TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Mansi High Performance AMC Heads w/Stainless Steel Valves Page: 1, 2  Next
Syncronoid Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:09 pm

Any thoughts good or bad? There's a post and comments on the "vw t3 vanagon wbx waterboxer wasserboxer engines" FB page, was hoping to discuss here. Claimed 25-30HP increase. I have a GW2.5 I'm thinking of installing them on. I've spoken to Marco about them, just want some opinions from the forum. TIA
-------------------------------------
First set of production High-Performance Waterboxer heads
New AMC castings,
Hardened valve seats,
Stainless steel 44 x 38 valves,
Pocket ported,
Stainless steel exhaust studs, 
Flows [email protected] more than stock heads,
Still maintains high port velocity,
Direct bolt-on HP
If you’re interested in a set please contact me at
[email protected]
$2395 a set of 2 heads plus Shipping
HAPPY WATERBOXING❤️

Zeitgeist 13 Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:29 pm

Wow, they seem like they would really wake up a 2.5L WBX. That price though, whoa...

Sheesh, I just looked, and that thing could make a theoretical HP output similar to the offbrand 2.5L engines, but with an actual usable torque range appropriate for these vans. How cool is that.

livethevanlife Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:09 pm

Following, im definitely interested in these if the performance adds up. I'd really like to see some before and after Dynos. I have his injectors already and they are great.

4Gears4Tires Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:18 pm

I always doubt any bolt on mod that claims a big horsepower increase without needing to retune the motor. Flow more air? Sure, but you're going to need to add more gas too, unless you like to run super lean all the time.

However, if these worked that would be awesome. A bolt on 30% increase in horsepower? Sign me up. But unless I see a 3rd party dyno, I'll stay a skeptic.

Wildthings Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:30 pm

Most people want torque in the 2000-4000 rpm range, if you have to rev the engine to 7000 rpm to see the 25-30% HP increase then most people would not get full use out of them. $2400 for two heads would be a lot to pay for an increase in HP that mostly showed itself above 5000 rpms.

Syncronoid Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:56 pm

Marco claims the increase is across the entire rpm range.

Wildthings wrote: Most people want torque in the 2000-4000 rpm range, if you have to rev the engine to 7000 rpm to see the 25-30% HP increase then most people would not get full use out of them. $2400 for two heads would be a lot to pay for an increase in HP that mostly showed itself above 5000 rpms.

Jake de Villiers Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:01 am

Syncronoid wrote: Marco claims the increase is across the entire rpm range.
Cylinder filling would be enhanced throughout the rev range with those valves. As long as the injection system can accommodate the added flow you'd see a lot more power.
And they're beautiful!

MarkWard Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:51 am

In theory to a point, the ECU has a target fuel mixture map. The oxygen sensor should notice a change in mixture and "tell" the ECU to increase the injector pulse width to compensate.

And adjustable fuel pressure regulator would allow you to increase fuel flow per pulse by raising the pressure, but that increases fueling across the board, so at idle the oxygen sensor might be unhappy.

As long as the larger seats remain in place, looks like a nice improvement over stock.

felixbobcat Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:10 am

Full disclosure, I ordered a set of these as well as a set of his new 1.35 ratio rockers. Won't get them for another month and I won't be installing them until the New Year. Work has got me slammed until then.

I will in fact do a before and after Dyno test to see what performance gains are achieved on my engine. They will be going on a 2.1 litre with Marco's injectors and Gowesty Stainless Exhaust.

ALIKA T3 Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:59 am

felixbobcat wrote: Full disclosure, I ordered a set of these as well as a set of his new 1.35 ratio rockers. Won't get them for another month and I won't be installing them until the New Year. Work has got me slammed until then.

I will in fact do a before and after Dyno test to see what performance gains are achieved on my engine. They will be going on a 2.1 litre with Marco's injectors and Gowesty Stainless Exhaust.

Yes!!!! 8) 8) 8)

DanHoug Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:33 pm

felixbobcat wrote: Full disclosure, I ordered a set of these as well as a set of his new 1.35 ratio rockers. Won't get them for another month and I won't be installing them until the New Year. Work has got me slammed until then.

wow and very good! we will anxiously await your results! it's great you have access to dyno testing, thank you!

0to60in6min Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:55 pm

WOW.... very nice...

I already have his injectors and 1.25 rocker arms on my van... but this is very tempting...

since I won't do the swap myself I have to factor in labor cost...

goldtooth Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:33 pm

Put these on a Rocky Jennings built 2.3L would be cool. Spendy but cool.
nate

Schustie Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:10 pm

Wow, that is a pretty damn tight tolerance between the two valves!
Did you say there is or is not any long term testing results that have come back?

Aryana Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:02 pm

Marco is a good dude. Interested to see the before/after dyno results.

4Gears4Tires Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:13 am

MarkWard wrote: In theory to a point, the ECU has a target fuel mixture map. The oxygen sensor should notice a change in mixture and "tell" the ECU to increase the injector pulse width to compensate.

And adjustable fuel pressure regulator would allow you to increase fuel flow per pulse by raising the pressure, but that increases fueling across the board, so at idle the oxygen sensor might be unhappy.

As long as the larger seats remain in place, looks like a nice improvement over stock.

Yeah, but isnt that to account for maybe 5% in hp variance in engine manufacturing tolerances?

A rising rate fuel pressure regulator allows you to increase fuel flow at higher rpms and leave idle alone. But that's out dated late 90s/early 2000s tech, nobody really does that anymore. Anyone that wants to make power switches to a tunable ECU.

MarkWard Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:37 am

I started my post “to a point”. You’ve likely identified the point. You have more options to increase fueling with the stock system if you run in open loop. Stand-alone systems give you the access to control fueling, timing, etc. There is a tremendous learning curve for the majority of the owners when it comes to stand-alone systems.

sanchius Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:23 am

Any interest in doing a dyno test with/without a chipped D ECU?

felixbobcat Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:17 pm

sanchius wrote: felixbobcat wrote: Full disclosure, I ordered a set of these as well as a set of his new 1.35 ratio rockers. Won't get them for another month and I won't be installing them until the New Year. Work has got me slammed until then.

Any interest in doing a dyno test with/without a chipped D ECU?

I'll be paying for the Dyno test so I need to see how much time they will give me and if their are additional charges if I were to change the ECU.

I'm assuming you have a chipped ECU you can lend me.

4Gears4Tires Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:57 am

If you really want get the most power out of it, get as many ECUs as you can. You can always sell them afterwards. Dyno test all of them and use the one with the best curve / max hp / whatever.

That is what they do in Spec e30 racing when they are limited to the stock computer. Over time variances in electronics can become quite a large change in fueling/timing!