TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Hose coming down on passenger side above tire
brundl3fly Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:20 am

Hi all,

I have this strange hose coming down from what might be the passenger seat area, behind the tire. It goes nowhere and don't know if it's disconnected from something or just a weird vent hose for something like the battery compartment. I can upload a photo if needed but was hoping it was an easy answer. I tried the search AND looked in the Bently but tracking diagrams when you don't know the purpose is not very fruitful.

Thanks!

a2wolfsburggli Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:56 am

Most likely the Battery Vent tube. Older non-maint. free batteries had a vent on them to attach to a tub to purge Hydrogen gas from the chemical reactions in between the acid and plates.

Modern sealed batteries don't need this for obvious reason.

MarkWard Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:28 am

Is the fuel expansion tank still in the fender area? Location is the upper rear of the fender well. Both sides unless it's a syncro. You didn't mention the year or model.

dobryan Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:37 am

If you can post a pic we'd be able to id it pretty easy. :D

brundl3fly Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:10 pm

I'm sorry! Duh. Its an 84 Westy. I'll see about getting a pic up!

It's not the balance tank hose, those are in place. This is a larger hose, seems like it could be a heater hose or something similar.

MarkWard Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:13 pm

Abandoned AC?

brundl3fly Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:15 pm

brundl3fly Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:21 pm

As far as the AC question this one doesnt have AC.

That pic is taken just above the passenger tire, if that's not obvious.

dabaron Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:24 pm

brundl3fly wrote:

vent from near the positive battery terminal. put steel wool in there to keep the mice out, and while you're there, stuff some in the covered vent in line with the negative terminal... the angled boxy thing in the left of the picture.

brundl3fly Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:37 pm

Thanks, dabaron. I was hoping it was something easy like that but tho I had a suspicion based on the location (the only thing near is the battery) I saw that second vent and was like "wait... why would there be two?" :D