TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: Sad news... No more Liveworkwander Ripley videos Page: 1, 2  Next
WestyWanter Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:33 pm

I'm sure most of us got the chance to want the LWW syncro travels I really enjoy watching their videos over even though they've since sold their VW and are seemingly still looking for their next permanent rig... but today when I felt like watching their stuff I noticed they must have deleted all of their travel series. Feels bad.

Zeitgeist 13 Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:58 pm

I'm not sure which of the many vanlife channels this represents. Is it the one with the bikini chick, or the yoga pants model?

Abscate Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:01 pm

Zeitgeist 13 wrote: I'm not sure which of the many vanlife channels this represents. Is it the one with the bikini chick, or the yoga pants model?

Alex Trebeck: be more specific

jberger Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:09 pm

FWIW I thoroughly enjoyed their clips. Itís more about their relationships than the van.. house.. troupie.. earthroamer.. it was real life... struggles, laughs, pain, joy. It all spoke to me. No bikinis.. but beautiful people.

J

Zeitgeist 13 Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:12 pm

I think you can understand my cynicism.

markz2004 Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:53 pm

Zeitgeist 13 wrote: I think you can understand my cynicism.

Yup.

erste Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:14 pm

jberger wrote: FWIW I thoroughly enjoyed their clips. Itís more about their relationships than the van.. house.. troupie.. earthroamer.. it was real life... struggles, laughs, pain, joy. It all spoke to me. No bikinis.. but beautiful people.

J
well said and I agree.

The Ripley videos look to still be up on their site: https://liveworkwander.com/
Scroll down about halfway.

goldtooth Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:13 pm

We really enjoyed their series. They were very honest with their struggles and made great content.
nate

ZsZ Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:15 am

WestyWanter wrote: I'm sure most of us got the chance to want the LWW syncro travels I really enjoy watching their videos over even though they've since sold their VW and are seemingly still looking for their next permanent rig... but today when I felt like watching their stuff I noticed they must have deleted all of their travel series. Feels bad.

they have sold it in 2018

Syncro Jael Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:05 am

I too enjoyed their adventures in Ripley. Syncro ownership can be overwhelming at times. Especially if you farm out the repair work to other mechanics and trust their skills and ability. Turning your own wrenches does give you peace of mind when something goes awry on the trail.

I have started another overlanding build for our future plans, that is on an entirely different platform. As we are getting older the stresses of driving a vintage vehicle all over the continent is beginning to wear on us. Replacement parts are not as high of quality and need to be replaced more than they should.

It is really difficult to beat the Swiss Army Knife build of a Syncro Westfalia High Top. :D

joetiger Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:45 am

They're the ones who had a sweet 2wd (met them in Moab, nice folks,) then went all in on a Syncro, got screwed with a bad TDI conversion, blamed the Syncro, bought a 4Runner, decided they weren't 4Runner people, bought a Toyota Troopie? They quit that van a couple of years ago.

https://liveworkwander.com/we-live-here-now/

That Syncro was purchased by a woman in SoCal and, apparently having been properly set up, is out there being driven. I saw it in Winter Park a while back.

WestyWanter Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:07 am

ZsZ wrote: WestyWanter wrote: I'm sure most of us got the chance to want the LWW syncro travels I really enjoy watching their videos over even though they've since sold their VW and are seemingly still looking for their next permanent rig... but today when I felt like watching their stuff I noticed they must have deleted all of their travel series. Feels bad.

they have sold it in 2018

Yes I'm aware they sold it back in 2018, but it was nice seeing their struggles and real life representation of struggles of life on the road. Also their story telling style was something I enjoyed. Its kind of like watching your favorite movie, sure its great the first time but the times after that are still enjoyable.

WestyWanter Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:10 am

Syncro Jael wrote: I too enjoyed their adventures in Ripley. Syncro ownership can be overwhelming at times. Especially if you farm out the repair work to other mechanics and trust their skills and ability. Turning your own wrenches does give you peace of mind when something goes awry on the trail.

