TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Buggeee's Build of an Autolinea Case Mystery Kit Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Buggeee Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:40 pm

Hello gearheads. I have come to annoy you.

I built a 1600 DP for my 72 Super in my basement when all I had to set it on was a little blue wood trolly cart. It turned out well in my estimation and I had fun with it in two different cars. It was mounted in my 61 Turkis Pile when that Bug got adopted out last month so I'm going to build another engine this winter for my 72 Super in preparation for next cruising season. Now I have engine stands, long work benches, plenty of room and want to try doing something that will make me learn some more about what numbers mean.

Here is a mystery long block that I picked up off CL for $850 last night on a whim. It is brand new, assembled to where it sits by some unknown PO and passed through a couple hands before landing on my little blue cart.

I intend to disassemble it, measure and inventory everything, and then build something. I am used to building Leggos. My auto and motorcycle engine builds have always been basically stock arrangements, with carburation and exhaust candy added at the end for the coolness mainly.

With this one, it seems like the Autolinea bubbletop aluminum case is beefy in areas that would allow something more robust. So, my mind is open to wherever this leads.

Rumor accompanying the longblock is that it was, at one time, a 1776 full engine kit coming out of a Texas vendor, with new case, new heads, new AA 90.5 jugs and pistons, with the rest being remanufactured stock internals. It is set up for a sand seal and full flow. That, and the markings circling the jugs on the case, look consistent with the Autolinea cases that would be set up for 90.5 on various vendor's web sites.

As it sits now, it is missing the flywheel, pushrods and rockers. My infant mind, trapped in a decaying body, suggests I take this as a sign from my Maker that I am to put in a strong valve operating system and pressurize the aspiration.

Anyway, here is the first look of what I pulled out of my trunk and dropped on the little blue cart. I'll come back and bother you more when I get my workbench cleared off and have some pictures of the internals. In the meantime if anyone has information come to mind about what they see, mine is an empty vessel.

VW_Jimbo Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:44 pm

Looks like a good start to a fun project! Get that torn down. I wanna see what’s inside!

Lingwendil Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:28 pm

Tearing down a mystery engine is one of the purest forms of fun in this hobby, and always interesting to see. Fingers crossed that it's got some good stuff inside 8)

sgmalt46 Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:30 pm

well it is missing pushrod tubes on the 1/2 side. :? it might leak a little.

Pruneman99 Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:57 pm

With a 4 dowel crank, I'm betting just a stock crank. They must have blown the entire budget on that case! That's a $1,000 bill right there.

Chickensoup Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:58 pm

could be a big bore stock stroke engine. Note the chromoly retainers and what looks like stiffer springs. Will be interesting to see what kind of heads its got.

Mg cases are prety much the same cost as a new Al case so it would make sense why someone would go for the Al.

Dan Ruddock Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:30 pm

Those heads are aa500’s

SBD Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:39 pm

:popcorn:

Brian_e Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:46 pm

I am gonna guess 1776cc, w110 cam, bone stock AA500 40x35 heads, stock crank and rods.

Good place to start for sure. Swap the stock crank for a 74mm, spend some time smoothing the valve bowls and add some 40mm idfs.

Brian

FreeBug Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:51 am

What's the point of a bubble-top if your not running at least 84mm stroke? Make that case earn its keep!

vamram Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:47 am

:popcorn:

GARRICK.CLARK Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:26 am

That's a bargain at 850 dollar. Yeah it will need stripping as its an unknown. Hopefully its all good inside with just the crank that needs to be replaced with a better quality one. If it's 1776, and your happy with that CC get a quality counterweighted 8 dowel one.
O... and get it all rebalanced.

ArnoudH Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:22 am

Buggeee wrote: My infant mind, trapped in a decaying body
:D :D :D

nextgen Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:08 am

On my T-4 which I was told it was a never run, never seen oil engine training engine I bought from a Manhattan Porsche, I was tired with engine builds after totalling my 914. Ws going to bolt it up and go.

Lucky I decided to built it up to a 2.0, found that one of the trainee mechanics over torqued the the bolt on the oil pick up tube, and cracked the case.

Take your time !!!! Hey, looks great and ALUMNUM case, ha. you are ahead of game.

Zundfolge1432 Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:09 am

We used to see all kinds of crazy things people did, crushed bearings, too much sealant,RTV, cast iron oil pumps, booster oil springs and plungers, Over crammed, over machined cranks, etc. you’ll get to see the whole mess😀

Very soon the heads here will be recommending big stroker because why not? That will be the logic. Whatever you decide it looks like fun. :D

GARRICK.CLARK Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:40 am

Put an 86 mm crank in it. 😁

evanfrucht Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:46 am

At least 82 or something.... I mean, why not? :wink:
:lol:

I think a 74mm or 78mm crank would be very appropriate compromise for this build. Once you go bigger than that you will need to change even more parts... which isnt a huge deal if you are up for it.

The aluminum case comes clearanced for a big crank already. It's an easy upgrade that will give you more power and torque. Save the stock crank for a closer to stock build in a magnesium case. Seems sensible? Unless you'd rather use what you already have.

Do you want an engine capable of 80-90hp or 130+? Its up to you

If you really like the 1776 then stick with it... but just know it's not that much harder or more expensive to go bigger

texastomeh Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:17 am

Buggeee,

From all appearances, looks like you may have struck GOLD!! :shock: :shock:

I am currently building a 1776 (69x90.5) using a new AUTOLINEA BT case.

Just IGNORE the multitude of wicked evil guys on the forum (and my Grandson :roll: ) that will keep accusing you of "wasting a good case" and "overkill", and urging you to build THEIR "dream engine". :lol: :lol:

I know from reading many of your previous posts, that you will build what YOU want and run it like you stole it!! 8) 8)

I look forward to following your build.

Stay well, my friend!! 8) 8)

Tom

Lingwendil Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:52 pm

If you end up with excessive deck put a bigger crank in it and shim as needed. Build it. Ignore the sensible comment above mine :twisted:

Grego in Sac Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:58 pm

I am in the same boat as you, bought a mystery engine off of CL and mine turned out to pretty cool for the money I have in it.
You never know what you are going to get, it’s all a gamble, build it like it was intended then upgrade if needed. It’s your build and more importantly it’s your budget!