TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Vanagons in the smoke Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
vino de vano Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:02 pm

Crazy day in the gorge. Way smoky.

Take care all.

Xevin Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:31 pm

Same Gorge different day.

Wildthings Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:58 pm

Going a bit bonkers from hanging out inside, not even willing to go down stairs as the air upstairs is better than the air downstairs.

11BC2 Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:32 pm

Whereabouts in The Gorge?
My old Army buddy lives in White Salmon.

vino de vano Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:00 pm

Smoke is just passing through. I did hear of a fire somewhere around Carson Washington. Scary days these days.

Zeitgeist 13 Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:27 pm

We're getting double barrels of Oregon's smoky conflagration up here. I'm sure glad my A/C works, so I don't need to drive around with my windows open. Even so, I've been hacking like I was a two pack a day trucker.

Wildthings Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:43 pm

11BC2 wrote: Whereabouts in The Gorge?
My old Army buddy lives in White Salmon.

If you are talking to me, outside of Hood River, up the valley a bit.

shadetreemech Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:46 am

I'm in between the El Dorado (started by a gender reveal firework) and the Bobcat wildfires. Both are far enough away not to pose an immediate threat to the house. The smoke has been brutal. Ash piles up on the Vans. 2020 has turned into an actual dumpster fire.

Dan

Xevin Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:24 am

Portland has had the worst air quality in the world the other day.

My commute on a normal summer day (In my bug)

And now

AZ Landshaper Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:30 am

Supposedly this nice cloudy weather we are having in southern Arizona is due to the fires. Incredible effects all up and down the western USA. 2020 is the year of the N-95 mask.

jimf909 Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:37 am

Seattle made it mostly smoke-free through August for the second year in a row. Today is a mess though. 2018 and 2017 below...

Washington Pass, Hwy 20 in WA, 8/2018 at 8:30 am. The sun is the orange dot in the sky at about 2:00...

Olympic Peninsula, August, 2017...

dougnlina Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:42 am

Along Trinity River, sept 10.

erste Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:53 pm

This is from last Sunday on some BLM land near Mammoth. The wind stopped blowing during the night and we woke up smothered in smoke. Air quality was 490. We packed up and drove North, more fires past Mono Lake and for the majority of the drive. It finally cleared up enough near Tahoe where we spent the next night.

That drive made me want tencent’s air recirc kit bad. Made more sense than it ever has before.

stay safe out there!

spillane Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:07 pm

Berkeley 09/08/20

ALIKA T3 Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:44 pm

dougnlina wrote:

Along Trinity River, sept 10.

Wow, out of Mad Max scene :shock: :shock:

IdahoDoug Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:03 pm

Wow those are amazing shots of the air out West. For those of you that are suffering, see my comments on Wildthing's thread about HVAC on Vanagons. A powerful filter will get the job done and you can carry it into the house after your clean commute to keep your living/sleeping clean. If I were not sitting here in a smoke free house looking at the smoke outside, I would not have believed this possible to achieve. My only house modfication was to put a plastic film over the house's air return to prevent most of the air exchange. Then plugged in the room filters. We don't have A/C - only a furnace. So we have no need for the house system to be on at this time of the year. If you live where you need a/c on, perhaps there's a recirc air return door on your system you can activate after getting one of these filters? Dunno.

jimf909 Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:59 pm

375 miles and 7 hours driving across WA state today.

erste wrote:

That drive made me want tencent’s air recirc kit bad. Made more sense than it ever has before.
[

tencent's air control did a remarkable job. Granted, I would've used duct tape on the intake as I have for a few years, but just being able to close the incoming air was quite nice.

rmcd Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:02 am

Rural Clackamas county. On Tuesday we had two minor fires within two miles, one within six miles and then the big ass fire near Estacada about eight miles away. We started our evacuation on Tuesday night and went level three forced evacuation on Thursday.

Tuesday at noon.

Tuesday at 5pm

Wednesday at 430pm

Thursday at 11am.

Outlaw70 Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:53 pm

I live in Medford Oregon and the smoke is awful! quite a bit higher than Portland. These fires have totally destroyed two near by towns Talent and Phoenix.

Wildthings Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:22 pm

We had fires burning nearby for a month, the closest having started 2 1/2 miles from the house and never got more than a whiff of smoke. Now the closest fire is probably 60 miles away and the air burns my skin if I go out of the house for more than a few minutes. A guy on a local blog made a post that his CO alarm was going off last night, it is supposed to alert at something like 25ppm, so people might want to be wary of their basements where the CO would tend to settle and concentrate. IIRC, a thousand PPM for an hour is deadly, but its been decades since I needed to know that so may well be way off.