TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: flywheel groove
zopapp Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:03 am

Hi Everyone,

My 2.1 WBX is leaking oil between the tranny and engine. Allways been since I owned it, probably before that too. I had all the seals changed but 500 miles later the leak was back. I now took it apart and found nothing obvious (since the engine rear end and bell housing are equally covered with curd) but this little groove on the flywheel sealing surface that hardly catches my fingernail. Could this cause the leak in your opinion, if, so, how could i fix it? many thanks, Zoltan

Wildthings Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:11 am

You may be able to change the depth you install the seal a bit to get the lip to run in a new position, a Speedy Sleeve is another option. A Sabo brand seal is the way to go. I don't know a good way to check the galley plugs for leaking, but would be tempted to replace the factory press in plugs with tapered steel pipe plugs while I was in there. Having one of the pressed in plugs blow out tends to be the end of the game.

ALIKA T3 Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:05 pm

I second that, Speedi sleeve is the only good way. You cannot change the depth of the seal, and use the Sabo brand anyway. ( with a new o`ring).
Inspect the new o`ring, I`ve had 2 from GoWesty lately that were half split :shock:

Wildthings Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:34 pm

ALIKA T3 wrote: You cannot change the depth of the seal, and use the Sabo brand anyway. ( with a new o`ring).

I have almost always been able to find a way.

ALIKA T3 Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:09 pm

Wildthings wrote: ALIKA T3 wrote: You cannot change the depth of the seal, and use the Sabo brand anyway. ( with a new o`ring).

I have almost always been able to find a way.

Sure you can also split the case to modify it :lol: or add a shim to bottom the seal a little more out, but in this location, a speedi sleeve is the smart choice IMO. I wouldn`t want to chance it with all the red lines my engine is seeing :lol:

DanHoug Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:53 pm

that depth of a groove caused a leak in my 2.1. Speedi Sleeve fixed after the first attempt with only a new seal.

zopapp Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:03 am

Thanks Everyone,

I'll give the speedy sleeve a shot if I can find a supplier and a machine shop for it (although it was not exactly a success in this post https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525757 ). FI this is the SKF sleeve part number I found 99294.

A bit off topic, I realized there is also a groove on the tranny input shaft, looks much like a retainer clip holder. Am I missing a retainer here?

Thanks

Vanagon Nut Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:40 am

Image of my air cooled transaxle.

Groove is for circlip that keeps sleeve in place?

Neil.

dhaavers Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:40 pm

Re: Flywheel groove...you could always do the 10 method. It worked for me!
I now have 50k+ miles on this repair, no leaks & no lathe required... 8)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=528852

- Dave

Wildthings Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:31 pm

Different make/design seals will often contact the flywheel in different locations.

DanHoug Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:45 pm

i know psych-illogical had a bad experience with a Speedi-Sleeve (tho he DID remove and reinstall it, a no-no) but when i rebuilt my 2.1 i pulled my FW that had a sleeve installed many miles ago and it was intact and in very nice shape on the sealing surface. i've had multiple successes with them on flywheel, trans output shafts, and others. i'm a satisfied customer.

zopapp Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:25 am

hi everyone,

Update on the project. SKF speedy sleeve part number I purchased is 99289. Cost around 13 USD in the local bearing shop. Got the new seal (Corteco) from the same shop too. Note that the sleeve still sticks out after installation so the excess needs cutting / filing down. This is how it looked at the end. It's a good idea to tape around the surface while you are cutting / fileing. Haven't tested the solution yet, waiting for a mate to put back the transmission.