I have started another overlanding build for our future plans, that is on an entirely different platform. As we are getting older the stresses of driving a vintage vehicle all over the continent is beginning to wear on us. Replacement parts are not as high of quality and need to be replaced more than they should.

It is really difficult to beat the Swiss Army Knife build of a Syncro Westfalia High Top. :D


Jael: You have one of the most beautiful vans I've ever seen and have enjoyed your videos/build for quite some time. I'm currently saving up for a syncro and would like to own one before next summer!

WestyWanter Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:14 am

joetiger wrote: They're the ones who had a sweet 2wd (met them in Moab, nice folks,) then went all in on a Syncro, got screwed with a bad TDI conversion, blamed the Syncro, bought a 4Runner, decided they weren't 4Runner people, bought a Toyota Troopie? They quit that van a couple of years ago.

https://liveworkwander.com/we-live-here-now/

That Syncro was purchased by a woman in SoCal and, apparently having been properly set up, is out there being driven. I saw it in Winter Park a while back.

Yeah those are the guys, I had a small discussion with them on their IG comment section it sounded like the constant TDI/transmission issues ruined the vehicle for them. If it had not been for those constant issues they'd likely still be in a syncro. The syncro westy is truly a best of all worlds when done correctly.

I still follow the IG page for Ripley and it seems that she is having better luck than they did, sounds like they finally got it all dialed in... just a little too late to save their relationship to Ripley.

joetiger Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:23 am

WestyWanter wrote: joetiger wrote: They're the ones who had a sweet 2wd (met them in Moab, nice folks,) then went all in on a Syncro, got screwed with a bad TDI conversion, blamed the Syncro, bought a 4Runner, decided they weren't 4Runner people, bought a Toyota Troopie? They quit that van a couple of years ago.

https://liveworkwander.com/we-live-here-now/

That Syncro was purchased by a woman in SoCal and, apparently having been properly set up, is out there being driven. I saw it in Winter Park a while back.

Yeah those are the guys, I had a small discussion with them on their IG comment section it sounded like the constant TDI/transmission issues ruined the vehicle for them. If it had not been for those constant issues they'd likely still be in a syncro. The syncro westy is truly a best of all worlds when done correctly.

I still follow the IG page for Ripley and it seems that she is having better luck than they did, sounds like they finally got it all dialed in... just a little too late to save their relationship to Ripley.

That Syncro lust is dangerous. It can lead people to ditch perfectly good 2wd Vanagons and go headlong into a whole new world of pain (and pleasure!) :D

jimf909 Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:24 am

Syncro Jael wrote:

I have started another overlanding build for our future plans, that is on an entirely different platform. As we are getting older the stresses of driving a vintage vehicle all over the continent is beginning to wear on us. Replacement parts are not as high of quality and need to be replaced more than they should.



Syncro Jael, do you have a build thread that can be followed? I continue to wonder when that day will come for our Vanagon and what the replacement will be (modern high-top vans are the leading candidates).

ZsZ Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:06 am

WestyWanter wrote: ZsZ wrote: WestyWanter wrote: I'm sure most of us got the chance to want the LWW syncro travels I really enjoy watching their videos over even though they've since sold their VW and are seemingly still looking for their next permanent rig... but today when I felt like watching their stuff I noticed they must have deleted all of their travel series. Feels bad.

they have sold it in 2018

Yes I'm aware they sold it back in 2018, but it was nice seeing their struggles and real life representation of struggles of life on the road. Also their story telling style was something I enjoyed. Its kind of like watching your favorite movie, sure its great the first time but the times after that are still enjoyable.

Their dog died not so long ago, and probably they had some meltdown as they said on their Instagram.

Sodo Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:28 am

Here's what they're driving now: https://liveworkwander.com/we-live-here-now/

I did a similar thing (the five Syncro transmissions) back in the day. Good thing I stayed around home. :shock:

They mixed too many volatile details for a travel rig. If they had been lucky enough to find a real transaxle builder and a reliable engine install in the beginning. Or perhaps a more sensible engine for travel, they might still be in a Syncro.

