TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Kennedy Engineering Updated Catalytic Converter Requirements Page: 1, 2  Next
vanagonliebe Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:28 pm

I live in calfiornia and put the kennedy engineering EJ22 kit in my syncro about 4 years ago so that I could pass smog if ever needed. I went down to smog it for the first time last week and they said the kennedy smog plate wasn't in the system. I called Kennedy and apparently the state updated the standards and the cat I purchased with my kit is no longer "up to standards." Seeing as it only has 4k miles on it and was supposed to be fully legal 4 years ago this seems absurd.

Kennedy wants $250 for the cat and they won't give me the part number or a new placard unless I purchase if from them. Has anyone else had this issue and know a work around or the part number for the updated required cat, I believe they said it was a Walker brand? I'd like to just order the new cat on my own and take a trip down the the BAR office, bypassing the kennedy placard all together.

Thanks

skills@eurocarsplus Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:57 pm

really?

owns a $yncro and 25o bux is worth the headache for a "workaround"?

pay the 2fiddy, get legal and enjoy all the CA has to offer...

the problem is...their ass is in the sling if you need their tag and they sell it to you and you go put some bobo cat on the thing. they want the EPA and BAR at their door like they want a case of herpes....it's their kit that they paid huge R+D fees to make CA legal. i wouldn't give the info away either...they obviously had to jump thru hoops with an updated cat to keep their product legit, so i'd be thankful that they still support what they sell

vanagonliebe Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:37 pm

Well I can make a BAR appointment and get the cat info myself, I just haven't had time as I'm currently in medical school and its not cheap so every penny counts. Was just tying to save a trip to the bar office. I don't feel bad about working around KE, I paid around 2400 for this kit that is currently useless if I can't smog the engine. Thanks for your opinion though.

davideric9 Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:34 pm

last time I looked California legal cat was about $800.

hdenter Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:36 pm

How'd you manage to go 4 years without a smog test?

vanagonliebe Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:41 pm

We only smog on buy/sell in my county. No bi-annual smogs.

hdenter Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:43 pm

Lucky you!!!

16CVs Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:03 am

Catco Part # 58834. Depending on your exhaust system, I had flanges put on mine and slip it in for smog and use a factory Vanagon cat other wise. That way I always have a fresh cat when needed.
I bought the flanges from the ever popular "TerryK" I just looked on Amazon and they one left at $110.00.

Stacy

vanagonliebe Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:47 am

Thanks Stacy, much appreciated!
I'll just weld some flanges on there and I like the idea of swapping them out. I hate to just toss this one in the can with only a few thousand miles on it.

skills@eurocarsplus Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:16 am

here's my point....

110 for a cat, lets say 15 bux for a flange times 2, so 30 bux, now you're at 140. if you don't have a welder, and you pay a shop to weld it up, lets call that another 75. now you're at 215

plus gaskets...say 10 bux...now 225. then go to a BAR appointment?

honestly, it's a case of spend your time or spend your money, not both. just trying to point out that for 250 it wouldn't be worth the hassle (to me) to try and save 25 bux.

not trying to start a war, just point out that it may not be worth it

davideric9 Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:21 pm

davideric9 wrote: last time I looked California legal cat was about $800.

SORRY! that is for vanagon 2.1, not subaru ej22.

However I would be very careful buying any cat other than the one specified in the CARB executive order # D-428-3 which states "AirTeck, Inc (dba Catco) catalytic converter, part number 58834"

They may accept other brands, but I would not bank on that. Just my opinion but the order does not state "or equivalent".

btw, the previous orders (D-428, D-428-1, D-428-2) each listed a different catalytic converter than the one listed in D-428-3, the current order (as far as I can tell) dated April 21, 2014.

vanagonliebe Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:41 pm

davideric9 gave me a good idea. so D-428-3 is from 2014 and it labels the catco 58834. I searched the arb.ca.gov site for D-428-4. In 2019 they updated and changed to a Walker 81101. So apperently that is the new required cat, I'm going to see if BAR will let me slip by with the catco but as it turns out even with the KE placard you have to go to BAR regardless. That's even what KE representative told me. Thanks for the help.

16CVs Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:51 pm

That explains why the 58834 is so hard to find. As long as your Cat is working you won’t need to buy a new one, as I understand it.
My Smog Cat has about 500 miles on it. I am going to look into the new Walker part and see if it can have flanges put on it as well.
I’m sure that KEP is tight lipped about it as they want to capitalize on something that they created.
You do not need to go a Ref, you should need to find a smog shop that can read a set of guidelines. All new cars don’t even do tail pipe or rollers, they just plug into the OBD and these smog guys are getting lazy. Stupid thing is that if they’d let us have a 2.5 they are OBD compliant and our smog would be much easier.

