TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Sliding front windows
Vrvwkombi Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:48 pm

I’m trying to find the front door sliding windows for my ‘58 Kombi. All the replacement windows I find are windows with a “vent” hole. Our original windows have NO holes. Anyone have any luck finding a source for a window WITHOUT the hole? Thanks!

Eric&Barb Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:00 pm

Search in the classifieds. Post a "WTB" in the classifieds if you do not find such by searching.

Riff Raff Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:56 pm

Vrvwkombi wrote: I’m trying to find the front door sliding windows for my ‘58 Kombi. All the replacement windows I find are windows with a “vent” hole. Our original windows have NO holes. Anyone have any luck finding a source for a window WITHOUT the hole? Thanks!

The original windows in your Kombi are SIGLA. They are laminated glass.
Because of the lamination, moisture gets between the layers and discoulours and bubbles it.
The glass with the "hole" is SEKURIT glass. It was made for commercial vehicles, and is tempered.
Because of that, it ages much better than laminated. That is why there is much more of it available.
Further, all passenger vehicles used SIGLA, so over the years, there has been a much greater demand for it.
The supply of good used SIGLA glass, especially door glass and windshields is almost non existent.

An expedient course of action would be just to get a glass shop to cut you new glass for your doors.

mdege Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:51 pm

Riff Raff wrote: It was made for commercial vehicles, and is tempered.

This is only true for the US and Canadian market. In Europe all splits had tempered side windows. And laminated windshields were special delivery with a separate M-code.

earlywesty Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:04 am

User staceyz makes nice reproduction glass, including sigla, with themcorrect logo.

Riff Raff Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:31 am

mdege wrote: Riff Raff wrote: It was made for commercial vehicles, and is tempered.

This is only true for the US and Canadian market. In Europe all splits had tempered side windows. And laminated windshields were special delivery with a separate M-code.

Good information
I make an effort to hide my geocentricity but am not always successful.

buseric wrote: User staceyz makes nice reproduction glass, including sigla, with the correct logo.

Second that

Clara Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:13 am

Riff Raff wrote:
buseric wrote: User staceyz makes nice reproduction glass, including sigla, with the correct logo.

Second that
I'll third that. I have some of his glass in my October 31, 1960 buildt 15 window.

Vrvwkombi Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:41 pm

Thank you all for the info. I'll look into Staceyz :)