TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Rocker panel outer skin
Cptn. Calzone Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:08 pm

Got a complete rocker panel from Isp (used and in great shape.My intention is to remove the outer skin off the donor piece and attach it (after cutting out the cancer) to the drivers side.What is the best method to remove the donor skin without any damage to it ..Thank you G

andybla Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:38 am

drill out the spot welds?

Mike Fisher Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:38 am

Easier to cut/weld in the complete heater channel on both ends.

Cptn. Calzone Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:12 pm

Success!! Now to elevate the car so welding and cutting on the car will be much easier

Tvättbjörn Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:00 pm

Cptn. Calzone wrote: Success!! Now to elevate the car so welding and cutting on the car will be much easier

Depends how bad the rocker is . Replace the outer skin only. It is no big deal and way less work. I usually grind away the metal around the spot welds ( spot weld sits almost always a little recessed ) with an angle grinder and use pliers to pull off the left-over metal. You can also drill out the spot welds carefully, but it is harder not to damage the second sheet metal panel.

Keep your door installed and be sure it lines up before you start welding in the new piece!! :wink:

Cptn. Calzone Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:01 pm

That is exactly what we did! It's done it's welded in a low door alignment and off she goes to the pinar

Cptn. Calzone Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:27 am

And I have a complete inner channel with the heater Box in very good condition if anybody needs it PM me and I'll ship it to you I'll spread the love just pay shipping that yours