TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Are my wheels stock? And Tire pressure?
Walty87 Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:46 am

I tried searching, but I could find an answer, or Iím just an idiot and donít know how to search very well, so Iím sorry in advanced if this is an easy answer.

How can you tell if you have stock wheels? Or maybe you guys can tell me from pics?

Also, the sidewall of my tire says 65psi, but that seems high to me? Everything Iíve searched on here talks about 40 something psi? I filled up the tires to 40 at the gas station (was sitting at low 30s all around) and they still ďfeelĒ kinda low when driving the thing. I know Iím not used to no power steering, but idk. Just feels like these tires are sluggish and like I said the sidewall say 65 psi .

As always thank you guys so much! I know some people get annoyed by repeat questions, and Iím sorry lol, but hey... they keep this board active and just give people more answers possibly when theyíre searching. Hope you guys have a great day

MarkWard Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:48 am

Stock 14 inch rims with correct size tires. Can't see the load rating, but 65 psi max indicates they are load reinforced tires. Use the sticker in the drivers door for the correct pressures for your van. It's ok if you don't run the max rated pressure. They look tired, excuse the puhn.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=584507

?Waldo? Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:51 am

Those appear to be stock size wheels and tires. It looks like the tires are 15 years old (according to what I assume is the date code) and they definitely look their age, which is fairly sketchy. 65psi is the maximum pressure the tires are rated for and definitely higher than what I would use.

I don't know what you mean by they 'feel kinda low' to you. What do you mean by 'sluggish'?

Wildthings Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:29 am

Your tires have a Load Rating Index of 102 which is fine. Yes they are old at this point. You might want to have a qualified person look them over and you should also keep an eye on the pressures. As tires fail from age one of the symptoms is increased loss of air pressure as the internals materials of the tires have been compromised by being in contact with pressurized oxygen for an extended length of time.

jimf909 Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:57 am

It looks like the date code is 3805 which indicates week 38 of 2005 so they're 15 years old. Most mfrs recommend replacing tires after 6-7 years.

If this van will be driven above 35 mph or for extended distances the tires I'll suggest the tires should be replaced regardless of the tread life. Owner's call though.

Xevin Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:23 pm

Buy new tires. This happened on the tires that came on my bus and a well known VW shop thought they had a little more life in them. Then doing 70mph
on the freeway. BOOM :shock:

For the most part I run recommended tire pressure from VW on all my VWs. Those engineers had a reason.

This is from the bug forum but the idea probably applies to Vans. Many people have run different tire pressure just fine over the years. Use the tire pressure sticker as a baseline.

viiking wrote: Itís all about the contact patch of the tyre. VW engineers knew it as well as knowing how much weight was on the front and back end. The contact patch is proportional to the weight that each tyre is supporting plus the air pressure and deflection that it exerts on the tyre.

Modern cars are heavy and need the extra pressure. VWís donít.

Increasing pressure above that recommended only results in LESS contact patch I.e. the amount of tyre in contact with the road and therefore reduces the road holding and braking ability.

F1 tyres run at pressures around 18psi. Why? Because in general this ensures as much of the tyre is in contact with the track without a bulge in the centre.

Abscate Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:49 pm

Are you going to throw that tire away,Xevin?

:lol:

Xevin Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:27 pm

Abscate wrote: Are you going to throw that tire away,Xevin?

:lol:

No, it was recycled into to fashionable menís belts and wallets :lol:

campism Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:15 pm

Xevin wrote: Buy new tires.
What he said. After my second old tire went out I finally got the message. In the very best of circumstances it will be an inconvenience and it could be much worse. And that goes for your spare, too.

Abscate Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:08 pm

If that's the hot, arid Central Valley of CA, those tires are done.

Get an owners manual and read it through. Tire pressures are discussed in that document. The pressure on the side is the MAXIMUM , not the recommended

Wildthings Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:19 pm

The pressures given on the sticker on the door frame will be close no matter the tire. You can add or subtract a few pounds to try and balance out how the vehicle rides and steers. If you are running with little added weight most of the time you can run less pressure, but it you want to drive 75mph carrying more than the rated axle loads you should be running more pressure than shown on the sticker.