TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Wire connector for the coil
malcolm2 Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:35 am

I have a new Distributor with the flame thrower 3 in it. I now have the recommended coil. But it did not come with the blade connectors.

I have searched and searched, but can't find this 3 blade style. Any ideas where I could find a couple? Does this type connector have a particular name?

Glenn Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:40 am

Ace Hardware has them in the in those small trays in the hardware asle.

malcolm2 Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:05 am

Glenn wrote: Ace Hardware has them in the in those small trays in the hardware asle.

I will be by there later today.... But I sure can't find them on their site. 744 things but not that.

just like other bus parts, the 1st thing that pops up is some damn UK site. They show a 2 blade version, but it is not the right size and it is out of stock.

This is what an old boss used to call a "dime holding up a dollar." in this case 50 cents holding up $10,000. :roll:

https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/7/category/2

Glenn Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:10 am

I have singles, you can stack them to make 3.

If you want I can mail you 3, just PM me your address.

I have to flatten them so they fit in a letter envelop, but you can easily bend them back.

Something like this might help.

malcolm2 Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:16 am

Glenn wrote: I have singles, you can stack them to make 3.

If you want I can mail you 3, just PM me your address.

I have to flatten them so they fit in a letter envelop, but you can easily bend them back.

Something like this might help.

I did find those. Gonna keep that option in my back pocket.

Thanks tho.

SGKent Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:05 am

take them off the old coil

malcolm2 Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:40 am

SGKent wrote: take them off the old coil

Sometimes you are a big help.... sometimes not. Do you really think I would not do that? How 'bout you send me an old coil with them on it.

This bus has not been registered since the early 90's. It has been in a field being picked over... then it was a forced purchase when a PO bought another bus. Then he picked over it and sold it to a bunch of 15 YO kids that could not get the wheels off, so after they stripped everything but the wheels, they sold it to me.

Wildthings Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:08 am

Use two different kinds of terminals on your electronic module so you cant hook them up backwards on the coil. A spade on the #15 side of the coil and a eye on the other side or at least tape the wires with the colors that VW uses.

malcolm2 Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:56 am

Wildthings wrote: Use two different kinds of terminals on your electronic module so you cant hook them up backwards on the coil. A space on the #15 side of the coil and a eye on the other side or at least tape the wires with the colors that VW uses.

Good one. Thanks

SGKent Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:37 am

malcolm2 wrote: SGKent wrote: take them off the old coil

Sometimes you are a big help.... sometimes not. Do you really think I would not do that? How 'bout you send me an old coil with them on it.

This bus has not been registered since the early 90's. It has been in a field being picked over... then it was a forced purchase when a PO bought another bus. Then he picked over it and sold it to a bunch of 15 YO kids that could not get the wheels off, so after they stripped everything but the wheels, they sold it to me.
I'd get a hold of Ken Madsen at TheBusco to see if he has an old coil that is no good he can take them off. Otherwise you may have to use a double and a single, put ring terminals on each wire and stack them, use Glenn's singles, or buy a used coil with one on it. You could also contact the OP on this thread and see if he wants to sell just the connectors - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=742857&highlight=used+coils

SK