TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: BPH treatment Page: 1, 2  Next
HMVWNAB Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:45 am

Has anyone had a BPH procedure using the Greenlight laser or the Rezum steam procedure that could share their experience?

If you donít know what BPH is, you probably will eventually. :wink:

olspeed Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:14 pm

Yeah I know what BPH is, they still give me pills for it right now although I do question how well they work. A older fellow I know had a laser treatment(I don't know if it was "the greenlight laser" or not as he just said it was laser treatment.
Anyway what he had done seemed to work for him quite well for about six years and he was starting to have to go back in for to see what they could do to help him again but he passed before he got any more treatments for this problem.

HMVWNAB Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:58 am

olspeed wrote: Yeah I know what BPH is, they still give me pills for it right now although I do question how well they work. A older fellow I know had a laser treatment(I don't know if it was "the greenlight laser" or not as he just said it was laser treatment.
Anyway what he had done seemed to work for him quite well for about six years and he was starting to have to go back in for to see what they could do to help him again but he passed before he got any more treatments for this problem.

Appreciate your response, I guess you older guys have had good luck with your prostate so far. =D>

finster Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:07 am

not gone down this road (yet) but are those your only options? I've noticed there's another method where they use plastic particles to restrict the blood flow to the prostate...

nsracing Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:44 am

Well at least the doc does not stick a finger up your ass anymore.

It is all nature what she got for us men. Just deal w/it best you can. No way around that.

HOw about a colonoscopy? ED? Hypertension? Diabetes? Obesity? the list goes on.

Glenn Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:50 am

Wait till you get a biopsy... they treat it like a pin cushion. And you know where they stick it.

The joys of getting older.

But it beats the alternative.

bigdog1962 Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:51 am

nsracing wrote: Well at least the doc does not stick a finger up your ass anymore.

When did that change?

HMVWNAB Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:56 pm

The digit exam is still being utilized. The doctor has to check the firmness and the PSA blood test is not conclusive by itself.

BPH treatment is for a poor urine stream. The treatments I mentioned are used to shrink the gland to remove the restriction of your flow, by removing tissue.

First they try medication, which makes it tolerable but isnít a cure.

bigdog1962 Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:46 pm

HMVWNAB wrote: The digit exam is still being utilized. The doctor has to check the firmness and the PSA blood test is not conclusive by itself.

That's what I thought.

OB Bus Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:31 pm

I tried all the non medical ideas...no fluids after dinner, cut down caffeine, I rarely drink alcohol anyway. No change....I still get up to pee 3-4 times a night.
Next they tried Flomax. It has a wicked side effect of dizziness when you get up. I did *not* have the dizzy issue but it did not change the number of times I got up to pee. The MD raised the dosage level, still no change. So at this point (I am 67) I quit the Flomax and just put up with it.
Good thing is my PSA numbers have been low and my Doc says it is highly unlikely that I will ever have prostate cancer. My colonoscopies have been clear also.
What a drag it is getting old. (But we will be at the beach Friday to ride Boogie Boards.)

nsracing Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:40 am

When I had mine done, my doc only used one finger. And she is a she. :lol:

Imagine a big burly dude checking you... a funny walk you will have.

chrisflstf Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:05 pm

Ive had the finger exam and i honestly dont know how they can tell anything as its only about 2 seconds and done. I cant imagine everyones asshole feels the same, maybe they do

olspeed Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:55 pm

nsracing wrote: When I had mine done, my doc only used one finger. And she is a she. :lol:

Imagine a big burly dude checking you... a funny walk you will have.

Well I have had that test done now every three years now for the past 20 years because I use to work at a Nuclear test site. It's been done by both men and women Doctors not much difference between the two except it was a little embarrassing the first time the gal did it... now not so much, no different that the one where they have you turn your head and cough.

mark tucker Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:14 pm

we had a comical dr hear for a while... for his buddies he had a fake arm&hand that he used to put on your shoulder as he was doing the test..then put the his real hand the other shoulder :shock: a buddy of mine told me that, as told my dr and he said yup I knew him he was a real prankster.....

Zundfolge1432 Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:16 pm

mark tucker wrote: we had a comical dr hear for a while... for his buddies he had a fake arm&hand that he used to put on your shoulder as he was doing the test..then put the his real hand the other shoulder :shock: a buddy of mine told me that, as told my dr and he said yup I knew him he was a real prankster.....

Yes but did you enjoy it?

Glenn Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:18 pm

Zundfolge1432 wrote: mark tucker wrote: we had a comical dr hear for a while... for his buddies he had a fake arm&hand that he used to put on your shoulder as he was doing the test..then put the his real hand the other shoulder :shock: a buddy of mine told me that, as told my dr and he said yup I knew him he was a real prankster.....

I bet he wanted a cigarette.

Zundfolge1432 Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:20 pm

Glenn wrote: Zundfolge1432 wrote: mark tucker wrote: we had a comical dr hear for a while... for his buddies he had a fake arm&hand that he used to put on your shoulder as he was doing the test..then put the his real hand the other shoulder :shock: a buddy of mine told me that, as told my dr and he said yup I knew him he was a real prankster.....

I bet he wanted a cigarette.

Mark have you ever been to a Turkish Bath?

Glenn Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:35 pm

BTW... my dad was dead at 53 from prostate cancer. At 52 he had symptoms and was diagnosed with Stage 4. This was 1979 and what he went through I wouldn't wish on TomŠs de Torquemada... it was medieval. So i've been going for a "digital" exam, and there is no numeric readout since i was 50. With early detection you have many options.

Zundfolge1432 Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:44 pm

The same could be said for colonoscopy and calcium score for arteries, also the big one that runs up your chest. My friend bled to death from a ruptured artery. Sorry Iím off topic.

Glenn Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:55 pm

Zundfolge1432 wrote: The same could be said for colonoscopy and calcium score for arteries, also the big one that runs up your chest. My friend bled to death from a ruptured artery. Sorry Iím off topic.
They found a per-cancerous polyp in me 10 years ago. Just had a calcium scan... i'm very low.

The joys of betting old.

BTW.. i tip my hat to the ladies that have their own battles.