TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Fuel Pump Swap Qs
lowslowauto Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:46 pm

Actually had a couple hours to do some work this weekend!
I picked up my airtex last week and itís time to install it. I pulled/drained the tank, pulled all of the front fuel lines (this far). Removed the pump and the damper (going to replace it, looked like it had been leaking for a while).

The pump bracket itself had a torn rubber boot (antivibrating) and itís becoming near impossible to get the remaining bolt and rubber off. I know typically Iíd want to use that same bracket but what options do I have if that stubborn SOB wonít budge?

Couple qs:
Iíve been told to replace the blue brake lines while in there. What size are they offhand?

Has anyone put a shut off valve before the pump in line ... for future fuel line changes? Would that be a benefit?

Anything else youíd recommend getting to while the tank is out?

Any help would be appreciated!

raygreenwood Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:38 am

If someone like ISP west does not have the rubber mounts.....search in Mcmaster Carr for "general purpose vibration damping sandwich mounts". They have hundreds of configurations and sizes.

This should get you close
https://www.mcmaster.com/vibration-control-mounts

Ray

ataraxia Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:49 pm

raygreenwood wrote: If someone like ISP west does not have the rubber mounts.....search in Mcmaster Carr for "general purpose vibration damping sandwich mounts". They have hundreds of configurations and sizes.

Ray

This is what I used when I ran an electric fuel pump - worked great!

lowslowauto Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:54 pm

raygreenwood wrote: If someone like ISP west does not have the rubber mounts.....search in Mcmaster Carr for "general purpose vibration damping sandwich mounts". They have hundreds of configurations and sizes.

Ray

Thanks Ray! I tried them but no luck...they cancelled my order because of the intricacies of shipping to Canada .

W1K1 Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:14 pm

Quote: they cancelled my order because of the intricacies of shipping to Canada .

strange, I got overnight shipping from them a couple weeks ago to Alberta

theres always amazon

lowslowauto Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:16 pm

I thought it was odd too! Iíll see what I can come up with

Bobnotch Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:37 pm

Have you tried Canadian Tire online? :wink:

lowslowauto Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:52 am

Bobnotch wrote: Have you tried Canadian Tire online? :wink:

Yeah, theyíre terrible for small parts like this. :(

lowslowauto Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:02 am

Iím even having a hard time w Amazon! Has anyone ever fashioned something else to use instead of the sandwich mounts or og bracket?

Thorkhild Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:46 am

I made my own "sandwich bracket" when I swapped to low pressure pump. you could do something similar for yours.

lowslowauto Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:08 pm

I ended up ordering some new sandwich mounts (unfortunately they were BIG). But I did manage to open up all of the holes and get it to work. Going to be pretty sturdy...lol.

I kept the old plugs as recommended and have put them in the posts (shrink rapped as well). Iím using RED is + and Brown is ground?

Iíll be plumbing it tonight...Is the right side of Rays pic here (blue circle) the long, large spigot?