TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Blueprint -70 Fastback
digg75 Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:57 am

Hi guys,

Is there anywere that I can find blueprints for a -70 fastback?

I need to find measurements between the left and right sill. Both in the front and back of the door opening.

Looks like something is "off" either the sill or the fenders. There is a gap between the sill trim when the trim meets the rear fender.

Any ideas?

Mike Fisher Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:35 am

Original dimensions don't matter on your car.
We had a posting recently about 2 squares dimensions between heater channels being 1/4" different!
Cut your heater channels loose and make them match up to the doors/fenders.

Bobnotch Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:47 am

digg75 wrote: Hi guys,

Is there anywere that I can find blueprints for a -70 fastback?

I need to find measurements between the left and right sill. Both in the front and back of the door opening.

Looks like something is "off" either the sill or the fenders. There is a gap between the sill trim when the trim meets the rear fender.

Any ideas?

From the looks of it, the rear end of the rocker skin is pushed too far in. It should be more flush with the door and fender.

Jason37 Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:58 pm

Do you have pics with the doors open? I am wondering if the wrong rocker skin was used, if it was narrower than stock it would account for the poor fitment. Do you have the stock door sill plates? this would probably be the easiest way to determine.

digg75 Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:46 am

Don`t think it`s been replaced in the past.
But, the fenders has been repaired at the bottom part of it. Could that have resulted in it getting "bigger", making it fit poorly?

Dlglobal1 Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:06 pm

Look underneath the fender lip near the area where it meets up with the rocker. There should be a screw/bolt that holds the lower front edge of the fender to the body. If itís missing the fender will not sit correctly flush with the body or rocker. I had my lower fender areas repaired and the hole for the screw/bolt was missing causing this same issue. I can see yours is pulled away from the body nearly identical to how mine was before I fixed it.

digg75 Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:01 pm

@DLglobal1, youíre spot on.
The front bolt/skrew hole underneath is missing. Both on the fender and body.

Dlglobal1 Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:18 pm

Hope that solves it. Should be an M6x18 bolt and two washers, but if the nut on the body is also missing maybe a self tapping screw will work. What puzzles me is the alignment of your rocker to the door...that looks way off. Did you replace the rocker skins and heater channels at some point?

digg75 Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:27 pm

Yes, one of the holes is missing. I`ll use a self tapping screw.

I`ve never done any repairs to it at all exept some repairs underneath. Perhaps it`s been done in the past. If it has been replaced, they`ve done it on both sides. They are identical reg the looks and both beeing equally off.

Mike Fisher Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:49 am

Looks like the Wrong rocker skin sloping away short & a big hole in it?
Your stainless rocker trim is clipped into position in this pic?
Weld a new flush w/door & fenders 'Hot Rod Shop' custom made skin onto what you have now.
You have to repair the fenders too?

digg75 Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:20 pm

@mike, I`ll take a better pic of this after adjusting the fender and poerly bolted in place again.
The fender has been repaired in the past, from the small "notch in the fold (showing in the gap) and down to bottom of the fender.
The fender from the trim and down does`nt have the proper "curve/shape" as originally.

ibldrc Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:36 am

Dlglobal1 wrote: What puzzles me is the alignment of your rocker to the door...that looks way off. Did you replace the rocker skins and heater channels at some point?

This was puzzling me too until I went back and looked at the pics again.
The door latch is not set yet, so I'm assuming he's just holding the door to the fender.

Digg:
Align the door to the rocker, then the fender to the door/rocker....
You may need to go to the hinges to do this. Then you may need to adjust the front fender too!