TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 84 Vanagon Spare Tire Pan Replacement Question
kaplang Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:43 pm

Hope all of you are good and please stay safe.

I had to remove the spare tire pan and the arms that hold it to remove the AC condenser. The arms where they go through the hinges had some twisted wire on one side and what looked like a nail wrapped around the other hinged side. I just cut them both off to remove the arms so I could lower the condenser. That all went smoothly. When putting the arms back I thought I would use cotter pins instead of the wire or bent nail but there is no hole for a pin. My question is what should I use? Or is nothing required to hold the arms at the hinges place?

Thanks for any assistance.
Cheers!

Vanagon Nut Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:01 pm

On both my Vanagons, there is a sort of "U" shaped clip that fits into the groove at the end of each bar. 4 in the image below. In lieu of that, a circlip might suffice or as you suggest, drill a hole and use a cotter pin.

I'm no engineer but would suggest that with an OE size tire, as long as it remains inflated, pressure of tire against those bars would likely be enough to keep the bars from moving laterally.

Neil.

kaplang Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:15 pm

Thanks Neil, very helpful. I definitely want to put something. As you say, with a stock tire it should hold but Iím not taking any chances. Could you imagine what could happen if it came out while on the road. Possible disaster?

Iíve considered drilling holes but then Iíd have to remove the arms again and thatís to much like work. I think Iíll try to fabricate some clips like showing in the picture from some heavy piano wire I have. I do have some cir-clips that may fit but I think the fabricated clips will be better if I do them right.

Thanks again
George

Vanagon Nut Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:01 pm

You're welcome George.

For sure. Was just a hypothetical concept. I too would find a way to secure the arm ends.

Neil.

[email protected] Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:00 pm

honestly, pull the arms, drill holes and put in either cotter pins or clevis pins...done.

it would take less time to do that than futz around with another solution imho