TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Disconnected battery, now reconnected it seems weaker
depps74 Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:18 pm

1990 multivan. I Recently installed a kitchenette behind the passenger seat and as such had to remove the battery to secure the kitchenette to battery compartment. When I reconnected the battery the positive nut was stripped and very hard to tighten. I had to tap it and really work it to tighten and its still not really perfect. While doing this a couple of times the ground wire was attached (by just drifting onto the battery nut) and I got a few sparks.

Now when I start the van it takes the starter longer to start the van, and on one occasion it dint have enough power to start the van and I had to jump it.

Did I kill my battery? Or do I just need to get that connection rock solid? My mechanic said the starter is perfect. I have no idea how old the battery is, but looks newish.

A side note, the cable to the starter did come off once, and I cleaned and clamped the connection better.

dhaavers Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:28 pm

Batteries don't last forever, but here's my simple three-step plan:

1) Pull battery again & clean the ground cable connection to body.
2) Replace wonky + clamp.
3) Reinstall battery & put it on a good charger overnight (8-10 amps).
4) Try again & be ready to buy a new battery....
(...doesn't matter what it looks like, it's just gotta work...)

Optional step 3.5) Run to your FLAPS & ask for a free battery load test.
(You'll probably end up doing this sooner or later...) <shrug>

- Dave

MarkWard Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:46 am

Always disconnect the battery ground before you disconnect the positive cable. Those sparks could cause in rare instances an explosion. Certainly your arching drained the battery some. Time to get your volt meter out and measure what’s going on.

jimf909 Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:28 am

MarkWard wrote: Always disconnect the battery ground before you disconnect the positive cable. Those sparks could cause in rare instances an explosion. Certainly your arching drained the battery some. Time to get your volt meter out and measure what’s going on.

This was drilled into me decades ago. My young and dumb brain wondered "why disconnect the negative, the red one carries all the power" (false). When the negative cable is connected to the battery the entire chassis becomes negative and is waiting to create a short anytime a wrench (or wire) connected to the positive side of the battery touches the chassis. When negative is divorced from all circuits you can touch the positive wires anywhere you want (mostly) and there's no harm.

MarkWard Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:41 am

For vans with more than one battery, I suggest disconnecting both battery ground cables. At one time I had a Yandina combiner. The batteries should have been isolated, but were combined. I got a few surprise sparks changing the alternator.

jlrftype7 Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:51 am

MarkWard wrote: For vans with more than one battery, I suggest disconnecting both battery ground cables. At one time I had a Yandina combiner. The batteries should have been isolated, but were combined. I got a few surprise sparks changing the alternator. :shock: :shock:
Oops.....THAT WOULD be a surprise....