TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Luggage Tray Carpet Question
67ctbug Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:21 pm

Alright guys so I'm at the point of interior work on the '67. I'm having a tough time with the carpet in the rear. It's not that it's going to be hard to install, rather how it should be installed. Does the piece that goes in the luggage tray tuck in to the upper firewall or stay exposed? I've seen it both ways and my Wolfsburg West kit has binding all the way around. I suppose it doesn't really matter, but I'd like to know what was factory.

finster Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:19 am

I'd say tuck it in as far as you can. here's an article that covers installation in a 67
http://1967beetle.com/parcel-tray-install/

67conv Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:47 am

If it helps, here are a couple pictures from the Gallery of a FACTORY original 1967 rear luggage compartment installation. Bear in mind that for 1967, carpet was not used back there. Instead it was a rubberized square weave "look alike" matting material with cloth binding, extending all the way up the rear seat backrest.

67_Deluxe Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:48 am

67conv wrote:
Bear in mind that for 1967, carpet was not used back there. Instead it was a rubberized square weave "look alike" matting material with cloth binding, extending all the way up the rear seat backrest.

Correct - VW called it "PVC Backed Lining" or something like that. Most, if not all, of what's remaining has been destroyed by time and weather. It was painfully difficult to find when I did my restoration, but by some miracle - I did.

On a '67 it does not get tucked in. Take a look at any survivor vehicles or the pictures posted by 67Conv and you'll see that year the factory liked to roll it over the gap and glue it to the area just under the rear window.

Here's one survivor vehicle as an example:

67ctbug Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:14 pm

Well look at that! Glad I didn’t put that piece in last night, thanks guys!