TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: EJ25 No Spark
VW_thepeoplescar Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:59 pm

EJ25 Engine from 2003 Subaru Outback
It has been running for 2 years.

No spark when cranking. It will start when roll started.
I removed the camshaft and crankshaft sensors and tested their resistance with an Ohm meter. They both read 1.85, within proper operating ohms. I switched out the ignition relay on the Subaru harness.

Any ideas?

MarkWard Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:20 pm

That it runs fine when push started narrows where to look. Id start with the vanagon ignition switch.

AZ Landshaper Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:23 pm

will it turn over when you jump the terminals at the starter?

have a volt meter? handy tool for these times

not that i know how to use one...but maybe testing voltage at the battery, the starter, the terminals backside of the ign switch might shed some light. Not sure what im talking about. I get by with a very basic understanding and intuition.

[email protected] Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:08 pm

MarkWard wrote: That it runs fine when push started narrows where to look. Id start with the vanagon ignition switch.

sure sounds like a bad switch.

it's probably dropping the 15 feed to the ECU while cranking.

VW_thepeoplescar Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:18 pm

How do I test the ignition switch on the vanagon? How do I bypass it to see if that is the problem? It will crank though, but no spark.

rogertj Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:22 pm

If it was the ignition switch it had no crank at all in your vehicle, do you have a crank?

at least that's what happened to me. I was the connector that goes to the key switch mine was dead when I turned the key on

VW_thepeoplescar Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:25 pm

Yes, it does crank.

VW_thepeoplescar Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:34 pm

I am thinking it could be an issue between the camshaft sensor and ecu or crankshaft sensor and ecu.

rogertj Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:46 pm

What's the method your using to know you don't have spark?

VW_thepeoplescar Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:32 pm

There was a short near the ecu that was not allowing the ecu to provide spark. Problem solved.

rogertj Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:47 pm

Nice because I was beginning to get to uncharted territory

dobryan Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:21 am

Wow. Good fix. That would have been hard to figure out otherwise.

VW_thepeoplescar Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:13 pm

That actually wasn't the issue.

I converted my VW a couple of years ago with my dad. I used Busaru videos on YouTube, but honestly never saw a schematic. I need a schematic. Could someone call/text me? (801) 510-1853. I'm looking for someone who can read technical schematics (man dad is an electrical engineer and drew one).

It ran for a couple of years, but will not start now. It will roll start, but not start with the key. We tore apart the wiring harness to document what we did so we can troubleshoot in the future. Any help would be amazing.

VicVan Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:04 pm

Hi

Have you checked the ignition switch? They're easy to diagnose:
1/ Buy a new one (they're cheap)
2/ Replace the existing one with the new one you just bought. Does the van start?
YES: great! The ignition switch was faulty. Now buy a new one as a spare.
NO: Well at least you know your ignition switch is OK. And you've got a spare which is a must have because they fail often.

Then see this: https://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=33

Finally can you post a picture of the schematic here?

VW_thepeoplescar Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:46 pm

Will the vehicle crank if the ignition switch is faulty? Will there be power to the black ignition start wire in the black box if the ignition switch is faulty?

It does crank. (Power is getting to the starter when I turn it to ignition.)

I do get power to the black ignition wire in the blackbox when the key is in the on position.

wesitarz Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:37 am

With the 2 green test connectors together and key ON, you should get relays clicking and fuel pump priming. If not - check vanagon. If yes - check Subaru.
Check power to the harness at the fused power inputs with key off and key on. I once had a crank/no start where the battery+ would drop out with the key on.It was a bad connection the the B+ post in the black box.
If the ECU has ignition+ ,battery+ and signals from the cam and crank sensors, it could be the ECU (no spark,no injector pulse)
If you disconnect the battery to clear codes, does it start maybe once or twice then no start again? It's the ECU.
Codes?
That it roll starts (pop clutch) has got me. (mine is AT)

rogertj Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:56 am

Check the busaru videos again there's a playlist on youtube of mick doing the test with the harness I would disconnect the starter cable from the starter to perform the test or put it in neutral if you are performing the test with the harness installed I really don't know if it triggers the starter when connected to the engine when you connect the 2 green connectors to test the harness. If you need the ECU pin out it's on his website.

Here's a photo of his playlists on you tube

MarkWard Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:03 am

VW_thepeoplescar wrote: Will the vehicle crank if the ignition switch is faulty? Will there be power to the black ignition start wire in the black box if the ignition switch is faulty?

It does crank. (Power is getting to the starter when I turn it to ignition.)

I do get power to the black ignition wire in the blackbox when the key is in the on position.

Yes, the engine can crank with a bad ignition switch and not provide power for the engine to start. Same switch, separate circuits.