" and an exhaust system which includes a set of manifolds, one muffler, and one Walker Manufacturing Company (d.b.a. Tenneco, Inc.) catalytic converter, part number 81101 "
Sure enough, right form the CARB website "

Thanks for the correction and update.

Stacy

davideric9 Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:04 pm

vanagonliebe wrote: davideric9 gave me a good idea. so D-428-3 is from 2014 and it labels the catco 58834. I searched the arb.ca.gov site for D-428-4. In 2019 they updated and changed to a Walker 81101. So apperently that is the new required cat, I'm going to see if BAR will let me slip by with the catco but as it turns out even with the KE placard you have to go to BAR regardless. That's even what KE representative told me. Thanks for the help.

GREAT Info, I missed the current order. glad you found it...

Nimbus'87 Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:22 pm

Sorry for the slight highjack... I'm due to test in Dec. Been going to the same ref. for over 8yrs. CARB now tells me I have to receive a "fail" from a smog center before they will give me an appointment. Needless to say, I can not find a center here in Riverside that will even think of smogging, especially without a "bar code". Kind of a new catch 22. Can't smog without the bc, can't get the bc without going to a ref.

On topic, yes, I too had to update my Cat finally and did buy thru Kennedy. I prefer to give our venders a dollar or two; especially the only one to make the effort to get a Ca. EO for our vans.

16CVs Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:33 pm

According to the ref I spoke with, if you get 3 shops to say they will not touch it then bring it to a ref.
Stay away from the big guys with the banners, go to a shop that can do repairs and Smogs. Make sure they have some old cars in the lot. Tell them you'll give em $20.00 more to do it. Print out the EO and bring it in.
If not grab a card from each of the shops that won't touch it, that should be enough for the ref.

Stacy

Jake de Villiers Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:30 am

Nimbus'87 wrote:
I prefer to give our venders a dollar or two; especially the only one to make the effort to get a Ca. EO for our vans. I agree wholeheartedly - we need to vote with our wallets in situations like these.

I'd like to point out that Stephan worked to get an Executive Order for the VW 1.8T conversion.

davideric9 Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:59 am

vanagonliebe wrote: I live in calfiornia and put the kennedy engineering EJ22 kit in my syncro about 4 years ago so that I could pass smog if ever needed. I went down to smog it for the first time last week and they said the kennedy smog plate wasn't in the system.

I'm confused. Does the current executive order supersede the previous orders? If I bought the Kennedy Kit under the executive order D-428-2 stating Catco 65004, and then I go for smog check, do I now need to comply with D-428-4 and get the Walker 81101?

Checking further I found this
"Any aftermarket catalytic converters sold to a vehicle owner or installed on or before an EO withdrawal or rescission date shall PASS the visual portion of the Smog Check inspection"

vanagonliebe Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:14 am

Ok, so it took a few months but I got to bottom of the KEP smog dilemma. I was able to talk to someone higher up at KEP and whatever kit and placard you purchased is what you are accountable to. If you have the earlier versions you do not need to upgrade anything to assimilate to new executive orders. I took my van into the BAR office as this is the only foolproof way to be able to smog anywhere in california. They check over your engine codes, all of your vacuum/charcoal canister lines and make sure you have all of the required KEP products on your van. They then smog it and give you a barcode. I had wired my van up using much of the subaru smog components so they sent me home to correct and re-install the vanagon purge valve and such but he said nothing about my current catalytic converter. If anyone has any questions feel free to message me, I learned a little bit going through the process. Plan ahead as well because it took me 2 months of waiting to even get an appt with the BAR office.

AZ Landshaper Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:27 pm

skills@eurocarsplus wrote: here's my point....

110 for a cat, lets say 15 bux for a flange times 2, so 30 bux, now you're at 140. if you don't have a welder, and you pay a shop to weld it up, lets call that another 75. now you're at 215

plus gaskets...say 10 bux...now 225. then go to a BAR appointment?

honestly, it's a case of spend your time or spend your money, not both. just trying to point out that for 250 it wouldn't be worth the hassle (to me) to try and save 25 bux.

not trying to start a war, just point out that it may not be worth it

I agree and the Kennedy Placard adds a few thousand bucks to the value of your rig upon resale.