TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Fiberglass kit question - Mexi-beetle to Baja
aquavette Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:21 am

Numerous site and internet searches have turned up limited photos and information. More of an opinion or insight question now.

I am pretty sure I will be going with the Mark V kit, but I am curious about the visual differences/shapes between the heavy duty kit and the deluxe heavy duty kit. Not many good photos can be found to compare. Spoke with Mark V, and the deluxe kit is described as not really wider than the standard kit, but maintains a wider width width as it goes down toward the pan, versus a taper on the standard kit?

Just curious about the difference in "Look".

FYI - This is not a hardcore baja build, but more of a street car with the proper baja look. I also realize that this is not the ideal setup for a baja, but car is a perfect candidate. Has a ball joint front and a swing rear. I believe it to be a '94 model, with fuel injection removed and replaced with a carb.

Thx.

AZ-BUG Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:29 pm

Have you checked this thread?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=674860

I'd guess the red bug has the deluxe kit

Below seems to be the standard kit, with fenders that taper off towards the bottom.

hope this helps

aquavette Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:01 pm

AZ-BUG wrote: Have you checked this thread?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=674860

I'd guess the red bug has the deluxe kit

Below seems to be the standard kit, with fenders that taper off towards the bottom.

hope this helps

Thanks!
I did see the red bug, and it was very helpful.
(Definitely the deluxe kit.)

Now if I could just find a similar photo of a kit that is confirmed to be the standard heavy duty kit I would be all set!

I am probably overthinking this, and will likely order the standard kit, as I do not think the wider fender will work for my less aggressive build.

aquavette Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:09 pm

Just ordered the standard heavy duty kit...

aquavette Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:25 am

Just a follow-up.
Slowly making progress.