TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: New rebuilt rack - pinion units with problems ? Please list here
Tvättbjörn Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:45 pm

Have to buy a rebuilt rack - pinon unit, but not sure what brand to buy. There are just too many aftermarket rebuilder out there.

If you did buy a rebuilt unit and had problems with it in a short time or just out of the box already please list manufacture and problems with it . Like leaks or excessive play on the shaft where the tie rods attaching too , damaged threads ...( even if it was for a non-vw ).

Thanks

markswagen Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:05 pm

i bought 6 mavel racks for customers, one had issues, if filled the boots with fluid, at a week after installation, not due to installation error.
the rest have been 100%
i have another sat in it's box, ready for it's new owner.

kourt Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:07 am

Why not buy a new (not rebuilt) one? They are available.

https://www.vancafe.com/Vanagon-Steering-Rack-s/3468.htm

I bought one of these new racks last year. Nice install, and no problems. The price difference is just $100 more for a new rack.

kourt

4Gears4Tires Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:17 am

Odd that the individual rack is out of stock, but the kit is in stock.

candyman Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:58 am

I bought new from burley and zero issues. For a $150 more than a rebuilt, you get brand new and dont have to deal with shipping a core back. Every rebuilt I have installed, all started leaking within a few years of service

AceTaylor Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:01 am

First rebuilt rack leaked, sent it back. Replacement worked part time. It would generally not work when turning, then suddenly assist would come in the middle of the turn. Exciting, but not pleasant. Those were from Rock Auto. Both went back. 3rd rebuilt rack from BD worked fine for 2 years, then a seal blew out and pumped all the oil out. Luckily just 100 feet from the house. Replaced that with a new rack from BD. Works great. Much more power assist quiet and dry. Worth every cent.

What ever you do, take great care with the soft aluminum hydraulic line adapters on the rack. Bugger them up and they will leak and nearly impossible to find.

jimf909 Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:17 am

4Gears4Tires wrote: Odd that the individual rack is out of stock, but the kit is in stock.

While that may look like bait and switch, in COVID supply chains are disrupted and VC may have purchased 20 individual racks, 10 kits and the customers bought up all the individual racks and now VC is waiting for the mfr to make more. This is on top of the already tough-to-buy-for-and-predict small Vanagon parts market.

I've been retailing for over 30 years and the-right-product-in-the-right-place-at-the-right-time is not always easy. Thank goodness we have artificial intelligence and machine learning ready to solve these problems for us. :) <abort rant launch> :)

Butcher Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:19 am

I've not had good luck with Maval racks. One client I put in 3 and it finally got fixed when the car was totaled.

Tvättbjörn Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:12 pm

markswagen wrote: i bought 6 mavel racks for customers, one had issues, if filled the boots with fluid, at a week after installation, not due to installation error.
the rest have been 100%
i have another sat in it's box, ready for it's new owner.

Wow, Maval - that 1 out of six is even worse what I was expecting to hear. There is second person having even worse luck with them.

I know there are new racks out there , but I really hate to install a very important part in my car if it is not made in the Western World.

I would rather install a rebuilt unit, but it just has to be done correct including installing new rack sleeves if they are worn out. That is actually how many leaks are being created. THe seals are getting hard and the flopping around shaft in a worn out housing does not seal anymore. Even new seals can not compensate for play.

SCM Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:38 pm

I bought a Mavel rack about 6-7 years ago, installed it and a rebuilt PS pump a year or two later. No problems so far.