Some transaxles cannot be helped, they have been abused for much too long. All the gears are within an inch of remaining life, ready to quickly contaminate the oil in the "next rebuild". Such a trans requires an expert builder and ....... an expert wallet. And new, OEM quality replacement parts. This is a tall order. Like a $10,000 order.

Transaxle-abuse is widespread in the Vanagon world so you can assume that a large percentage of the transaxles are being run into trash out there (right now). It's common for forum advice, and even experienced mechanic advice to be "wait 'til it makes noise, then exchange it for a rebuilt". As if good used low-mile trannies and good parts are still out there. They're not. That advice has been non-viable for 15-20 years.

So you get someone else's POS that consequently won't run much longer after rebuilt. Or you get your own POS back that you personally trashed by running it after noisy. Which is understandable due to the popularity of the bad advice. Then toss big engines into the mix, a heavy foot, continued (and popular) poor maintenance. That was me back in 2009-2014. That was the Samba advice back then, and I didn't question it. A lot of the fault was my own, but the stuff goes bad even faster mixing all that with a crap rebuild.

Ya gotta watch the magnet on an antique vehicle. Big hairy magnet afro means one of two things: You're killing your trans quicker by NOT changing $20 of oil often enough -OR- it's really dying, get it rebuilt now before it trashes your gears and becomes a hopeless POS. "Mud" on the magnet where you cannot feel or see any long parts suggests you can run awhile more (but maintain it better ! and check the magnet again soon). Strings of longer particles = "rebuild immediately". And of course whining = it's too late, it's likely a POS already and will require an expert rebuilder and $$$ if you wanna go far from home.

Syncro Jael Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:24 pm

jimf909 wrote:
Syncro Jael, do you have a build thread that can be followed? I continue to wonder when that day will come for our Vanagon and what the replacement will be (modern high-top vans are the leading candidates).

I too looked at all the "Van" platforms out there. There are some really great builds on these. But I am after a more capable off-road vehicle. So many times I have pointed our triple knob Syncro up places and they were still not doable. Due to gearing, power, articulation, with its approach, break over, and departure angles. Don't get me wrong, the Syncro is a very capable vehicle. When in Colorado we had many ask us what we were doing up here in a van on Imogene and Black Bear Passes. It was interesting that the Syncro could turn the switchbacks on Black Bear while the Jeeps did a 2-point turn. :D Years later I can still slide under the van and see marks from these adventures.

But I am working with an antique vehicle. It has its limitations. And it still has the issue of a weak transaxle to work with.

We have always had Jeeps in our family. My very first vehicle was a 1949 Willys.

My new platform will be on a 2021 Jeep Rubicon Gladiator. I ordered one with the new generation Eco-Diesel. Power, torque, and gearing will be a non-issue for me. Fuel mileage will increase substantially. As will creature comforts and safety. The build will include removing the bed and replacing it with a PCOR tray bed. I have always watched the Australian overlanders and their builds. Very impressive vehicles for overlanding the backcountry of Australia.

Then a custom flatbed pop up camper will be manufactured to fit the tray perfectly. I will miss the walk-thru from the driver's seat to the living quarters, but the compromise will be the ability to unbolt the camper, on jacks, and have the truck to go explore in. I will actually gain additional living space in the camper and have the convenience of modern components inside. I have been following many overlanders on Youtube. Grizzley and Bear have a Defender and a popup camper. For a couple years they have been all over the world.

Yes, a new vehicle will present its own issues. Very complicated electronics and computer systems along with a newer generation turbo-diesel will make DIY repairs more complicated. But it will also provide a more comfortable and safer platform to build on. This build will take a couple years to complete due to the lead time on the custom camper and other components.

This forum is not the place for my future build, but I don't plan on selling my Syncro anytime soon. I have dumped my heart and soul into this build and have reaped the rewards of exploring all over North America from Alaska to New Foundland, all over Canada, and much of the United States.

We Love our Vanagon!


11BC2 Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:54 pm

"Our asking price was $65,000, even though we spent a blinding amount more than that on her. That price was scoffed at by idiots from coast to coast who know nothing of the value of restored Syncros."

Aaaaaand....That's all I need to know about them.



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group