TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Metal repair panels
white74westy Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:25 pm

Just wondering if anyone has a recommendation(s) for where to get sheet metal for an '95 EVC? Specifically, I'm looking for A-pillars, and the windshield lip. I'm not positive that I have to replace them, just prepping for the possibility that the rust showing around the seal is probably just the beginning of where the rot appears. Having dealt with these things on my T2, it has been my experience that there is probably a lot more rust below the rubber seal.

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

ocelotpotpie Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:33 pm

I've never seen reproduction sheet metal for those parts. I'd look for a junkyard van and cut or have someone cut them for you.

The A pillars bubbling is a common T4/Eurovan issue and I haven't seen it require replacement of those areas. Just stripping, inhibiting, prepping, and repainting.

But if you decide to replace them find a junkyard van and get them to chop off the OEM steel.

white74westy Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:37 pm

ocelotpotpie wrote: I've never seen reproduction sheet metal for those parts. I'd look for a junkyard van and cut or have someone cut them for you.

The A pillars bubbling is a common T4/Eurovan issue and I haven't seen it require replacement of those areas. Just stripping, inhibiting, prepping, and repainting.

But if you decide to replace them find a junkyard van and get them to chop off the OEM steel.

There's obviously been some work done prior to me owning her. The passenger's side has body filler that is peeling away from the pillar. There's rust under the filler. It is on a long list of things to do. I have traded some parts for a T2 with a buddy of mine that welds. Eventually, I'll remove the glass and see what lurks beneath. Consequently, I did find a website that had pillars for one side but not the other. As you said, I may have to find a donor, should the need arise.

Alan Brase Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:28 pm

In this same forum, someone just mentioned finding a yard in the Midwest that had 24 Eurovans being parted. Local yard here (Kings Auto Parts, Cedar Falls, IA) has 2 late ones. Very nice people to deal with.
I'd be surprised if your damage is so great that you need to replace large area.
but I guess, you just have to open it up and remove the bondo. Heat gun and puttty knife works good for that.

white74westy Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:56 pm

Alan Brase wrote: In this same forum, someone just mentioned finding a yard in the Midwest that had 24 Eurovans being parted. Local yard here (Kings Auto Parts, Cedar Falls, IA) has 2 late ones. Very nice people to deal with.
I'd be surprised if your damage is so great that you need to replace large area.
but I guess, you just have to open it up and remove the bondo. Heat gun and puttty knife works good for that.

Hi Alan!

Yes, I saw the post yesterday. Pretty cool to see that there are people still catering to our crowd. You'd be hard pressed to find anything like that down in this neck of the woods. T4 parts are more rare than hen's teeth.

Fortunately, I was able to locate both A-pillars. I actually went to my local dealership and asked if they had access to them. I deal with the same person nearly every time I go. He's extremely patient with me and takes the time to look things up for me. Anyhow, he found one, no problem. The other showed only one available, anywhere in VW's inventory. He called the shop the next day, and they confirmed they had it. Whether that is true or not, I couldn't say, but I will say that I was turned away everywhere I attempted to source them, so I'm inclined to believe him. I'm just glad to have them.

It is going to be a while before I dive into the project, but I will be sure to post results.

studioh Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:31 pm

I ordered an "A PILLAR" VW part # 701 809 206 through ECS tuning. It is the passenger A pillar but the INNER- not the outer skin that I needed. I went to 43 Auto Parts (the place with 24 vans) and the cut me the entire pillar, from the top to bottom for $150. Saves my body man hours of time and me money. Let me know what pillars you get because i would love to have the factory panel from the upper seam to down under the fender.

white74westy Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:41 am

studioh wrote: I ordered an "A PILLAR" VW part # 701 809 206 through ECS tuning. It is the passenger A pillar but the INNER- not the outer skin that I needed. I went to 43 Auto Parts (the place with 24 vans) and the cut me the entire pillar, from the top to bottom for $150. Saves my body man hours of time and me money. Let me know what pillars you get because i would love to have the factory panel from the upper seam to down under the fender.

I'm glad you wrote! I've been trying to figure out the hell, what I received was going to replace what is already there. Obviously it is very close in appearance, but not exactly the same. It now becomes abundantly clear that it is just the inner. Trouble is (I think) that is of less concern to me than the outer skin. That's where all the really nasty bubbling and rot are. I may have to call them up and see if there's a good donor with a couple of pillars yet to be cut out. I'm probably a good way away from doing that...some time down the road.