TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: syncro brake cables?
kguarnotta Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:01 pm

I've got an '86 syncro - weird brake things happening. Parking brake never quite worked right for me. I found out some of the shoes had issues - etc etc.

I have replaced the shoes, and rear wheel cylinders. When I pull the emergency brake cable - the passenger side does not seem to move properly. I replaced the parking brake cable stop - as the cable was cutting through the side of it. Same thing happening with the replacement. I'm wondering if the cable might be gummed up inside - so I was going to replace the cables.

I see gowesty has one on their website they say works for left or right. Then van cafe has syncro specific ones left and right, for twice the price...but they don't fit syncro 16".

Not sure where to go here...suggestions, clarifications welcome...thanks.

4Gears4Tires Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:48 am

Have you considered switching to rear disc brakes?

That's my plan if my brakes ever give me trouble. Honestly, my biggest hold up is that the van came with new 14" BFG A/Ts.

MarkWard Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:37 am

So you have an Original Syncro 16? Iím surprised to read that the 2wd and syncro have different cables. When I converted my 90, the brakes and cables appeared to be interchangeable. The 90 stuff was in better shape no problem fitting it to the syncro driveline.

If you have a 16, I imagine the cables need to be longer for the longer trailing arms. The unique 16 parts seem to be more difficult to come by in the US.

You might be able to have custom cables made locally. Our hydraulic supply house makes cables.

kguarnotta Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:04 am

Sorry - I don't know or think that is was original 16, but they are 16 now.

Go westy says the cables are interchangeable (but they are out of stock) VanCafe says to use different cables.

A disc brake upgrade sounds good, but I've read mixed reviews on the conversion. I also have a bunch of other projects going on - that I'd like to complete before tackling something like that. I've got no garage where I live now, and it is getting cold.

Microbusdeluxe Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:07 pm

Gunzl in Germany has different cables listed for the syncro 16. They are longer than the regular syncro. Interestingly enough the 2wd cables are longer than the syncro 14 or 16 cables.
https://www.vwbusshop.de/epages/GuenzlClassicParts...dbremsseil

Steve M. Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:18 pm

Brickwerks in the UK has them also.

https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/t3-parts/t3-syncro/brakes/handbrake.html