TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1981 2.0 Vanagon timing
Jesse213 Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:56 pm

Hello, I am a complete noob with vanagons but I happened to stumble across a 1981 Volkswagen Westfalia that turns out has many problems! Iím having some trouble timing it someone before converted it to a Webercarb instead of the fuel injection so I was just wondering if anyone has and experience timing these. Iím a little confused, is the distributor rotor supposed to turn with the housing? Timing doesnít change one bit when I loosen distributor clamp and turn.

Wildthings Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:22 pm

The rotor should turn when the engine is cranked, if not pull the distributor and see what is going on.

You want to set your timing at 28į BTDC @3800+ rpms, hoses off and plugged. If you have a retard can and hose, you do not want them hooked up when running a progressive, just use the advance can and hose.

MarkWard Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:53 am

Engine off, if you rotate the distributor housing the rotor should remain fixed. When you time an engine, you are setting the relationship of where the rotor is pointing in relation to the base of the sparkplug wire that is firing.

You don't mention if you have points or electronic ignition. Perhaps a picture of the engine compartment.