TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Any tips on how to remove a bunch of spray paint? Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Walty87 Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:02 am

Just picked up this 1984 camper!

Anyways, anyone have an idea how to remove all this spray paint?

[/b]

Abscate Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:03 am

Someone paid extra for that colour code

Walty87 Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:17 am

Haha!

Itís Oakland art baby!

Franklinstower Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:00 am

I like how you hide the license plate, lol.

valvecovergasket Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:04 am

tried acetone or some brake cleaner and rub gently with a rag?
see what happens on a couple patches... maybe it pulls up some of the factory paint, maybe not.

Walty87 Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:23 am

Franklinstower wrote: I like how you hide the license plate, lol.

Whatever works right lol

Walty87 Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:24 am

valvecovergasket wrote: tried acetone or some brake cleaner and rub gently with a rag?
see what happens on a couple patches... maybe it pulls up some of the factory paint, maybe not.

Havenít tried a thing yet. Thought Iíd ask for some advice before I started doing some things lol!

VicVan Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:04 am

valvecovergasket wrote: tried acetone or some brake cleaner and rub gently with a rag?
Seems like an aggressive cocktail. Maybe start with something gentler. How about some polish or toothpaste, with a polishing wheel?

Jeffrey Lee Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:04 am

Take it down to the Central Pacific Railroad maintenance yards and sneak it in with their next batch of boxcars.

Actually, this isn't a Vanagon-specific problem or question; you might try searching or asking in the Body & Paint forum:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=13

Or at any general old-car automotive paint discussion forum:
https://www.autopia.org/forums/auto-detailing-101-a/24631-removing-graffiti-paint.html
https://www.sellyourcar2jack.com/blog/how-to-get-spray-paint-or-graffiti-off-a-car

Just keep in mind that, if original, your factory paint is single-stage, without a modern clearcoat. Proceed accordingly.

djkeev Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:31 am

Oven cleaner.

Yes, really!

Dave

4Gears4Tires Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:35 am

Walty87 wrote: Franklinstower wrote: I like how you hide the license plate, lol.

Whatever works right lol

Because no one gets to see the license plate out in public right? :roll:

Oven cleaner works really well. I stripped an entire hood that had been spray painted matte black with oven cleaner and the paint below stayed in great condition.

Alika Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:54 am

Virgin lacquer thinner. If that finish is factory or an aftermarket catalyzed paint , the lacquer thinner will not harm it. Try the Virgin laquer thinner on an inconspicuous area (the white) first. Regular laquer thinner (I.E. from a hardware store will not work nearly as effectively). Keep away from the window rubber.

Walty87 Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:27 pm

Thank you so much guys!

Iíve been a long time lurker and finally got myself a vanagon and Iím excited to join you guys. Thank you for the links and ideas. I hope one day to be able to drop knowledge on newbies like myself

Gnarlodious Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:52 pm

Try Acrysol.

RalphWiggam Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:59 pm

I would try and go at it mechanically before chemically if I were you.

First try would be a claybar and you will likely get a decent amount of it without harming any paint at all.

Next try would be some 1500-2000 grit wet sanding. If you watch what you are doing you can watch the color of the washout water coming off and it will tell you what layer of paint you are in.

After that buff it out with some compound and polish. Should take about a days worth of work.

Walty87 Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:03 pm

RalphWiggam wrote: I would try and go at it mechanically before chemically if I were you.

First try would be a claybar and you will likely get a decent amount of it without harming any paint at all.

Next try would be some 1500-2000 grit wet sanding. If you watch what you are doing you can watch the color of the washout water coming off and it will tell you what layer of paint you are in.

After that buff it out with some compound and polish. Should take about a days worth of work.

And a 12 pack of pbr

Jeffrey Lee Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:28 pm

Walty87 wrote: RalphWiggam wrote: Should take about a days worth of work.

And a 12 pack of pbr

:lol: :lol: :lol:

danfromsyr Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:34 pm

what no one else would top coat that in clear Pearrrrll ;-)

Ahwahnee Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:50 pm

Automotive paint is pretty tough and rattle-can paint fairly lame by comparison.

I have removed spray paint by using Aircraft Paint Stripper working quickly in a limited area at a time. Put it on, almost immediately wipe it and the spray paint off then wash the area to rid it of any residual stripper.

Certainly proceed from least aggressive to most aggressive to minimize harm to the factory finish.

djkeev Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:20 pm

Humor me..... go get a can of oven cleaner from the kitchen, try a spot.......
Thank me later.

Dave