TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Front and rear bumper slot measurements needed please
veedweeb Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:14 am

My Squareback has had the bumpers removed by a previous owner and the slots filled in. The front fenders and rear valance are actually fibreglass so I'm not sure if they were ever cut out in the first place.

Anyway, I'm going to fit bumpers and I don't know exactly where to cut the slots for the irons to pass through.

Can anyone help with measurements please?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Qldelsie Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:51 pm

Surely you would be better off to measure forwards from the existing bolt holes for the bumpers, and mark it out on the back of your valence, then drill / cut ?
If someone gives you "outside" measurements, (ir from the indicator or edge of the valence, or some similar reference point) they may be incorrect for your particular car.
If the car was bog standard, you might be OK, but since it has obviously been amended (like with fibreglass valences), I would think you are better off measuring from the inside of your car.
Just my 2c.
G

Bobnotch Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:04 pm

Qldelsie wrote: Surely you would be better off to measure forwards from the existing bolt holes for the bumpers, and mark it out on the back of your valence, then drill / cut ?
If someone gives you "outside" measurements, (ir from the indicator or edge of the valence, or some similar reference point) they may be incorrect for your particular car.
If the car was bog standard, you might be OK, but since it has obviously been amended (like with fibreglass valences), I would think you are better off measuring from the inside of your car.
Just my 2c.
G
Agreed. More than likely your car was probably hit in those areas, which is why the PO replaced them with glassfiber.
A straight edge from the mounts outwards, would give you an inside like of where to cut.

veedweeb Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:17 am

Bobnotch wrote: Qldelsie wrote: Surely you would be better off to measure forwards from the existing bolt holes for the bumpers, and mark it out on the back of your valence, then drill / cut ?
Just my 2c.
G
Agreed. More than likely your car was probably hit in those areas, which is why the PO replaced them with glassfiber.
A straight edge from the mounts outwards, would give you an inside like of where to cut.

You're both right, of course - but I can't do that with my car!

The rear bumper mounts are still intact and so measuring from them will work at the back, but the front ones are missing.

The car has had rust repairs carried out at the front and the mounts have been removed so there is just a flat section of steel there. I do have some new mounts to weld on so that in itself isn't a big problem but I don't know their exact location. If I can cut out the slots and position the bumper so it looks right from the outside, then I can weld the mounts on wherever they need to be.

Mike Fisher Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:27 am

It is your engineering project & only your measurements will be correct for your car/bumpers.
Measure/mark & cut them out with a Dremel type tool.

Bobnotch Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:11 pm

Mike Fisher wrote: It is your engineering project & only your measurements will be correct for your car/bumpers.
Measure/mark & cut them out with a Dremel type tool.

Yup, make up a wooden spacer block the same thickness as the the mounts, then use it to figure out where to cut your inner edge for the bumper brackets.
Look at the mounts, and decide where they should go, depending on the type of mount you have (3 bolt, or 2 bolt) as that'll determine where you'll put them. I only say that, as we don't know which type of bumpers you plan on using (stock or early).

Qldelsie Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:57 pm

For the front I would weld on the new mounts, and then proceed as suggested. Having to weld in new mounts makes any subsequent measurements even more unique to you alone. Once the mounts are welded in, measure forwards from there.........
What you need first are the measurements for locating the new mount in roughly the right position, right ? But even with these, you may need to still adjust them to suit your car, especially if there has been previous damage in that area.

veedweeb Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:19 am

Thanks for the replies everyone, but the request still stands...

Can anyone tell me how far from the edge of the front wing/fender the slot is, and also how far below the body line it is, and also the dimensions of the slot itself.

Thanks very much :)

Pic below is not my car - I found it online.

andybla Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:16 am

Have measured the front fender with a tape measure
75x25mm, 8mm from the side

From the center, laying your tape measure on the fender with equal spacing from the side, 16,5cm to bottom edge

Mike Fisher Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:37 am

Weld your bumper mounts in some to bring your bumpers closer to the body like the hot rodders do!
vwfye mounted the bumpers closer on his 412.

Bobnotch Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:23 pm

andybla wrote: Have measured the front fender with a tape measure

From the center, laying your tape measure on the fender with equal spacing from the side, 16,5cm to bottom edge

That sounds about right. You could also use the body line and measure downward to get the top of the slot measurement.

veedweeb Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:50 am

andybla wrote: Have measured the front fender with a tape measure

Thank you, I can work with that :)

Mike Fisher wrote: Weld your bumper mounts in some to bring your bumpers closer to the body like the hot rodders do!
vwfye mounted the bumpers closer on his 412.

Yeah, that's the plan I think. The car is a '72 but with early lights and (soon) bumper so a few other little tweaks like that won't hurt it!