more paint off it.

I will try over at the Split Forums...they seem to be more into this kinda thing

How do you think clear coat gets polished? Yes itís wet sanded using a leveling compound. You have to know what you are doing and when to stop. Iíve even seen this used on black cars to bring back a high gloss and remove scratches in clear.

For more serious scratches you can fill bad area with a paint then polish to level for almost invisible repair.

Correct product like Barneyís, quality buffer like rupes, and technique. If you have that youíd be amazed with results. A proper paint correction as described followed by ceramic coating would yield a high gloss nearly maintenance free shine for years. I enjoyed this so much wife and I went to school for professional detail training. Knowledge is power. Itís not difficult or mysterious. There are some proprietary techniques though. 😀

We are lucky to live in a place with one of the best vocational technical colleges in the US. Itís hidden in flyover country and others come here to benchmark and see how we do this. The instructors all have decades of experience in the trades and itís funded by the taxpayers to help young people get trained to enter the workforce.

It is however available to people like me that want to keep abreast of the latest technologies within a trade.

www.tulsatech.edu



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group