TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Vanagon air cooled curiosity - SOLVED, thanks danfromsyr
jimf909 Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:59 am

The photo below is from a 1981 air cooled Vanagon with fuel injection. Does anyone know what the keypad to the right of the gauge cluster is for?

Diagnostics reader? On-board telephone? Flux capacitor controller?

Thanks.

The winning answer...
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-jubilee-programmable-musical-506820604

mikemtnbike Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:10 am

I'm going with intercom so you can talk to the people in the back.

leecat Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:11 am

Tricorder.

Vanagon Nut Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:11 am

Well, since the engine is fuel injected.....

Fuel pump disable (security).

Code is: 1111 ;)

Or, keypad is for Revox reel to reel tape transport. Can't beat that analogue sound!

Neil.

MarkWard Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:25 am

Neil, interested in a Sony TC 458 reel to reel in the original box? Know anyone that might? Mark

danfromsyr Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:38 am

what do I win if I know.. guess this makes me old now.
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-jubilee-programmable-musical-506820604
jimf909 wrote: The photo below is from a 1981 air cooled Vanagon with fuel injection. Does anyone know what the keypad to the right of the gauge cluster is for?

Thanks.

Vanagon Nut Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:45 am

MarkWard wrote: Neil, interested in a Sony TC 458 reel to reel in the original box? Know anyone that might? Mark

Sounds like a nice "barn find" but sorry, no thanks. If I think of anyone I'll p-mail you!

danfromsyr: I saw an ice cream truck song playing gizmo for sale a while ago. I was tempted (what fun at camp outs! ;) )

Neil.

jimf909 Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:52 am

Vanagon Nut wrote:

Or, keypad is for Revox reel to reel tape transport. Can't beat that analogue sound!

Neil.

Hilarious and coincidental. I grew up listening to all sorts of music on my dad's Revox A77. :D

Xevin Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:58 am

I want to hear La cucaracha or Dixie out of a Vanagon, that would be something :lol:

jimf909 Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:03 pm

Why doesn't every Vanagon have one of these?

Thanks for solving the mystery.

danfromsyr wrote: what do I win if I know.. guess this makes me old now.
jimf909 wrote: The photo below is from a 1981 air cooled Vanagon with fuel injection. Does anyone know what the keypad to the right of the gauge cluster is for?

Thanks.

Vanagon Nut Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:24 pm

jimf909 wrote: Vanagon Nut wrote: Or, keypad is for Revox reel to reel tape transport.

Hilarious and coincidental. I grew up listening to all sorts of music on my dad's Revox A77. :D

Ha! Well, I could be technically wrong about the key pad thing. Key pads I recall were being used on 2" Studer et al. My brother made good use of a Revox back in the 70's doing SOS and whatnot. Our high school had two Revox units (likely A77) and, a very old school synth programmable via what I'd call a peg board.

Now that would be cool in a Vanagon!