TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: flip-up rear view mirror shade or modern day/night mirror
scottyrocks Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:03 am

Does anyone remember seeing a tutorial about a flip-up inside rear view mirror shade? I thought I saw it on the samba, but cannot find it searching here or on google.

I get blinded at night by just about any car behind me. I was able to get some window tint remnant to use as a proof-of-concept test. I have a piece attached to my inner rvm, and a circle of it attached to the vent window between me and the outside rvm. If it works as intended, I will apply the tint properly to the vent window, but I would prefer the tint to flip up and out of the way inside.

My other alternative is to find a more modern day/night inner mirror from another vehicle that fits my '63.

EverettB Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:33 am

I can't remember seeing a tutorial for making one but I know Koch's sells reproduction ones for the rear view mirror.

Quick edit: I found this thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693855
No pattern or anything, just more discussion

oprn Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:25 pm

I used to just give mine a swat and re-adjust it in the morning. Takes 3 seconds to re-set it.

scottyrocks Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:49 pm

EverettB wrote: I can't remember seeing a tutorial for making one but I know Koch's sells reproduction ones for the rear view mirror.

Quick edit: I found this thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693855
No pattern or anything, just more discussion

Thanks, Glenn. That looks like what I remember, and I'd rather buy than make one, anyway. :)

scottyrocks Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:50 pm

oprn wrote: I used to just give mine a swat and re-adjust it in the morning. Takes 3 seconds to re-set it.

That's what I've been doing, but I'd much rather see what's behind me.

oprn Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:36 am

If you are using the loud peddle correctly there shouldn't be anything of concern back there!

Just kidding!! :D